Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bad day .

crash

Called the farmer were we hunt to let him know we would be in the area checking trail cams . he said Im glad you called, I leased out the farm 3 weeks ago, and you have to come get you stuff off it. when i asked him why , he said the price was good and that me and my buddy couldnt afford it. I guess i dont blame him , times are tuff . just bad timing, season aweek away leaves little time .:confused:

he said the price was good

Talked to my insurance agent last weekend. He said a landowner would need to spend about $2k a year on insurance to cover liability if a lease holder was hurt and tried to sue. Doesn't seem like you would make much money after taking out such an insurance policy.

Most farmers are probably not buying insurance and "betting the farm" that nobody gets hurt.

Iowa code protects land owners from lawsuit if they allow hunters access for free.

Called the farmer were we hunt to let him know we would be in the area checking trail cams . he said Im glad you called, I leased out the farm 3 weeks ago, and you have to come get you stuff off it. when i asked him why , he said the price was good and that me and my buddy couldnt afford it. I guess i dont blame him , times are tuff . just bad timing, season aweek away leaves little time .:confused:

It is his right. But the excuse that times are tough is not true for any farmer I know. Ag is very strong right now.

Your right. You lease your farm out you need diff ins your farm liability isn isn't any good . Never know ! Someone could tresspass and fall down you could get taken that way too. Better just to let you hunt. He would know you and thatr you were honest.

Iowa code protects land owners from lawsuit if they allow hunters access for free.
Iowa Code 461C.1
Iowa Recreational Use Statute

CODE OF IOWA 1993
TITLE XI: NATURAL RESOURCES
SUBTITLE 2: LANDS AND WATERS
CHAPTER 461C: PUBLIC USE OF PRIVATE LANDS AND WATERS
§461C.1 Purpose
The purpose of this chapter is to encourage private owners of land to make land and water areas available to the public for recreational purposes by limiting their liability toward persons entering thereon for such purposes.
Iowa Code § 461C.2 (1993)
Section History: Early form [C71, 73, 75, 77, 79, 81, § 111C.1]
Section History: Recent form [C93, § 461C.1]
§461C.2 Definitions
As used in this chapter, unless the context otherwise requires:
1. "Charge" means any consideration, the admission price or fee asked in return for invitation or permission to enter or go upon the land.
2. "Holder" means the possessor of a fee interest, a tenant, lessee, occupant or person in control of the premises; provided, however, holder shall not mean the state of Iowa, its political subdivisions, or any public body or any agencies, departments, boards or commissions thereof.
3. "Land" means abandoned or inactive surface mines, caves, and land used for agricultural purposes, including marshlands, timber, grasslands and the privately owned roads, water, water courses, private ways and buildings, structures and machinery or equipment appurtenant thereto.
4. "Recreational purpose" means the following or any combination thereof: Hunting, trapping, horseback riding, fishing, swimming, boating, camping, picnicking, hiking, pleasure driving, motorcycling, nature study, water skiing, snowmobiling, other summer and winter sports, and viewing or enjoying historical, archaeological, scenic, or scientific sites while going to and from or actually engaged therein.
Section History: Early form [C71, 73, 75, 77, 79, 81, § 111C.2]
Section History: Recent form [88 Acts, ch 1216, §46; C93, § 461C.2]
§461C.3 Liability of owner limited
Except as specifically recognized by or provided in section 461C.6, an owner of land owes no duty of care to keep the premises safe for entry or use by others for recreational purposes, or to give any warning of a dangerous condition, use, structure, or activity on such premises to persons entering for such purposes.
Section History: Early form [C71, 73, 75, 77, 79, 81, § 111C.3]
Section History: Recent form [C93, § 461C.3]
Internal References: Referred to in § 461C.5
§461C.4 Users not invitees or licensees
Except as specifically recognized by or provided in section 461C.6, a holder of land who either directly or indirectly invites or permits without charge any person to use such property for recreational purposes does not thereby:
1. Extend any assurance that the premises are safe for any purpose.
2. Confer upon such person the legal status of an invitee or licensee to whom the duty of care is owed.
3. Assume responsibility for or incur liability for any injury to person or property caused by an act or omission of such persons.

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/resources/repository/Iowa_Recreational_Use_Statute.htm

Sorry to hear that..but on a sidenote, your about the 20th person I have heard that happen to here in the past 2 weeks...

It happens all the time.I Have lost access to over 1000 acres in the last 7 years.Land was either sold or leased.Just think of how hard it will be to get permission on private land if the NR tags are raised from 6000-12000.
I paid for a lease on 160 acres in Davis County 10 years ago.As i recall it was $5 per acre..Now the same property is leased out for $25 per acre..That is out of my price range.

I have been in your shoes also. It sucks. I hunted some land for about 12 years and the same thing happened, almost the same answer that I did not have enough money he must have been a banker to;). Our state has become a big paycheck for many in the hunting industry.

I would like to know how all these out of staters get there tags. A friend has put in for an out of state tag for several years with the same result....negative. But you watch the tv show the crush with lee and tiffany and the same country singers are here every year.

There are still some land owners out there that just want the deer gone, they are just getting harder and harder to find. And we all know you dont need huge timber to kill nice deer. I killed a deer in the mid 150s on about 10 acres. Good luck. a

Top Bottom