Arrow Speed Advantage?

Phantom

PMA Member
I've been toying with the idea of picking up some new arrows. Here's the two scenarios shot out of a switchback at 63#.

1. Beman ICS Camo Hunters - arrow weight with 100 grain tip is 465 grains. These are shooting at 242 fps and pushing 60.48 of KE (have to love those online calculators!). I'm currently using these with 3 blade muzzy's and have good groups out to 40 yards.

2. GT Pro Hunters - arrow weight approx. with 100 grain tip is 386 grains; shooting 260 fps with 57.95 KE.

Question 1: Is picking up 18 fps an advantage? I'm thinking not as I use a rangefinder to range objects before shooting.

Question #2: If using a large mechanical for deer (1 3/4"), is there a minimum amount of velocity or KE one should use?

Any opinions/experiences would be appreciated. I'm not looking to increase the poundage as it's comfortable to hold, especially in cold weather.

Thanks for the help!

Phantom

The only advantage I've found with more speed is being able to shoot flatter and therefore taking some of the guesswork having to "pick your pin". This helps with 3D and hunting. If you read the thread entitled "feet per second", you'll see that you have to shoot pretty doggone fast to accomplish single-pin, longer shots. The only other advantage with shooting faster is less arch in your shot and therefore less chance of hitting that branch you didn't account for when big-boy walks by. Personally I think a bow being quiet is more important than it being fast. And you've already got that covered with possibly the quietest, smoothest bow on the market. If you choose the lighter arrow, your bow will get a little louder, probably not much though...

1. The extra speed probably ain't worth it in this situation, those numbers are pretty close and if you're shooting under 25 yards I wouldn't think it'd matter.

2. I'd take set up #1 if you're wanting to go to expandables. My bow is pretty quick, but my arrows are lighter and I don't get very high KE, thus, I've only had one pass through on 5 deer shot with expandables. Looking to fix that by getting heavier arrows, heavier expandables, and shooting some more pounds.

[ QUOTE ]
Personally I think a bow being quiet is more important than it being fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo.

Muddy, you're increasing pounds from 72?! Is your middle name Hulk?
grin.gif

No, not yet.
wink.gif
I'm still toying with that idea, nothing in concrete really. I get an idea and run with it... for about 30 seconds, then flip flop quickly. Could be indecisiveness (sp?) ,then again, it could be ADD.

Thanks for the advise fellas. You've helped confirm what I've been thinking. Might as well use this money towards a new lone wolf!
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
use this money towards a new lone wolf!
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

We have another BINGO!

Or you could use the money to help your buddy get a lone wolf and a new bow. I happen to to know he could use either.

Back