Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Arrow Wrap Removal

Willie

PMA Member
What's the best method for removing arrow wraps? I bought my first fletching jig last night and will be giving it a try tonight. I'm using blazers again this year so what's everyone use for glue? I bought Bohning's Platinum and AAE Fastset - which works better with blazers and wraps?

I just carefully scrape off the wrap with a razor blade knife and then wipe down the shaft with acetone before putting on a new wrap.
I've used Bohning's Platinum and Goat Tuff, both with great luck in adhesion with Blazers.

I talked with Gold Tip technical service and they suggested a hair dryer to remove the wraps. The heat loosens the adhesive making it easier to pull off. A little acetone to clean any leftover residue and you're good to go. I bought a bitzenburger last night and can't wait to try it out. I got the straight clamp because I wasn't sure how much helical you could get on a blazer if any. I'll be trying a 3 degree offset on my setup.

They make a wrap, vein removal tool from cabelas and it works very nice. It is formed to fit around the arrow shaft. Have used the razor blade and wasnt patient enough and scratched up the arrows and even cut to deep and splintered. Also had a guide on the back so you get the correct angle on the shaft.

Hair dryer seems like a great idea also. Have to try that one.

ummm...the hair dryer trick is a gimmick, the only thing the heat did was to make the adhesive more gummy and difficult to scrape off. Ended up just using a razor blade tool that came with our cooktop stove. Wrap removal was a breeze with that.

When I walked out of the house and into the garage with the wife's hair dryer she just stared at me and said "you've got to be kidding me" and then when I walked out with here stove tool she just rolled her eyes and didn't even say a word. Another few years and I might have her trained to just completely ignore me when this time of year comes around
grin.gif

Anyway, the bitz worked awesome. Took a couple of fletches to get the process down of putting the clamp on the jig and sliding it across the magnets. Probably one of the better investments I've made in archery gear!

[ QUOTE ]
When I walked out of the house and into the garage with the wife's hair dryer she just stared at me and said "you've got to be kidding me" and then when I walked out with here stove tool she just rolled her eyes and didn't even say a word. Another few years and I might have her trained to just completely ignore me when this time of year comes around
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

30577-rotflmao1.gif
30577-rotflmao1.gif
very funny. They must have all gone to the same seminar. "OK ladies role your eye and look away at this point"
busted.gif

The Bitz is a great jig. By the way, I do put my Blazers on with a helical.

I used the hot water routine several times but found that I had to replace my nocks as they don't like hot water. I should have taken them off before submerging in the hot water.

I ran across a better method this summer when tuning my bow w blazer vanes. I was shooting a lot of vanes off and tried to get by with just replacing the missing vane rather the whole wrap and three new vanes. I was using the zip tool to get the residual glue that was left off the arrow and noticed how easily it stripped off the glue and wrap. No more messing with hot water and sticky glue for me, I just strip em off with the zip tool.

Try a water and stain repellant spray. It gets stickers off cardboard boxes.

Top Bottom