Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

As we embark on another season …..

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
……. My “deep thoughts” of the day ;)….
You are competing with YOU…. & maybe the deer. You aren’t competing with guys on FB, Instagram, even your buddies & even your neighbors. Your time will come.
Be happy for those that shoot a giant. It’s rare & as humans it’s easy to go “man, that dude shot a giant, I’m jealous!” The guys you see that do shoot a giant- for each one of them there’s a million that don’t. But don’t even give that your mental energy. Relax, hunt, take time with yourself, your friends & nature.
To the % of you who will take this advice…. Your season will be better if you can figure out a way to set any jealousy aside & truly be happy for other successful hunters. The successful hunter will be YOU at some point (hopefully this season!) & you want folks happy for you when it happens. You will have a far more successful season regardless of what happens if you can progress in this mental aspect of this great time outdoors. Return the favor in advance & be happy for the rare occasions someone shoots “a big one”.

Jealousy ruins people.

It’s a deer!!!!! Life is short!!!! We have very few seasons to enjoy!!!! I had issues with this as a young hunter. The time & energy I wasted on this & how it negatively impacted me- I wish I could take it back …. Or know what I know now. I have grown with age…. Jealousy has no place in hunting & I promise you, after 30 years of doing this with passion…. You will far more enjoy this season with a peaceful mind, enjoying the hunt, being happy for others, not worrying about what is posted on FB, IG, here, anywhere. Enjoy my friends. I wish you all the most enjoyable & fulfilling hunting season as possible!!!!

Proverbs 27:4 tells us, “Anger is cruel, and wrath is like a flood, but jealousy is even more dangerous.”

Exodus 20:17

“You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, or his male servant, or his female servant, or his ox, or his donkey, or anything that is your neighbor's.”

Philippians 2:3

Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.

Good luck, be safe & grow as hunters in all sense of the word. & ya- I’m stoked to see you guys shoot some bigguns!!

Could not be truer spoken (written) words. My personal choice years ago was to have zero time invested in any social media. The two biggest reasons being all the damage that i've seen social media jeaolousy create. Second reason being it's a huge time suck. Our countries people would be immensely happier without all the social media clogging up peoples brains with mostly unnecessary garbage. A society of unhappy people who feel like they need more more more because apparently everyone's lives are seemingly better than their own. Have more "things", have more fun......or specifically in the hunting world how many jealous hunters have evolved. It also creates a sense amongst the hunting community that no deer is big enough anymore. If it's not a booner or better it's not noticed or appreciated. We all know how exciting it is when we put a deer on the ground no matter doe or buck or size of buck. Social media has done little positive IMO for the hunting world. (Not saying it's all negative or hurtful to hunting, there are some positive things as well). However on average it has only degraded what hunting used to always be about. (That topic alone could go deep for many reasons).

My biggest wish for deer hunting is that the younger generations behind me can find a way to.......just simply go hunt. Go dive deep into the outdoors and nature and enjoy the amazingness of it all for themselves, friends and family. The reality behind deer hunting that social media has all but erased is that deer hunting is such a truly simple activity. The level of happiness should never ever be gauged by the kill or inches on a deers head, but instead the beauty of nature and the thrill of the pursuit and all the hunts gone on. And when we kill a good buck enjoy those sweet valuable moments in time. When that other guy kills a good buck be able to be just as happy for them. Once again its just deer hunting!

My 2 1/2 cents worth!!

Could not be truer spoken (written) words. My personal choice years ago was to have zero time invested in any social media. The two biggest reasons being all the damage that i've seen social media jeaolousy create. Second reason being it's a huge time suck. Our countries people would be immensely happier without all the social media clogging up peoples brains with mostly unnecessary garbage. A society of unhappy people who feel like they need more more more because apparently everyone's lives are seemingly better than their own. Have more "things", have more fun......or specifically in the hunting world how many jealous hunters have evolved. It also creates a sense amongst the hunting community that no deer is big enough anymore. If it's not a booner or better it's not noticed or appreciated. We all know how exciting it is when we put a deer on the ground no matter doe or buck or size of buck. Social media has done little positive IMO for the hunting world. (Not saying it's all negative or hurtful to hunting, there are some positive things as well). However on average it has only degraded what hunting used to always be about. (That topic alone could go deep for many reasons).

My biggest wish for deer hunting is that the younger generations behind me can find a way to.......just simply go hunt. Go dive deep into the outdoors and nature and enjoy the amazingness of it all for themselves, friends and family. The reality behind deer hunting that social media has all but erased is that deer hunting is such a truly simple activity. The level of happiness should never ever be gauged by the kill or inches on a deers head, but instead the beauty of nature and the thrill of the pursuit and all the hunts gone on. And when we kill a good buck enjoy those sweet valuable moments in time. When that other guy kills a good buck be able to be just as happy for them. Once again its just deer hunting!

My 2 1/2 cents worth!
Couldn't agree more!

Oops. Made 2 threads. I’ll delete other…. Here was other comments…
I really enjoy the pursuit of a trophy buck, but I’ve come to realize the habitat improvements, planting apple and oak trees,food plots, cameras etc.. are almost getting to be more fun overall .

Great exercise and in a sense a really fun hobby ! The addiction is very good for the body and mind (in my opinion)!

Sharing hunts with family & friends is as good as it gets ! Sometimes just shooting a doe and dragging it out with your son or buddy ranks just a notch below with a trophy hunt now . You change as you age !
The best part is time with family and friends. A nice buck for the group is celebrated for sure, but I never lose sight of the opportunity to be with those I love. Perhaps I'd feel differently if I were doing solo sits for days on end

Great post Skip. There seems to be an unrealistic expectation in the hunting community that you're gonna be able to kill a mature buck every year if you're a good hunter. Some guys string together a good number in a row, but on a long term scale it's a tall order to maintain. I used to get very mad when I didn't kill the caliber deer I wanted and I let it get to me. Last year I ate 2 tags and it was the first time I was actually ok with it. Lots of variables out of our control, (EHD, cars, bad luck, etc) so when it happens it's a moment to cherish. Living in the Midwest we're blessed to have immense opportunity compared to most guys in the US.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Top Bottom