Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Badda bing, badda BOOM!

Jethro

We got an invite from a friend of mine to go back with him to his old stomping grounds and take the boys turkey hunting during youth season. We graciously accepted and Thursday night hit the road for a little man trip. Friday 5:15 a.m. we were set up in an alfalfa field in a valley between two ridges on some public ground that we have good luck with in the past waiting for the show to start. Around 6:15 a.m. the ridges lit up with gobbles and we were right in the middle of them. Around 7:30 a.m. I spotted the two toms about 150 yards out coming down through timber in our direction that I had been carrying on a conversation with for about a ½ hour. Slowly they headed our way strutting and gobbling until they hit the fence 60 yards out and hung up. We talked back and forth for a couple of minutes and then for some unknown reason they decided to start heading back the way they come from. A quick cut series and a gobble call changed their mind and back they came only this time on a run. My buddy’s son was getting into position for the shot as they came through the fence and they busted us at 40 yards when they caught movement from the gun barrel moving around. After few desperation calls and no response we chalked it up as a lesson learned. We finished up the morning hunt and went to the truck for lunch.
Friday afternoon we decided to hunt a farm we had gotten on last year and at 4:30 p.m. we got set-up and settled in for the evening hunt. Around 6:15 p.m. behind us on the ridge we heard a hen yelp and then two toms gobble. A couple of purrs & clucks back to them and the toms were really starting to get fired up. One particular boss hen was not fond of me being there and challenged me every time I hit the call. Finally they came into view and for the next half hour we worked these birds. We got to see the whole show and I mean the whole show. Struttin, gobblin, spittin and drumming, we watched it all from 100 yards out to 20 yards. The hens came thru the fence with the two struttin toms in tow. Both birds came in to the set-up in full strut and at 22 steps and Jed & Jarrett did the old 1, 2, 3, boom. Words cannot explain the feeling in that blind at that moment. Needless to say right after the shot the adrenaline had gotten the best of them when they attacked me in the blind and bear hugged me, they were a little teary eyed. Priceless!
picture.php

The happy bros together after their double.

picture.php

Jeds turkey
23.8 lbs
10 1/2" beard
1 1/4" spurs

picture.php

Jarretts turkey
18.2 lbs
8 1/2" beard
1" spurs

picture.php

The walk out

picture.php

The beginning to another end.

That is so awesome. Every year I love your posts with your kids. Great pics and congrats to you for setting it up for them - I bet you're still grinning from ear to ear. :way:

Man, what a great story! I'm sure the moment was priceless just like you said! Congrats on an unforgettable hunting trip with the boys!

Top Bottom