Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

At what height?

DoneRight

PMA Member
I've wondered for a while at what height do most other hunters hunt at? Do most hunt from ground blinds, 12' high, 16' high , or 20' high and taller. Or is it all situational, and/ or a personal preference. I know people who swear by ground blinds, and I know alot (including myself) that prefer to be 16' and taller. At what height does everyone prefer?

I love to be at least 20 but it is very situational. Sometimes I can't get higher than 12ft, sometimes I need to get 30 ft depending on terrain etc. I have even hunted as high as 5ft with luck. It just depends and once in awhile a little creativity is involved.

I'd have to say for me, it just depends on the situation. If there's no trees then the ground blind is the only option, if I've got a great big oak with tons of limps I'm going to try and get up as high as I can, if I've got a smaller tree and that's all that i can work with I've sat 15 feet off the ground in them before.

Normally I try to stay around that 20ft range, I feel like its a good height for me and at the same time, I'd say you don't quiet stick out as much on a good straight tree as you would at 12 or 15 feet off the ground. A lot of this is all opinion and preference, I've got buddies who go up to 30 and I know people who prefer ground blinds.

I rarely go above 20 feet because of the shot angles. If you get much above 20 feet you have a hard time getting a double-lung shot from such a steep angle. I also have a ground blind and have taken a couple deer out of it, but never a mature buck. I am not that fond of it, and I think it is hard to get the deer used to it without leaving it out for weeks.

I prefer to be 16-22'. I don't go over that for 2 reasons.
1. I'm a wussy about heights
2. Shot angle is too steep and I'm afraid of single lung shots

I've got a stand or two set at 12' because of the situations but the rest of the time I'm usually 16-20'. If you're set correctly and not a wiggle worm, you're not going to get picked off that often due to sub 30' stands imo.

My preference is 25' to 32'. I haven't had a problem with wounding a deer in 9 years, my shots are money, I haven't been spotted at that height in so long I can't remember AND I can get away with movement that others get busted with but never realize it. I never found any problem with the shot angle. I can't see how others have problems and my shots are easy kills, but to each his own. Just my preference. I sure get some crazy looks from my buddy's that see my stands though. Falling out like I did in 2006 when I was setting one up is not recommended though. :)

Last edited:
As long as have a solid limb or two to stand on when strapping my portable to the tree I like to be 18-24 ft up. I hate trying to set up a stand using only one hand while hanging from a tree peg with the other hand while i am 20 plus ft in the air. I like to have a limb or two near my waist height for cover and it makes me feel more secure to have something to lean against. Height gets me a little uneasy. I would rather be safe and risk being spotted, than being 30 ft up and uncomfortable all day.

My stand that stay put all year are around 15-17 feet, but if I pack in and hunt (stand and 4 LW sticks) I end up around 22-24 feet if the tree/terrain allow.

i use a summit viper only and i climb it until i feel a little fidgety than i stop, sometimes its 18 to 20 ft sometimes it 10 to 15...also depends on the situation. if i can get into a tree with a lot of cover around it i wont go as high. my honey hole stand is only about 10 ft off the ground and i've had bucks literally walk under me in it....

My back is like glass ,due to many fused verterbra, so I dare not go over 14 ft, into a ladderstand with railings all around. Demands lots of cover around behind, and as little movement as possible.

My pull up rope is right at 18 ft and I try to get the platforms of my hang-ons near that level, +/- 2 ft.

1 X 15' ladder stand
1 X 16' ladder stand
1 hang on @ 12' due to tree (only 7 inches)
1 hang on @ 18'
1 hang on @ 15'
1 hang on @ 10' due to tree and terrain, it's a large oak and I can literally do jumping jacks in it and not be seen.

1 climber with a 18' pull rope that I go 12-20 depending on tree

typically 20-25 but once I had one that seemed to high for me ( I didnt have a choice considering the terrain) So I ranged it sitting down in the stand straight to the ground and it said 13 yds. (39ft) I didnt sit there to many times.

Just depends on the terrain. A 15' ladder in brushy timber works well just like a 30' hang on works in more open timber. My shortest stand is a 8' hang-on and my tallest stand is a 30' hang on. I do prefer to hunt higher when I can though so when the arrow passes through the blood will come out the bottom and I'll get a better trail usually.

In the end, whatever you feel safe doing is what is most important.

Top Bottom