Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

atv equipment

stoney15

I have 57 acres of land and want to put in food plots next year. I dont have a tractor or any type of large equipment. I do have a Grizzly 700 and was wondering how the atv equipment works for putting in corn and beans. More than likly I will do around 5 acres, maybe as much as 10. Is it worth it to invest in the atv equipment or not? Should I just wait and save up for a small tractor and that type of equipment. I am sure it would take me a few years to get the money for that though. So I guess what I am asking is does the atv equipment work very well?

I wouldnt want to try to do 5-10 acres with an ATV. Your money would be much better spent on some old outdated farm equipment that can often be picked up much cheaper than ATV equipment.

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldnt want to try to do 5-10 acres with an ATV. Your money would be much better spent on some old outdated farm equipment that can often be picked up much cheaper than ATV equipment.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree!

I would invest in a tractor and 3 pt equipment also. You could get a good tractor and just about everything you need for what it would cost you to replace your 4 wheeler after you tear it up from planting 5+ acres of food plots.

Even if you were planting an acre, a tractor would still be worth the investment. You won't be sorry you bought one. Plus, you feel more like a 'farmer' on a tractor!
grin.gif

if you had a honda foreman it would be a cake walk!!!
smirk.gif
smirk.gif
smirk.gif

haha, but for real i wouldn't try and do that much with a wheeler your lookin at a lot of time and swear/tear on your fourwheeler. the tractor would probably be a better bet

Yes, it would be easier on farm equipment, however, any four-wheel drive quad that is bigger than a 500 will suffice in using a small food plot type planter. so if it is cheaper to get a small planter, and you dont mind the extra time it takes on the 4-wheeler, id go with the 4 wheeler. but i dont know for sure the cost on a planter specifically designed for food plots.

A good sprayer, some roundup, and a hand seeder will get you a good clover plot. I don't know how you would keep it mowed but at least it is a start while you save for a tractor.
Agree with sentiments above- a nice old tractor can be had for less than many ATVs and used implements can be found at auction for little more than scrap metal price if you are patient.

Or if you have a neighbor pretty close that will let you borrow his tractor or do it for you, is a pretty cheap way to go.

I plant 3 acres of food plots on my place using my atv and it works great.The key with the atv disc is use round up first to kill the sod and it's roots and it will tear it up just fine.Get a good atv disc, the tuffline biologic atv disc works great, or the new hunters specialties atv disc, both can be bought at Bass Pro.The equipment I use are this: Polaris 700, biologic disc,Northern tools atv sprayer,Moultrie atv broadcast spreader,swisher chain harrow,swisher rough cut mower.This works great for me, besides you already have the 4 wheeler.

10 acres with an ATV wouldnt be too bad with the spraying or broadcast planting, maybe even dragging it all, but no way I would even consider discing 10 acres. I used an ATV disc on 1/2 acre of recently farmed ground and it worked, but took me over an hour to get it the way I wanted it and I was pulling it with a small tractor and using alot of extra weight. If you cant swing a tractor, hire a neighbor.

As far as breaking up ground your dreaming if your going to do with an ATV. You can try one of the expensive ATV discs like the HS Outdoors disc, several pro shops in MN rent them out by the day, but it only does it medeocre(sp?). Broadcast, spraying, dragging, your set with your wheeler. You can buy a broadcast spreader for under $200. Sprayer around $325. Drag... Old bed spring
smile.gif
Free.

As far as row planting, maybe look around some farms for an OLD 2-row ground drive planter. A couple of them may make 1 good one.

Good luck.

Dean

I'd ask a neighboring farmer to run a disc over it for you before you attack it with an ATV...Or you could look at renting some heavier equpiment from an implement place.

Top Bottom