Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

ATV's

idsman75

A promotion and a couple of raises this year are posturing me for the purchase of an ATV. I know absolutely nothing about them. I've only been a passenger on 2 of them. Should I look for new or used? What should I look for when I am looking at used? What should I be cautious about? This one is wide open to opinions.

Looking for an ATV?
I bought a 2001 model. I spent allot of time on the internet researching. If you plan on hunting for your main use I would look into a four wheel drive.
I looked at used, but it seemed new was not that much more.
I wanted something with independant suspension, four wheel drive, speedo, for a good price. I also wanted something made in the USA.
I decided to go with an Artic Cat Atv.
I love the machine and have had very little problems.
One problem is there is no dealer in my town. So I have to drive a ways to get parts or service.
So if price is not a big issue and brand is not a big factor, I would buy from the closest dealer with a good rep.
It is so true about good service after the sale.
Good Luck,
BOWDUDE

[This message has been edited by BOWDUDE (edited 01-28-2002).]

go with a polaris sportsman 335, 400, or 500 they also have 700's now they are good for hauling deer and things like that

I spent alot of time this past summer 4 wheeling in southern Ohio. Just about everyone on the Ohio river valley owns one.
If I was in your shoes which I am I would buy a new one this spring like I plan to do. I have rode quite a few different models and my prefrence is the Honda 4x4 with the electronic shift. It will outsteer the Polaris on any given day and has the power to get the job done no matter what model you get. That is just my opinion and some may disagree. Do yourself a favor and test ride the two. You will see the difference. Polaris and or the kawasaki would be number #2 on my list.

I have been the owner of a Honda for many years with no problems.I have a freind that has a polaris that he burried one day in the mud.He tried for a few minutes to free it on his own with no prevail.We had to use another 4 wheeler to pull it free, but in the process of him trying to free it he burned a flatspot on the belt.He owns an older sportsman, maybe they have revamped the drive a little by now. The sportsman is also more top heavy that my Honda 300 is.The bad part about my honda is it's a full time 4 wheel drive so it's more of a work horse than a trail machine.

I would most deffinetly go with the honda either used or new. The honda's may not be a speed quad but they are the best for work and they last a lifetime. I have put my quad through some rough stuff and it survived to tell about it. my father's fist quad was a honda and it was used and abussed when we got it almost ten yeard ago and we rolled it and beat it up pretty well and then about five years ago we sold it to a nabour and he is still using it to this day no problems. my father know owns 2 foreman 450 es's and I have a foreman 400 that I've had since 1998 and the only thing that I had to replace was the handle bars because i've rolled it a couple times. So I would most deffinantly look in to the Honda's if u want a quad that lasts a lifetime.

Honda has to have the best rep. for quality, but check in to what you want to do.
If I were riding only I would have chosen something else.
The Arctic Cat has three speed transfer case which allows me low speeds for spreading seed, lime, and etc. .
It also had the selectable four wheel drive, and had the most options for the money. (speedo, independant suspension, fender extensions, floor boards)
These are my reasons. A suz. dealer told me the biggest mistake most people do is buying these big 500cc engines for a job a 250cc machine will do.
Mabye its like my wife says, most of us men think bigger is better. (MORE PWR)
Find the most rep. dealer that is close!!!!!

LAST SUMMER I BOUGHT ONE OF THE NEW YAHMAHA GRIZZLY 660'S. THIS IS BY FAR THE BEST 4-WHEELER ATV I HAVE EVER OWNED. I HAD A POLARIS AND A HONDA, NO COMPARISON. IT'S AN AUTOMATIC WITH 2-WHEEL HIGH, 2-WHEEL LOW, 4-WHEEL HIGH, 4-WHEEL DRIVE LOW. IT'S GOT A LEVER SELECTOR ON THE HANDLEBARS WHICH LET'S YOU SELECT BETWEEN 2-WHEEL DRIVE, FULL TIME 4-WHEEL DRIVE AND ALSO AUTO-4-WHEEL DRIVE. THE AUTO 4-WHEEL DRIVE IS GREAT. IT RUNS IN TWO WHEEL DRIVE UNTIL YOUR REAR TIRES LOSE TRACTION THEN THE FRONT AUTOMATICALLY LOCKS IN AND OUT OF 4-WHEEL DRIVE DEPENDING ON THE TERRAIN. GREAT FOR RUNNING IN THE TIMBER ON TRAILS WHEN YOU DON'T NEED FULL TIME 4-WHEEL DRIVE UNTIL YOU NEED IT, AND THEN IT'S AUTOMATIC. NO MANUAL SWITCHING IN & OUT OF 2 WHEEL & 4-WHEEL. IT IS REALLY SET-UP FOR ANY TYPE OF RIDING YOU CAN GET IT INTO. IT ALSO HAS INDEPENDENT SUSPENSION AND A DIGITAL LED SPEEDOMETER, TRIP METERS, FUEL GUAGE AND CLOCK. I'M NOT SAYING THE OTHER BRANDS AREN'T JUST AS GOOD. IT'S JUST THAT IN MY EXPERIENCES THIS GRIZZLY IS BY FAR THE BEST I HAVE HAD.

I drove a Yamaha 660 a couple weeks ago, and it is by far the best 4-wheeler I have ever driven, it has tons of power.

I like the sounds of the Grizzly. We don't have much selection here . I guess I'm just not impressed with what I've seen. The closest dealer has lines and lines of used garbage and one or two new models.

I'm going to hold off until the spring. I will be getting another raise in May. That should be just the right time to get serious.

[This message has been edited by idsman75 (edited 02-01-2002).]

I forgot to mention that I'm in Sioux City. I just checked out the Yamaha dealer who sells Harley's and Yamahas on HWY 75. Does anyone have any opinions on the Kodiak?

[This message has been edited by idsman75 (edited 02-17-2002).]

Top Bottom