Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Backyard Hooters

moosehunter

PMA Member
My next door neighbor had some screech owls make a nest in his squirrel box this year. The result was 6 or 7 baby owls. They've been flying around our back yards and seem to be comfortable around people, at least for now. We just step out the back door and listen for them. Sometimes we can get to within a few feet of them before they take off. They are only about 5 inches tall. Got a few close up pictures last night.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Nice pictures! I hate to say it, but a few years ago I found one of those owls dead on my trailer. Since I had just driven home in the dark towing my trailer behind me, I believe what had to have happened was the unlucky owl swooped low behind my truck and got "swatted" by the gate. They are cute little buggers though.

One of the creepiest sounds I've ever heard was the trill of an eastern screech owl on my last turkey hunt in Iowa. I was standing at the edge of a timber waiting for the toms to sound off and heard that trill they do. Amazing little birds! Great pics!

Sounds like a good hatch. Mice beware. Watch out for cats. They are hard on little screech owls. Maybe call Bonks if any cats are spotted!

Very cool, one of my favorite birds:way: When I was in 4th grade, dad & I were cutting wood & he caught a screech owl that was in a tree. We took it home & dad built a small box w/ a perch in it that had a sliding front door w/ air holes. The next day I took it on the school bus & my teacher thought it was badass that I brought it for show & tell. I took it back home that day & dad & I let it go in the woods. It was really cool to get to observe the owl so closely.

Sounds like a good hatch. Mice beware. Watch out for cats. They are hard on little screech owls. Maybe call Bonks if any cats are spotted!

They are mature enough to avoid the ditch tigers now. I'm quite happy about mom and pop owls providing lunch for thier brood by offering up little Robins. :way:

Top Bottom