Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ball Handled Knife

Shovelbuck

This is a style of knife that would of been used in the colonies right up into the early 19th century. It's considered a partial tang knife, as the tang runs almost half way into the handle. it is secured by two steel pins.
The hardest part about building this was taking a great looking piece of old growth walnut, shaping it and getting it smooth, then beating the heck out of it to give it the antique look to match the blade.
I've been putting the antique finish on a lot of blades lately and something was missing from the finished product. Figured out that a new looking handle just doesn't go along with an antiqued finished blade.
I really like this one and haven't decided if it will be sold or not.
This one has a 5.5 inch blade and I have another same shaped blade that's 8 inches. I may put them together as a pair.

picture.php

picture.php

How do you do the antique look on the blades?

There's a couple different processes depending on the steel. If the steel already has rust pits from age, like a lot of the steel I use has, then I just apply about three coats of Naval Jelly to the steel. Letting each coat sit for about 30 minutes. If the steel needs more pits, or doesn't have any, like a new steel blade, I first clorox the steel, then Naval Jelly. Clorox is very caustic and will "age" steel in a hurry.

Thanks!!! I have about a half dozen newer Green River blades that need handles one of these days, and will have to give that a try!!! One of those projects that needs finishing...lol!!!!

Well done, nothing like seeing the work of a skilled craftsman, like this country used to be good at by necessity. BW

Top Bottom