Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Base Measurements:

Interesting video. However, I noticed that he measured the brow tine on the inside of the main beam as opposed to outside. Unless I'm mistaken, I believe all points are to be measured on the outside. If you have a thick bladed tine it could greatly affect your measurement. Also makes me wonder about an abnormal point coming off at an angle anything other than perpendicular to the beam or base. What side is one to measure it from? The shortest I assume? Every time I measure an abnormal point, I have to kind of guess as to the correct point of origin. Especially on the gnarlys around the bases.

I was told the last time I had an official scorer measure a buck for me that the brow tines can be measured from either side of the beam. Taking the longest measurement as the score. The rest of the tines are scored from the outside of the beams. I believe the reasoning is because most points tend to curve inward, and the outside measurement is usually the longest. The brows can go either way. All I know is I have scored a ton of deer, and never knew to measure the brows from both sides for the longer measurement. However, I measured my buck at 172 0/8 Gross, and the official scorer came up with 171 6/8. So I am pretty confident in scoring typical racks, seeing as I was only 2/8 of an inch off.

Yeah I was wondering how the correct way to do it is. I got a buck at home that has heavily bladed brows that curve to the back. Almost looks like elk brows. I know it is a good inch difference between measuring the front or backside of the tines.

Top Bottom