Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

AZ Elk Hunt Journal 2012

AZHunter

Iowa Boy At Heart
I finally found some time to get my AZ elk hunting journal started. Sorry for the long read on this first entry, but it’s been a busy spring and summer getting ready.

My excitement started back in April (9th to be exact) during a staff meeting in Phoenix when my wife sent me a text message letting me know that the draw results were posted. This was one of those days where my habit of sitting in the “peanut gallery” behind the big boss (runs all 3 of our AZ FWS offices) paid off. I suppose it was also fortunate that the online system was crashed from everyone else across the country accessing it. I wonder how much trouble I would have gotten in had I actually gotten through right then and then not be able to contain my excitement. That was the longest 2 hour drive from Phoenix to Flagstaff then a long soccer practice for my daughter. When we finally got home, I was able to log on and the system worked after several attempts. What a sight to see: “Draw: Successful; Hunt: Archery bull elk Sept 14-27; Unit: 6B.” I actually had to do a double take because I didn’t remember putting in for the hunt in unit 6B. 5A was my first choice and with 6 points, I was certain I would get my first choice. Then it hit me that I had decided on 6B for my 2nd choice because it was closer to home and I had a couple of friends that knew the unit fairly well, including a friend that took a 330” bull last year on the 2nd day of the hunt. And to add to that excitement, I was issued tag #1 of 129 for my 2nd choice.

All of the planning began in earnest shortly after that. The first step was to get new strings on my bow. My string was borderline needing replaced and there was no sense in getting my pins dialed in now, just to need a new string and then have to correct my pins in August or early September. I typically shoot 40 yards and occasionally dabble at 50 and 60 yards to make sure I can make something work if I can’t sneak in close enough. After talking to a friend of mine, I decided this year, I would spend more time practicing at 50 and 60 yards in case the bull of a lifetime hangs up at 60 yards, which has happened to him. I have been shooting at least 3 times per week since early May and can shoot a group the size of a baseball out to 60 yards.

With all of that falling into place, it was time to start scouting my unit. Another good buddy (also a neighbor) of mine deer hunts that unit religiously and scouts it constantly. He said he’d have me on a big bull on opening day. It sounded great, except his idea was for me to hang my treestand about 200 yards up the drainage from a stock tank that elk and deer frequent. This tank is about 15 minutes from our house and he loves to sleep in his own bed. He’s also a diehard Pennsylvania treestand whitetail hunter. I certainly don’t mean anything disparaging towards my buddy, but I want to camp out in the middle of the elk and be on the ground at eye level for my first archery bull hunt. Don’t get me wrong; hunting from a stand was great last fall back in Iowa, but I want to be on the ground with my elk, although I haven’t ruled that area out as an option. On May 29, I hung a camera in there about 200 yards up from the tank, along a well used elk trail leading into the tank. Shortly after that, I was downtown one day for lunch and ran into another friend. We got to talking hunting and I told him where I got drawn. Did he ever get excited! He has been running a mineral lick in that unit for 4 years now and a friend of his took a 360” bull out of that area last year. He knows where the elk bed and where they roam pretty well. Because he’s a fellow Midwesterner, he agreed to show me the area. We met up out there on the morning of 2 June and reworked the lick a little and hung his camera nearby. He promised me pics of big bulls.

After a very hectic schedule with work and family, I finally went out last Friday night (22 June) to pull the card from the tank camera and then Saturday morning to pull the card from the lick camera. I was also worried about a Forest-wide closure due to wildfire danger with no rain predicted anytime soon, so I really needed to get those cards and check the batteries. I checked Friday’s card pull Friday night and in the month it sat there, it had almost 300 pics. I enjoyed seeing several cow elk, including a couple with spotted calves, a few mule deer, including 2 small bucks, one lone bovine cow, a couple of spike bulls and one bull with potential. He showed up on 10 June as a smallish 4x4 with time left to grow before the opener, although I think he’ll grow into something big next year. I’ll keep my camera out there for a couple of more weeks and if there is nothing special, I’ll pull it and find another area (I’ve got some ideas).

From the Stock Tank Cam:

2 future trophies hanging with their moms:

picture.php

picture.php

Curious girl:
picture.php

picture.php

Young boy with potential for next year:
picture.php

picture.php

On my way out to the lick camera the next morning, I almost hit a muley doe as she jumped out of a ditch right in front of me. Then there was the herd of 12 mule deer (does and yearlings) standing in the middle of the road that I had to stop for. Shortly after that was the herd of 12 elk (cows/yearlings) 20-30 yards off the road staring at me as I slowed down to look.

I got to my camera site and began the short hike in to pull the card, drop off a trophy rock, and dump some Deer Caine (elk love it, too) in the area. As I approached the camera, I noticed it was facing the wrong way, dangling down slightly, and the bungee straps were gone (my friend isn’t worried about losing it, so he just bungees it to a tree). The card was still there and there were no boot prints, so I figured it wasn’t people messing with it. It had to be the elk knocking it around. After getting the trophy rock situated and Deer Caine dumped, I repositioned the camera (tightened the strap), reset it, and switched the cards. I noticed that the card said 132 pics in the 3 weeks it sat there. On the drive home, I had a hen turkey run out in front of me and down the road a ways followed shortly after that by 2 hens crossing the road with their poults right behind. That was cool to see. Of course, I saw the same dozen elk in the same general area, followed by the same dozen deer. The next big surprise was the 5 pronghorn out in the middle of a large lake (currently dry “wet meadow”)! I had a very busy Saturday planned with both kids having soccer games and then company coming into town, but my wife graciously let me put the card into the computer and start looking. As it turns out, all 132 pics on the lick cam were taken the day we hung it and the next morning. After that, the elk had it all discombobulated, which means it sat for over 2.5 weeks without taking a picture! All 132 pics had at least one bull and several pics had 3 or more bulls at various stages of growth. Three or 4 pics had a cow or two in them, but they were with bulls. There were 4 bulls that honestly took my breath away. As of 2 June, they were high, wide 6x6s (starting to branch that 6th) that are easily 330”+. I have to take a closer look at the pics, but I may have 5 different bulls of that caliber.

Pics from the Lick Cam (4 target 6x6s):

Las Manos
picture.php

picture.php

Beaters
picture.php

picture.php

Captain Hook
picture.php

picture.php

Shovels
picture.php

picture.php

I’ve decided not to let the lick cam sit for another 3 weeks. We’re still in a high fire danger, so I want to get out there as often as possible in case there is a forest closure, but I also need to make sure the elk aren’t busting it all up again. I’m planning on heading back out there this Sunday morning (soccer all day again, Saturday) to swap cards, hang a 3rd camera in an area that interests me, and dump some more Deer Caine, so stay tuned. I will continue to upload pics into my journal here instead of in the Trail Cam Forum, so be sure to keep up with this if you want to keep seeing pics. More pics and more discussions on broadhead selection, as well as general ramblings will follow soon!

Last edited:
Fun story and we haven't even gotten to the "hunting" part yet. Good luck and I'll be watching to see how things progress.

Congratulations on the Draw, AZ,
Looking very forward to following your journal,
Great pic's by the way

You are living the dream. Someday, I hope to be able to hunt elk like that. I've never been before, but want to kill one nice elk in my life with a bow! Best of luck. Can't wait to see the next round of pictures!

It's gonna be a long summer waiting to get a crack at those boys. I'm looking forward to reading your updates. I only need another 10 or so AZ elk points, but I'm drooling over the opportunity to go eventually!

Niiiice.jpg

forum

Last edited:
That has me all ate up on wanting to set cameras out west..... Keep us updated on what you are getting pics of. Congrats and good luck

Journal Update

Time for a quick update. Of the many lessons I've learned in my 38 years is that every great journey has speedbumps that will test your faith and mettle and often times, kill your morale for a short while along the way. I have hit my firt speedbump on this journey. Last week, we found out that our 9.5 year old male German Shepherd (Thor) has a soft tissue sarcoma on his left shoulder. I know there are some people out there that see them as "just dogs", but ours are as much a part of our family as our kids, brothers, sisters and parents and I know there are plenty of you here who see them the same way. I tease Thor for being a big oaf and a big mamma's boy, but if there is anyone that looks at my wife or kids the wrong way and he is the first to react. The standing orders for both of our dogs (both GSDs) has always been "eat everything so I don't have to hide any bodies". I think Thor would do it. Our vet spoke to an oncologist and the outlook is promising. Tomorrow (3 July), I'm driving down to Tucson to meet with that oncologist, have a couple of tests done and, hopefully schedule surgery for Thursday morning. If they can get wide margins on the mass, he has a 90% chance of lasting another 3-4 years. At 9.5 years old, I'm happy with 2 more years with this boy.

Thor with a broken elk antler he helped me find last year:

picture.php

Sorry to digress and bring my personal woes into this, but this is a journal of my elk hunt and when I connect with that big bull, I have every intention of bringing my dogs a leg bone to celebrate. They are as much a part of my journey as anyone. Chris Dunkin said it best recently to me. Nobody is happier to see you when you get home from a hard day than your dogs.

I hung a 3rd camera yesterday about a half mile from my mineral lick cam in an area that really interested me. I also pulled my mineral lick camera card and in one week, I had 411 pictures, most of which were bulls again. The camera was actually in place this time, but I went ahead and moved it up a bit and then angled it back down towards the lick. I aslo had a handful of mule deer doe pictures and a couple of blank ones. At least one bull returned, maybe two and one new big 6x6 bull, maybe two showed up, although it was extremely difficult to get excited with Thor on my mind. I will get pics posted as soon as I can, likely during Thor's surgery later this week so I can have something to keep my mind occupied. Between now and then, as usual lately, work will get in the way as I have a major deadline looming. Be ready, though, this one new bull has some of the largest 4ths I've seen in a long time!!

One last part of the update is the naming of the 4 targets above. To keep from reposting the pics, I'm just going to refer to them in order of appearance above. Bull #1 is "Las Manos" (Spanish for hands) because he looks like he has 2 big open hands waiting for me. Bull #2 is "Beaters" because his brows and 2nds look like two big egg beaters. Beaters showed up again and has put on some inches! Bull #3 is "Captain Hook" because of how his left 2nd takes off. Bull #4 is "Shovels" because his brow tines come together closely and remind me of a caribou with big dual shovels. It doesn't show as well in the picture above, but they are just a few inches apart at the bend.

Thanks for bearing with me on this somewhat depressing update, but, as I told my wife, there is hope for Thor and without hope, what else is there? Plus I know there are some of you who have been through this and can help lift our spirits. I will do my best to get new pics posted by the end of the week, before I head back out there and pull more cards. I still need to get out to my camera on the stock tank and pull that card. I will probably do this Friday while my daughter is at her riding lesson. Stay tuned and THANK YOU for all of the support thus far.

You are living the dream. Someday, I hope to be able to hunt elk like that. I've never been before, but want to kill one nice elk in my life with a bow! Best of luck. Can't wait to see the next round of pictures!

I am right there with you, as a teacher, I just don't have a great chance because of the time of year to free up enough time to go on an Elk hunt. I also want to kill a WIDE mule deer some year as well.

I love the mountains and would love to do some serious back country hunting.

I find it more addicting than Whitetails. After you kill your first one you will say...I wanna kill just one good bull a year the rest of my life!:D

Cool post Brian. Cant wait to see the end with you holding a giant bull. I'm heading to Tucson in the middle of the month, sure wish it was in the fall just so I could hear them bulls again. Hope Thors doin alright. Good luck and congrats on the draw!

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Journal Update #3 with Pics of BIG BULLS

Before I get into talking about cervids, I want to thank all of you for the support and encouragement with Thor. We found out Tuesday that the tumor is operable, but it is right up against the bone. He is scheduled for surgery tomorrow (6 July) and amputation of his left front leg is the likely outcome. This is the only way to ensure 100% removal of all cancer cells. They can peel the tumor off the bone, but then cancer cells will be left behind and will return within a year without intensive (and very expensive) radiation and chemo. Even then, it can come back and come back worse. We've all ready done a bunch of research on living with a tripawd dog and, in talking to some friends with tripawds, we expect Thor to live a normal, happy life for as long as he wants to stay with us. If he is willing, he should make it 3-4 more years, although I know that's likely longer than a 9.5 year old German shepherd will last. I showed my wife the journal last night and she saw the responses after my post about Thor. She said something to the effect of "wow, you "hang out" with some good people." Again, thank you all for the support.

Ok, now to the elk! As I said earlier, I had 411 pics in a week on the lick cam with a couple of new ones and a couple of returners. Boy was I ever wrong. As much as I hate admitting to being wrong, this was a good kind of wrong. Check that, GREAT kind of wrong. I had a conference call/webinar Monday, so I used some of that time to look closer at the pics of the big bulls. Beaters did return, but he was the only only returner. I thougth Shovels made a trip back, but that is actually a smaller 5x5 and definitely not Shovels. It turns out I have 5 NEW target bulls that are all big 6x6s plus one funky bull that I find myself drawn to. Yep, if you are doing the math, that's a total of 9 big 6x6s on my hit list. I'm actually surprised some of these guys are as big as they are considering how dry its been this summer. I've talked to other guys here who are worried about growth in the next month if we don't get rain soon. This past winter was just good enough and a couple of late snow storms (a foot in April) seem to have given them just enough. Our summer storm season (I HATE the term "monsoon") is building and humidity is increasing, but we haven't gotten the rain we need. Fingers crossed!

With that, here are the next group of targets:

This is Tickles. I looked at that right front brow tine and it reminded me of when I chase my kids around with my index finger extended to tickle them. He also presented a beautiful profile picture and he is definitely good looking!
picture.php

picture.php

Tickles profile:
picture.php

picture.php

This is "The Hippie". He reminds me of a hippie standing there flashing me two peace signs. He also made a few appearances last week.

picture.php
picture.php

Next up are Spot and Medusa. Spot was a regular last week and can easily be distinguished by that mark behind his shoulder. There were a couple of bulls that had similar antler configurations, but that spot was only on this guy. Medusa is hiding in the back in both pictures I have of him, but he has some serious bone going all over back there. I'd really like to get a better picture of him.

picture.php

picture.php

The Unicorn is one of the craziest bulls I've ever seen. I had to do a double take when I first saw him and he was a regular. His left antler is growing right out of the middle of his forehead and the base is HUGE! I'll get a profile I have of The Unicorn so you can see what I'm talking about. It looks like the antler started growing from a football! I can't say that I won't pass him up if he walks in front of me before any of these other guys. That would look very cool on the wall, IMO. A friend of mine took one like this in this same unit about 5 years ago this coming fall during the November general hunt and I can't help but wonder about the genetics being passed on.

picture.php

picture.php

Fours stole my breath. I haven't seen fourths like this in a long time. Everytime I look at his picture, I'm just speechless. At first, I thought he was Spot, but the spot is missing his 4ths dwarf those of Spt. Right now, he and Las Manos are probably my top two targets, but I guess we'll see what happens beginning September 14!
picture.php

picture.php

I'm really praying for significant rain in the next few days. I found out this past Monday that the Coconino National Forest is likely going to close completely as early as next Monday due to the extremely dry conditions and very high fire danger. That means that this Sunday's card pulls are very important since I have to get to all three of my cameras and make sure they have fresh batteries and clean cards so they will last indefinitely when the forest closes (hopefully only a couple of weeks). I'm anxious to see what is on the new camera I hung in the area that intrigued me, but, unfortunately, I won't be able to get out to the other area I want to get a camera due to family constraints Sunday. Card pulls only!

I mentioned broadheads in my first entry. When I found out I got drawn, I said to my wife, "I'm going to have to figure out which broadhead to use." to which she replied, "Whichever you want as long as it doesn't require you spending any more money!" That one made me laugh and I assured her I was referring to the two types I currently have. When I bought my Z7 a year and a half ago, I got the Shuttle T-Locs to go with it and they have done well on 2 deer and have always grouped well, even flying with my field points. My only drop in confidence with the T-Locs was last fall just before I went to Iowa for my deer hunt, but that was 100% operator error. I waited until 2 weeks before my hunt to make sure my broadheads were flying with my field points and they were WAY off. Turns out my bow was out of tune and I was underspined for the poundage I am pulling. 2 adjustments by my shop (quick tune and drop the poundage) and all was good again, but I managed to figure out how to blame the broadheads for that! :thrwrck: Last Christmas, my wife and kids got me some Grim Reapers. They also fly dead on with my field points, although I haven't tested them on game yet. I was talking with the guys at the shop and the consensus is that I can't go wrong with either of them. The owner suggested carrying both in my quiver. Use the T-Locs if I'm in close and use a Reaper if I have to take a longer shot. I know one of the guys who used to work there took a nice bull 2 years ago with a Grim Reaper and it went 60 yards and piled up. I have talked to guys that swear by the Reaper and those that don't think highly of them. Same with the T-locs. Some get them to group perfectly, and some can't get them to group. I admit that I still have my reservations about using a mechanical on a bull elk, but I also think mechanicals have come a long way in their design. About a month ago, I took a field point, a T-loc, and a Reaper practice head and I shot a nice, tight, 3-shot group at 40 yards. Talk about a confidence booster with those T-Locs again! I love their solid design. Last year, when my bow was haywire, I put a T-loc through our wooden slat fence at 40 yards. It took out a 16" section of the wooden slat and landed 10 feet on the other side of the fence. Its hard to argue with that kind of toughness. Right now, T-locs are back at the top of my list, but when the moment comes, who knows. Its great to know that both of them are flying true. I'm practicing with field points out to 60 yards and before long, I will test both broadheads out to 60, but I'm hoping to be much closer than that come September! I'm hoping to smell what he had for breakfast before I pull the trigger on my release!

Stay tuned for next week's pictures and update after I get back out this weekend. Thanks again for following along and for the support with Thor!

Last edited:
Quick Update #4

I've been pretty busy this past week, but managed to get out and pull 2 cards (lick cam and cam #3) last Sunday. This was, in all honesty, my most frustrating card pull. In one week, my Lick Cam only had 48 pictures on it and my 3rd cam in the area that interested me only had 2 pics in a week (more on that below). When I got to my lick cam, there were a couple of families camped just over a quarter mile away (actually the place I intend to camp for my hunt) and they were driving their quads all over the place, including up and down the 2 roads that border my camera and lead up towards the bulls' bedding areas. Normally this wouldn't bother me because its public land (FS) and you learn to accept that, but these two particular roads have been recently closed under the FS's Travel Management Rule and the road closures have been widely advertised. With multiple maps and GPS downloads showing what roads are/are not open, there really is no excuse. There was no elk activity at all from Friday afternoon (assuming about the time the campers arrived) through when I got there. :mad: I almost called my friend that is a FS Law Enforcement Officer for this forest to see if he was on duty.

Not much special on the Lick Cam, actually. One freaky looking bull and one decent 5x6 that is about to branch into a 6x6. At first, I thought it was Beaters coming back in, but they are different bulls.

Little Beaters:
picture.php

picture.php

Propellar:
picture.php

picture.php

When I got to my 3rd cam, it only had 2 pictures in a week. I figured it was a picture of me hanging it and a picture of me checking the card, so I took the whole camera with the intention of hanging it somewhere more productive. When I got home and checked the card, I was half right. There was, in fact, a picture of me checking the status when I got there Sunday to pull it and then there was this decent 6x6 taken Saturday morning.
picture.php

picture.php

I certainly have bigger bulls in the other area, but he's respectable. And, of course, the camera has been in my garage since then not seeing what else is coming in. :thrwrck: I'm planning on heading out there tomorrow with my daughter to put it back in the area and add some more Deer Caine. If patience really is a virtue, I am, obviously, very virtue-less! :rolleyes: I still need to get to the stock tank cam and see what's been moving there in the last 2 weeks. We've finally gotten some rain in the past week! Just enough to keep the Forest from closing, but not quite enough to completely reduce the wildfire danger. Stay tuned and thanks for following along so far!

Last edited:
Good stuff AZ :way: Hope you get a crack at one of those bad boys. I found one of those IMAKA DA BULL CRAZY calls the other day at a yard sale. I could send it to you if you need a call?

Gotta admit this is one of the cooler threads on here in a long time. Keep the stories and pics coming Brian, not everyday that you pull a trailcam and have 300+ inches of Bone on there :)

Kratz

Top Bottom