Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Babe Winkleman - BUSTED....

kansasbowhunter

Shed Head!!!
DNR cites Winkelman, two others
By VINCE MEYER
Outdoors Editor

Babe Winkelman, a well-known Brainerd area angler and host of his own television fishing show, and two other Brainerd area residents have been cited for unlawfully attempting to take game animals with the use of two-way radios.

The citations were issued in November near Perham in Otter Tail County, where Winkelman owns land. Dennis Lang, DNR conservation officer, said he issued the citations after getting complaints from two local landowners who allegedly heard Winkelman converse on two-way radios with other members of his hunting party, including his wife, Kris Winkelman, and friend, Mike Martin.

Lang said he stationed himself near Winkelman's land on the morning of Nov. 15, opening day of the Zone 4B firearms deer season, but heard nothing unusual. He returned Nov. 16 at 7:45 a.m. and said he heard the following conversation.

Female voice: "You called, dear?"

Male voice: "There's absolutely nothing moving. I'm going to make a drive. Mike, stay in your stand."

Interference momentarily interrupted the transmission, Lang said, but when it cleared he said he heard the following:

Male voice: "Be there by 8:30. It will take me half an hour."

Female voice: "Why don't I get in quicker and we can make it quicker?"

(Pause) Male voice: "Did you copy, Kris?

Female voice: "Yes, I did."

Minutes later, Lang said he heard the following:

Male voice: "Hey Babe."

Male voice: "Yeah."

Male voice: "Do you want help with the drive?"

Male voice: "I'm going to drive, get them up and out of their beds. Thanks for asking."

Female voice: "I'm in my stand, loaded, and ready to go."

Later, Lang said he followed Kris Winkelman as she drove in a vehicle to a stand occupied by Martin. Winkelman also was there. Citations were issued at that time. When Lang read Winkelman notes of the conversation he had overheard, he said Winkelman admitted to saying the words.

But Wednesday, Winkelman said he made just one of the statements Lang attributed to him, that the conversation was taken out of context, and that other transmissions he made with Kris, Mike and other members of the party were not recorded by Lang.

"What happened," Winkelman said, "is Kris got her deer Saturday. She slept in the next morning. I called her about 8:30 and said nothing was happening, that I would walk the creek and get them out of their beds. I said if she wanted to she should go to the west stand, the same stand where she shot her deer. She called me back later and said she was heading out. When I heard that, I turned off my radio, got out of my stand and did my walkabout.

"We have six kids, four adults and an 81-year-old grandpa hunting with us," Winkelman said. "With that many people in the woods I want to know who's in what stand, when they get there and when they're leaving. I want to know if everything is OK. That's how we use our radios."

Through his attorney, Dennis Lothspeich, of Brainerd, Winkelman tendered an "Alford" plea agreement, which allows a defendant to enter a plea while at the same time maintaining his innocence. An "Alford" plea is an acknowledgment by a defendant that the state has enough evidence that, if presented to a jury, the jury could find that person guilty. The plea agreement will result in the two Winkelmans and Martin not being convicted.

Lothspeich also filed a motion to dismiss on the grounds that the statute is "void for vagueness." He said the DNR law disallowing two-way radios for the taking of big game animals is unclear.

"If you're going to make something illegal," Lothspeich said, "you should let people know what conduct is and isn't prohibited. For the record, I think we would have won this case."

Winkelman agrees that the law is vague and said he asked Lang to clarify the law at the time of his arrest.

"I said if we can't use our radios for safety then what can we use them for," Winkelman said. "He said, 'If you're in your stand and have a heart attack you can call and they'll come and get you.' ''

Winkelman originally entered a not guilty plea on Nov. 23 and was to have appeared in Otter Tail County District Court on Dec. 2. But after entering the plea agreement his next court date was set for May 7. Court costs of $500 will be split between Winkelman, Kris Winkelman and Mike Martin, Lothspeich said.

After confessing, he remembered he really did'nt mean it ... he must have talked to a lawyer
grin.gif

I know right where that is. We used to vacation up on Ottertail lake for years. That's funny. Good job Minn. DNR.

People know the rules with 2 ways. If he was talking to his wife and kids about being in the stands there should be no mention of a deer drive. I hope he gets busted. His fishing show sucks anyway. But i do personally volunteer to monitor Al Linder and follow him wherever he goes to make sure he isn't using illegal tactics to take monster walleye.
cool.gif

Re: Babe - BUSTED....

Winkleman ought to be fined soley on the grounds of "Offensive Hairstyling"
doah.gif
It's time to give up the Porter Wagner doo der Babe!

I dont think its that big a deal, if i was betting man i would be half the shotgun hunting populations uses cell phones to coordinate drives, such as having the standers let the drivers know when to start walking. i dont think people knowing when the drive is gonna start is that bad, I know i like to know when the drive starts so i can start hiding behind trees
smile.gif
from the conversation from above, i wouldnt throw the book at him, and i dont even know who the heck he is lol its not like he was chasing a deer through the section with his truck and letting the boys know what side he was gonna run out, to me thats is where the radios should be outlawed.

right on pup, his shows do suck!!! anyways i personally feel that making the 2 way radios illegal is the stupidest law! here in ohio they have been illegal for as long as i can remember, just this past year they finally allowed you to use them but you can't use them for killing deer! my dad and i used them every year and yes we have taken a lot of deer due to the 2 way radio! i'm not affraid to admit it, and i dare a game warden or dnr official to confront me about this!
mad.gif

I see in your profile you work for the corps of Engineers, and your "daring" a Conservation Officer to confront you with breaking a law?

Don't worry I forwarded your post to an officer in your area, maybe he will take you up on that bluff.

This is one of those gray areas in my book, because there are alot of guys that use cell phones or two way radios. I know that I carry a cell phone at all times in case I get hurt or see tresspassers. I see them as not being a problem unless people are breaking the law with them. I will continue to carry my phone because it may save my life someday.

Well, I know what would have happened if Babe was here in Iowa and used a radio or cell phone to coordinate the movement of deer with another hunter.... especially a buck....well I guess it just depends on the on the situation.

My opinion if it matters, if it is illegal for deer, it should be illegal for coyote hunters with dogs.

Based on the transmissions they sent.....I don't see a problem with it. I do have a problem tho with the runners and gunners calling back and forth deer movements during a drive and it happens every shotgun season here in IL and IA

Ya I agree the 2 way law does cary a lot of gray area. It is as bowhunt and Liv pointed out, good for certain things. I carry my cell phone in the rare chance i do shoot something, to have someone come and help me with the deer and for saftey reasons. Personally I don't think that they are sporting when used to coordinate hunting activities (ie. locations of animals, deer drive comments), on coyotes or deer. This i think takes some of the challenges out of hunting. When used solely for saftey and non-game related things they are a blessing. With the way technology is advancing these days I am just waiting for a thermal imaging shotgun scope to come out. Boy would that take the challenge out of spot and stalking.

let me rephrase what i posted earlier. i said i had taken a lot of deer due to the 2 way radio. i didn't mean that i gave locations or received locations as to where deer are, the way the radio has helped me is my dad would call and say i am going to walk from point A to point B so therefore i knew if i was going to see a deer i would know the general direction i might see one! we have never used our radios to tell where deer are or in which direction they are running! i mean we would ask each other a lot if each of us had seen anything and how many but they were never used to kill deer and never will be! i believe in getting every advantage i can over a deer but i would never cheat! sorry if i made someone made!
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
let me rephrase what i posted earlier. i said i had taken a lot of deer due to the 2 way radio. i didn't mean that i gave locations or received locations as to where deer are, the way the radio has helped me is my dad would call and say i am going to walk from point A to point B so therefore i knew if i was going to see a deer i would know the general direction i might see one! we have never used our radios to tell where deer are or in which direction they are running! i mean we would ask each other a lot if each of us had seen anything and how many but they were never used to kill deer and never will be! i believe in getting every advantage i can over a deer but i would never cheat! sorry if i made someone made!
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Back peddle, back peddle, back peddle, back peddle...
wstupid.gif
threaddevil.gif
893smileystooges-thumb[1].gif

Me and my hunting partner carry the motorola radios, we use them for safety reasons. That sucker likes to hunt 25 feet or higher in the tree, he always calls me as he goes up or comes down the tree, it would be one hell of a fall and he would lay there for 4 - 5 hours before I headed back to the truck. I have also used them to call him for help in dragging my deer out if I got lucky and shot a deer early in the sit. I think that you should be able to use them as long as you are not coordinating a drive with them. safety first...it is my way of hunting right or wrong?

I think all drive hunting should be outlawwed because it is nearly impossible to do it safely.Or ethicly shooting a running target.

Not all deer that are pushed during a drive are on a dead run. The trick of a good drive is to move the deer at a pace that will allow a shot on a walking, or a still deer that has stopped to see what is behind it. But as with all hunting there are people that think they are a better shot than they are, and try hitting a full out running deer.

Top Bottom