Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

ATV Trails/Shade question

bowhuntr311

IowaWhitetail Addict
I was visting one my land owners that allow me to hunt his property this weekend and we got to talking foodplots. He would let me do some food plot type stuff but does not want me touching any of his ag fields and does not want me clearing any woods to really speak of. Most of the trails on his property now are already nicely cleared and are mostly grass and some natural clover. I already know that clover will do alright in the shade.

My question is more pertaining to Peas, rape/turnips, chicory.
I would like to plant something different, other than clover. The farmer has several clover/hay fields close. Im looking for something for a little colder weather food. If I was to go peas or rape or chicory what do you think will come of it with very little light. I can spray, mow, till(lightly) all these trails what would be my best options being in the woods. These trails get mowed once a year so brush in the trails isnt an issue. There will be very little ATV traffic if I opt to plant something.

What plants can handle very little direct sunlight and still thrive.
Let me know what you guys think.

Dean

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What plants can handle very little direct sunlight and still thrive.
</div></div>

Most conventional plantings rarely seem to thrive in shaded areas that I have tried but if soil moisture is good then they may do alright.

I would try rape and chicory perhaps but I'm not sure about peas?

Maybe others have things they have tried with success but I have always had very poor results in shade.

Rye and clover is all I have had luck with in shade. My chicory is spotty at best in my shaded plot. Haven't tried rape.

I tried seeding logging roads with very little luck.

Chickory and clover will do alright, they just won't do real well.

Top Bottom