Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Arrow Shaft Question

deeraddict

PMA Member
My cousin who is fairly new to archery came over yesterday so I could help him tune his bow with his broadheads. I have followed the tutorials some have written on here in the past and had great luck making my fixed blades fly just like my field points. His bow was properly set up by the same shop as mine. He made his own arrows though and I fell that may be part of the issue as we could not get it to shoot the broad heads the same as field points for nothing. I had him shoot each head first. Elevation was close to the same with each, but broad heads shot about 8 to 10 inches right consistently. We adjusted the rest and shot broadheads again. It hit where he was aiming. Field point next short went about 8 inches left. As I stood behind him, I could see the arrow kick really hard as it came out of the bow. I had him switch to my arrows, and he grooped filed points and broadheads within a couple inches. My arrows are about 3 to 4 inches shorter. Could this be the difference? Shorter arrow a stiffer spine??? He is shooting a 29.5 " draw length Mathews HeliM @ 62#. I am shooting a 29.5 inch draw length Hoyt Spyder at 67#.

Yes-could be alot of things but arrow spine could be the issue. Try to buy a spinner made by companies like Apple. You can check each arrow with a FBBH before shooting as if not spinning well is a wasted effort to tune. The insert could also be misaligned which will show up when you spin it. What is the spine on his arrows versus yours?

Arrow length may not be the issue if he is shooting a .400 spine and needs a .300 etc.

He is shooting Gold Tip Hunter 5575's. I am shooting Beaman ICS Hunter 340's. I forgot to mention that his shot screwy out of my bow also. Had allot of kick to them. I just looked at the GT arrow selection chart and it looks to me that he may be over spined? Looks like he should be in a 340 spine not a 400. Could that be the issue? He is going to the archery shop today and I am sure they will get him straight.

Yes he's actually underspined. 340s will be stiffer. Some bows/shooters could probably shoot that setup but obviously his don't like it. Hand torque can magnify the effects. If his arrows can be cut down some that may get rid of it or A stiffer spine should help.

Last edited:
Yes he's actually underspined. 340s will be stiffer. Some bows/shooters could probably shoot that setup but obviously his don't like it. Hand torque can magnify the effects. If his arrows can be cut down some that may get rid of it or A stiffer spine should help.

OK, thanks for clearing that up. I thought it was the other way around.... I can see hand torque being an issue too as I noticed him gripping his bow tight on each shot. I tried to advise him to hold it with a loose grip but that fell on deaf ears. Kinda aggravating trying to help someone that is just starting out with some tips I have learned and being told I am wrong. He had his arrows cut off yesterday and still has the same issue.
Thanks.

In my opinion he should not be worrying about tuning his broad head flight just yet. If he's new to the archery world he needs to shoot shoot shoot and then shoot some more to learn how to shoot a bow properly. Just like you said, if he's torquing his bow that needs to be resolved before worrying about arrow flight. Blank bale shooting seems like it may be the way to start. With the basics. Good luck!

In my opinion he should not be worrying about tuning his broad head flight just yet. If he's new to the archery world he needs to shoot shoot shoot and then shoot some more to learn how to shoot a bow properly. Just like you said, if he's torquing his bow that needs to be resolved before worrying about arrow flight. Blank bale shooting seems like it may be the way to start. With the basics. Good luck!

Don't get me wrong, he is a decent shot, he has been shooting for the last 2 years and has hunted. He has not shot a deer yet or even drawn back on one, as he is waiting for a trophy.... Bad idea in my opinion, as again I advised he should shoot something to get one under his belt. However he is going Elk hunting in our group this September so it is key that he gets this figured out. I tried to get him going on this back in May, and he said he was. I was coaching softball from May until last week and this is the first time we have been able to shoot together.

If he can use your arrows that are 3 or 4 inches shorter, why is he using arrows that are 3 or 4 inches too long?

Try a lighter field tip and see if there is less or no kick when he shoots.

If he can use your arrows that are 3 or 4 inches shorter, why is he using arrows that are 3 or 4 inches too long?

Try a lighter field tip and see if there is less or no kick when he shoots.

He "thought" they needed to be shorter. I just talked to him a little bit ago. Her was on his way to the archery shop to have some 340 spine arrows set up for him. It is the same shop I use and they do great work. I never have any issues.

Top Bottom