Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

ATV

two_n_ia

Hello all, I am looking for some advice, I am in the market for a ATV. I have found a Polaris Magnum 325 4x4 and was wondering if this would be big enough? It will be used for hunting, going out on the ice for fishing, and pushing snow.

Thanks,

Justin

Sounds kinda small to push much snow with but I'd think it would do fine for general ATV stuff, but I only have experience with a 660 Grizly and a Rhino thats tried to kill me twice.

The 'Bonker

Depends how much snow your looking to push and how often. The 325 magnum will be alright for pushing snow aslong as you go nice and easy with it. It wouldnt be my first choice but it should work. I've plowed, with a sportsman 400, up to 10inches and the real problem is weight. Some people use chains on the tires, I have not. Power shouldnt be the concern. Wheelers also dont push snow into piles real well like pickups. My hunting parter tried an atv plow two years ago. Plowed 6inchs of wet snow down the driveway a decent width. 2weeks later we got another 4inches and he couldnt throw the snow over the banks, so his driway was about a foot more narrow. Well after that we figured out that had we gotten 4 or 5 more snows he may only have had 1 vehical width to get down the driveway. Now he pushes real wide real early.
Go ice fishing, general riding, other misc tasks your going to be fine with.
Foodplots... If you intend on doing "light work" like dragging a bed spring, pull behind seeder you'll be fine. If your going to try discing or a digger device dont bother.

Another thought is that the Magnums are all straight axles and ride like a lumber wagon compared to the Sportsman.

I dunno...but it seems kind of ironic to me that Bonker was the first person to reply to a post asking for ATV advice. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I have a Yamaha 350 Grizzly and I plow snow with it frequently with very good results. After last winter and this, I don't know what I ever did without it.

I bought it knowing it was not going to drag a disk and other heavy duty work, but it is quite handy in every other respect. Short of disking and plowing, I would imagine that a 350 on up would be very sufficient for normal tasks, including snowplowing.

justin, my brother has a polaris 400 or 425 4x4, chain driven with a blade and he plows my drivway( not in 4-wheel drive) and it works great.I have a Kawasaki Bayou 300 4x4 full time without a blade,and its shaft driven. and will go any where my brothers 400 will go, mines all wheel drive, where he can shift his to either or.im not sure how much you plane to push,but if you stay on top of it , im sure your 325 will work fine.you cant expect to plow 10 inches of snow unless you take your time and do it in sections. if the snow is not really packed, put it in low and go, just dont let it pile up,keep on top of it and youll be fine.if my 300 will climb a hill a billygoat cant, yours will to. you have to use the machine wisley!youll be using it more for hunting and fishing, than plowing snow, - kinda like me- trust yourself with the purchase and youll be happy.you just neeed to figure out what your going to be using it for, but im sure if the machines in perfect running order, youll be fine.

I have a 2006 Honda 350 Rancher with full time 4x4. It has the electronic shift push buttons. It plows snow just fine but as stated earlier, push your snow piles well out of the way to anticipate future snow. I have a King Kutter disc/harrow that works just fine with it. The Honda I bought has a very low granny gear that gets me started with my disc and two different harrows. After I am moving I go to second gear and keep it there. Works great. I havn't had any problems with mine. I have hooked my trailer up to it and loaded it with firewood too with no problems. The key to my 350 is definitely the low gear. Without it I wouldn't be able to pull my disc. This atv WILL NOT pull a plotmaster in wet conditions. Good luck shopping!

Top Bottom