Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bad idea?

Fishbonker

Life Member
I have an old pull type disc that the tongue adjuster is gone. I have trouble getting the back gang to engage the soil. I moved my draw bar back as far as I could and that helped but what needs to happen is for the draw bar to be about two inches higher to get the back gang lower.

Here is my idea, get a three point draw bar and pull the disc from the three point. I could raise and lower the hitch to equal front to back engagement. I'm concerned about side draft and the pressure that would put on the link arms when I go around corners.

Any ideas?

Really depends on the tractor. Some of the older ones the arms won't take a ton of pressure but you are disking not digging so I doubt it would be to bad if not going to deep. If you were doing a bunch of acres it would be different. What kind of tractor?

The draw bar on my old 460 hooked into the 2pt fast hitch. I could control the depth by running the hitch up and down. It worked fine for me. I'm not saying it's the perfect setup, but I really liked how it worked. I also only used it to do a couple acres each year so it's not like I used it enough to wear anything out. Might be worth a shot.

I am not sure if I am understanding your plan exactly Bonker...but I did read something recently about "creatively" using a 3 point, that really made me think.

The advice was to never use just the bottom 2 links on a 3 point linkage as it is possible for the implement to hit an immovable obstacle and in the absence of the top link of the 3 point...the implement may flip forward and smash the unsuspecting driver from behind.

I am not enough of a 3 point expert to say anything for sure, but this warning did catch my attention and to me, it is conceivable for something like to happen. Again, this may not apply to your plan, but in the interest of safety, I thought I would throw it out there for consideration.

That draw bar could spin around, which is what Daver was talking about. Could you hitch the bottom to the draw bar and hook your top link where you have the hitch pin? That would allow your hitch to work the way it's supposed to and maybe accomplish what you're after. I have confidence you could do this holding your beer. No need to give somebody else the chance to drink it while you're working hard.

Looks like would work to me, unless I'm missing something. Your tractor can't go fast enough to get that disc to flip straight up. If your worried, run safety chain from drawbar to tongue.

Sure looks like it would work fine to me. I know what Daver is saying and I suppose it is possible but I have never heard of a disk flipping forward in my years around farming. I am not sure how that would happen? Be more likely the tractor to roll etc. if that out of control? Good luck

It could and would happen if the front gang got caught. This would cause rear of implement to kick up. It would be a fluke but can happen. I was mold board plowing with a ford 961 and plow got hung up on big root that caused front tires of tractor to come about 2-3 feet off the ground before I thought to just push in on clutch. If I hadn't the tractor would of come back over on top of me. You don't have much time to think when things go bad.

All you need to do is come in and buy a 65" tiller for that tractor......you know where to find me........LOL

If im not mistaken there should be no hydralic down force on that 3 point hitch. So no that wont work. About the only thing you could do is throw as much weight on the frame of that disk as you can find to try to make it go in the ground.

All you need to do is come in and buy a 65" tiller for that tractor......you know where to find me........LOL

Sooooo, you think I should down grade? A different enabler already sold me an 81" 205H Maschio. He beat you by a couple of years. But I do know where to find you and I know you will feed my habit. My list of wants never gets shorter. A good pusher would create the "need" for my want.

If im not mistaken there should be no hydralic down force on that 3 point hitch. So no that wont work. About the only thing you could do is throw as much weight on the frame of that disk as you can find to try to make it go in the ground.

Well, I'm not looking for down pressure per se. I'll be raising the three point to even out the disc. It will raise the front gang and lower the back gang. If that works then I'll throw on the weights.

Top Bottom