Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Art

S

Sexcrazedbuck

In the past few weeks I have been spending some free time drawing some pictures of some of my favorite deer photographs. I was wondering if anybody here has a favorite artist and/or piece of art. Mine is a painting named "Thank You God" created by Desmond McCaffrey. To me this piece of art tells a complete story.

Some of my all time favorite art has always been the prehistoric cave paintings. As far as today, Cecelia Henle is one of my favorites. I like primal stuff...

This is one of hers...

10094758.jpg

That's pretty nice Kat.

Most of my all time favorites are done by our own Oldbuck, Larry Zach. I have been watching for an opportunity to buy some of his older prints that I really like. "April Sunrise" is high on that list and may be attainable, another is "November Frost" and I think that one is out of reach. There are so many talented artists, Old Buck happens to be doing our state, our game and our woods. It adds a lot to the attraction for me.

This has been a paid advertisement.
busted.gif
Not really but Oldbuck if you could fined me a greatly discounted copy of this print I'd keep talking.
grin.gif

http://zachwildlifeart.com/zgnovemberfrost.html

my latest piece is a redlin called sharing the bounty, hey old buck if you are out there send me a list of some options if ya got any for sale i would love to buy or two

mike

I love Old Bucks work, hope to own one or two in the future. I also like Jack Paluh, have one of his. His Eastern Woodland Indians paintings are just awesome. Check him out at www.jackpaluh.com

Two of my favorite artists are Robert Bateman and Bev Doolittle. I have just one of Doolittle's prints but it is by far not one of her best. Her early prints as well as Bateman's work are a little high$ for me. Well worth the money though.

SCB, I checked out Desmond McCaffrey,couln't place the name, I just knew him as "the kill zone" artist. Very intense, maybe too graphic for some. 'Thank You God' is very powerful. I really liked 'The Moment of Truth.'

http://www.wildlifeexperience.com/desmondmccaffrey.htm

Bobcat, I was unfamiliar with Jack Paluh's work. Very nice, especially the Eastern Indian series.
beerchug.gif

Jim Kasper, Robert Bateman and Steven Kozar have some good stuff.

Bobcat, if you like Jack Paluh check out Robert Griffing (I think his work's better).
Kat, hadn't heard of Henle before. Thanks! Primal is good
beerchug.gif

Ironwood, thanks for the kind words. We do have a November Frost, framed at the gallery that is a secondary market print but, unfortunately, it doesn't come cheap.

Shortfused and Bobcat, we have lots of art available over a wide price range. The easiest way to get a look is to check out our website, www.zachwildlifeart.com. It also has some great video of 200"+ bucks for those who haven't seen them yet.

We also support a lot of conservation efforts so you will usually find one or more Zach prints at most IBA, PF, DU, Whitetails Unlimited, Iowa Wild Turkey Federation, RMEF, Ike's and other banquets.

Lee County Pheasants Forever does a tremendous amount of conservation work. They will have their banquet on March 28, 2004 and will have 23, framed, Zach prints on auction including most sold out images. To my knowledge this is the largest collection of Zach prints to be auctioned at a conservation banquet. You can get ticket information by calling (515) 327-5990 ext 27 and ask for Rick.

We will also have a quadruple booth full of art and big game heads at the Iowa Deer Classic in mid March. Hope to see many of you there!

Old Buck
893USA1-thumb[1].gif

Ironwood,

Just talked to the guy setting up the auction. They will actually have closer to 30 Zach pieces including November Frost, Broken Solitude, Double Trouble, Storm's End, all three Old Rivals. Looks like a rare opportunity to pick up some hard to find, sold out prints. Also heard a rumor that they may have a November Frost on a $20 raffle so someone may get a real steal.

Old Buck

That sounds great, any chance they could move the Auction a little close to my home.
grin.gif
I don't want much, just what I want.

Seriously Oldbuck thanks for the info and I will be calling to check on the banquet.

old buck, better known as Larry Zach. He is one of my favorites. I never had bought art work until I saw some of Zachs work. I now have so many I don't have room for them. I am on a call list when a new one comes out. I hope that one of these days I will harvest a big one that he will want to use in one of his paintings.
893USA1-thumb[1].gif

Old Buck.....you posted the date of March 28th for the Lee County Pheasants Forever. It is the 28th of February as far as I know...at least that's when I'm going.

Old Buck is by far my favorite wildlife artist.
waytogo.gif

The auction is a lot of fun, just wish there was a way to get all the Doctors, Lawyers and too well to do to just stay home. Most of the prints will get way out of range quickly.

Old Buck, I have one of your 1983 Iowa Duck Stamp prints of two woodducks 38/75 really like it. Was that your first Iowa duck stamp print?
Hunt on All4s

Before making this post I did not know you OLd Buck as Larry Zach. But of course I am somewhat familiar with your work. After spending some time on your site I am truly impressed with everything, especially the stories behind the work! The video footage is like something I have never witnessed before. Now I just have to save some lute!

Rudd Rudd easy. PM when you want to bad mouth me.
wedgie.gif

Ghost I can't make it Saturday. Would you bid for me?
grin.gif

I'm also a collector of Old Buck's prints, in fact, I'm running out of wall space
confused.gif
. "November Frost", which was the first print I ever purchased and "Broken Solitude", which I picked up on the secondary market, are my two favorites. I'm not sure it's possible to depict the Iowa woods in November any better than these paintings do.

Old Buck,
I've often wondered, any story behind the two dominant bucks in "November Frost"?

...just got my "Foggy Morning Trio" framed, another beautiful print
bow.gif
. Keep up the great work
waytogo.gif
!

Ironwood,

It is a way down to Ft. Madison but it is a fun trip down looking at all the habitat and wondering how many booners you are driving by along the way.

QDMer, Thanks for the kind words. I also hope you will shoot that monster that I'll want to use in a painting. How about a 7 1/2 year old buck with tremendous mass, ridges, forks, stickers and double, matching droppers. New state record nontypical. Now picture him working a scrape.....

Ghost,

THANKS! IT IS THE 28TH OF FEBRUARY!
You saved me from hearing how someone missed a chance at their favorite print because I messed up the date.

If some do go at a high price look at the bright side. The money is going to a great cause. Just bid them up so they don't get anything too cheap! Onecam and I were just at vman's
893USA1-thumb[1].gif
NWTF banquet and are both kicking ourselves for letting some bronzes go for much less than they should have.

all4s,

The 1984 Iowa Duck Stamp, which I painted in 1983 was my very first print and one of my first paintings. I was as surprised as anyone when it won the competition.

Two Beards,

Those two prints are also favorites of many other collectors. If you don't have a rider on your home owners insurance policy you may want to add one in case you ever need to replace them. Check the 'insurance values' on the website.

November frost started with a great buck shot by Sam Townsend in Illinios. It won the Tri-state deer classic in 1987. It was such an impressive rack that I designed the painting around it creating a scene I'd like to see while bowhunting. I actually made the rack less massive than it really was and left off about 7 points because I didn't think anyone would find the rack believable. Nowdays people have seen a lot of big racks at classics and I paint them like they really are.

Old Buck

Ironwood.....send me a signed blank check and I will take care of the rest.
grin.gif

I will even keep it on my wall until the classic.
busted.gif

Seriously, I would be happy to bid with your money.

Top Bottom