Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Baling CRP due to drought- my 2 cents…

I just don’t understand the logic behind this. What’s the point of CRP then? Why not just put it into improved pasture and be done with it? Seems like CRP today is just a bale out for land owners on “poorer” soils. It has nothing to do with soil management or habitat, or these practices wouldn’t be in place. I understand mowing or burning for broadleaf control but mowing every acre or even 1/3rd every year just makes absolutely zero sense. Government bail out at its finest………
We agree on many aspects. Many people don't understand the purpose of crp. Yes it pays alot of baf farmers and sometimes takes good ground out of prodction. But Let's think about how/why crp was even started. In the late 70's the United States was producing record amounts of commodity. There was as embargo with Russia and export of those crops declined over 20%. In the early 1980's interest rates were over 20%, farmland value had dropped 60%. Does Farm Aid and Willie Nelson sound familiar? Our farmers were in bad shape. Suicide in farmers was at all time high. Farm bankruptcy was at all time high. The usda had 2 goals with crp. 1) reduce soil erosion 2) curb production of commodity prices for farmers. The secondary objectives for crp were to 1. Protect long term capacity to produce food/fiber, 2)provide income for farmers 3)improve water quality.
It was not until 1996 that an emphasis was placed on wildlife habitat.
CRP is the greatest wildlife habitat program in our nation's history as a by-product. But not intentionally.
The wildlife community help swing the crp pendulum towards being a wildlife friendly program. From the early 2000s till 2018, wildlife had lots of influence on crp. The goals of reducing soil erosion and using crp to work as a way to curb commodity prices while creating wildlife habitat is accomplished well.
But with development of 2018 farm bill, the wildlife community was told that they had over reached their bounds with crp especially mid contract management and seeding mixes that were expensive and complex. Up until 2018 every acre of crp was supposed to have mid contract management to benefit wildlife. Not every state did that and not every landowner wanted to do management that encourage wildlife use.
The 2018 farm bill requires FSA to track seed cost for all practices. It is expected that there will be language limiting these wildlife seed mixes in the next farmbill. Now the pendulum is swinging back the other direction. No longer is every crp acre required in every state to have management for wildlife, it is a states decision to make on what practices require wildlife management and which are excluded.
Some of the reason for things such as mowing of crp grass covers is to help keep the acres eligible to be enrolled. Grass covers can not grow into trees and then be re-enrolled. Some offices keep a tight reign on this across the country and some do not. Most customers want to keep getting paid their annual payment. If you are an wildlife enthusiasts facing tree encroachment, mow just prior to Greenup if possible.
CRP is not perfect. In my opinion it is much better than having it cropped, having sediment running into streams and drinking water,while having $2 corn and high bankruptcy. If anyone thiklnks non resident landowners are a problem l, wait till corn is $2, these farmers go into bankruptcy. The demographic of landownership will change quickly.
One must realize the goals and objectives of crp to appreciate what it has accomplished across a large landscape that benefits our water, food supply, recreational enjoyment, and our everyday lifestyle.

The chances of $2 corn and high numbers of farm bankruptcies are very low. I don’t know of very many industries with this much cash and equity right now!

I suppose it could happen, but a long shot. Crop insurance has minimums/floors, keep that in mind .

I’m a proponent of CRP, and let’s hope it’s always available! I’d tweek it in many ways, but baling CRP should be an option, but only on a portion of the acres.

Down here in MO everybody is baling their CRP. Why? Last year a hay patch of mine made 61 bales. This year 18.
Talk is that the hay crop was a widespread failure which is why they released it, and farmers can sell it.
Why do some sell it? You may not need the hay but some in other places may desperately need hay trucked in.
Hay was bringing $100 a bale at the beginning of summer.....scarce!
Me? I am keeping everything I can get mowed so I can keep my cows and not go belly up.
I don't raise cows for fun. I pretty much have to to own my farm and make ends meet. If I was rich I would turn all of it(90% anyway)
into cover and food plots! LOL

Top Bottom