Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

arrow question

muddy

I'm just about out of arrows and looking to possibly tweak my set up a bit.

Currently I'm shooting a 29 inch draw, around 70# and using GoldTip 5575 arrows with a 100 grain tip. Arrows are cut down a touch to maybe 27 1/2 inches to compensate for the "overdraw" type rest. I shoot mechanical broadheads and havn't had too many issues with pass thrus but am considering bumping to 125 grain tips as well as bumping to the GoldTip 7595 arrows for more spine and a little more arrow weight to pump up the kinetic energy.

Maybe I don't need to bump to the 7595? Any tech junkies able to convince me one way or the other?

FYI, the 5575 or 7595 is supposed to be the weight range the arrows are 'designed' for but I'm sorta at the upper end of the 5575 range.

You haven't had issues with pass throughs but you need more kinetic energy?Are you going hunting for something bigger than whitetails or do you just want your arrow stuck farther into the ground after a pass-thru?

Have been shooting 7595 gold tip pros @ 28.5 inches from the valley of the nock for 5 or 6 years now and will not switch. They fly like darts. Was getting inconsistent arrow flight with the 5575s. I am also shooting a 100 grn head.

I m curious as well. I m the same draw, arrow length, and I also shoot 5575 gold tips with rages. I have tried the 7595 seemed I had less consistency with them than the 5575 , am curious to see what replies you get . 100 grain head as well.

Muddy-shoot me your bow and year and Ill run them through Software for Archers. will get you optimal spine, arrow weight etc. I try to have my set-up so that it will perform on the worst hits, not necessarily the best, as most 'perfect' shots will work on a large range of set-ups. Hit a shoulder or bone, angles etc and more TAW may get you a harvest versus a lost deer. Penetration and sharp blades kill :)

That being said, I shoot 500 grain arrows with a 70# Z7 at 26.5 " and 125 grain heads. VERY QUIET bow and hits like a ton of bricks.

Last edited:
You haven't had issues with pass throughs but you need more kinetic energy?Are you going hunting for something bigger than whitetails or do you just want your arrow stuck farther into the ground after a pass-thru?

I'm getting a little arrow kick as well which I forgot to mention. And you can never have too much kinetic energy.

How much of a weight increase would you see from the 5575 to 7595? I liked to be around 420 grains total weight when I was shooting 70# Mathews. Anything more than that is just gravy!

I've never understood why the type of bow matters. As long as you know arrow weight, arrow speed, and spine all else falls into place.

Why would an arrow going 320 FPS out of a Mathews Z7 be any different than an arrow going 320 FPS out of a PSE X-force?

Sorry, XForce Long Draw. 8 in brace height, its a smooth operator. I think my arrows are 28 inches give or take.

I've never understood why the type of bow matters. As long as you know arrow weight, arrow speed, and spine all else falls into place.

Why would an arrow going 320 FPS out of a Mathews Z7 be any different than an arrow going 320 FPS out of a PSE X-force?

The KE would be the same but the type of cam-brace height etc can affect the arrow and flight characteristics of the arrow, spine etc. KE would be the same-but flight and penetration may not due to poor flight.

Crap, sorry.

GoldTip ProHunters 5575 +/- 0.5 grains Straightness of 0.001. Just measured them, 27.5 inches from insert tip to knock valley. I believe the bow is @ max let off for that model. As stated currently shootong 100 grain tips but thinking about going to 125.

Muddy-the 5575 are WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY underspined and I assumed would be with the hard cam. However, there is a light at the end of the tunnel, and unlike a patient told me once, it ISNT another train :)

The 7595 are dead on money. They would be perfect, if you stick with 100 grain. Now, going to 125 would indeed bump the TAW, BUT, would also DECREASE spine. So, the best combo is the 7595 cut to 27.5 ( from nock throat) and at 70# with the PSE XFORCE LD would Really be a great combo. If you shot fixed blades with your current set-up, the arrow would probably look like a boomerang, but the mechs are probably masking it.

You will be perfect with the 7595 buddy. Oh, the program had your bow at 8.5" BH? Is that possible? Or do I have the wrong bow? Either way, a shorter brace height would be MORE radical and further support a stiffer spine. Hope that helps and even with mechanicals, a proper tune will undoubtedly yield WAY better penetration. I sometimes feel a poor penetrating mechanical may in fact be the bows fault and not the BH :)

No, XForce LongDraw does indeed have a stupid big brace height, it is incredible to shoot.

Thanks for the info, I will likely stick with my 100 grain Grim Reaper mechs but they will now be on the 7595 GoldTips but I may cut them a little longer, 28 or 28.5.

Muddy, another thing to consider is wraps add spine. They also take front of center percentage away aswell. Maybe add a wrap and 125grain heads? Total weight is going increase, your spine will still lessen but it wont be as bad. just a thought.

Top Bottom