Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Basement Broadhead Test

Buzz

This is by no means a product endorsement or a lab-quality test, just a test done by a bowhunter with too many unused broadheads in his tackle box. I thought I would see what kind of durability a few heads had when shot into a board.

The target: 3/4" solid wood board *not sure of the type of wood, but it was not soft.

The bow and arrow combo: 2002 Hoyt HavocTec 27.5" draw, 64 lbs., last chronographed at 265 fps., Gold Tip 5575 with 2" Blazers

Each broadhead was shot at 15 yds, with a slight quartering angle

Rocket Steelhead 125 3 blade: Penetrated approximately 5". Blade appeared to have opened while going thru the board as there were small slits on the front side and full 1.25" diam. slits on the back side. No damage to the ferrule. 1 blade was broken half way off, 1 was slightly bent, and 1 was fine (except dulled of course). Ferrule was spin-tested afterward and was true.

Wasp Jak-Hammer 100gr 1 3/4" cut: Penetration was not completely through the board. The base of the furrule where it joins the insert was visible from the front side. 2 of the blades were only slightly bent and dulled. 1 blade never opened away from the ferrule and was still sharp. Of the 2 blades that deployed, 1 was open inside the board, and one was visible on the backside, as it had only deployed about 50%. The ferrule was only slightly bent, but not reusable.

Muzzy 100gr 3 blade: Penetration was 5". There was no damage to the ferrule or blades, except dulling. Spin tested perfectly afterward.

Observations: I was impressed by all three heads. I've heard that steelheads have always held up well, and it performed as expected. I was surprised at the way it's blades seemed to have fully opened or at least close to it upon exiting the board.

I expected the Jak-hammer to penetrate less due to the large cutting diameter, but I was impressed that it held together. Not sure why the one blade didn't deploy.

Muzzy performed better than expected. I actually thought that the blades would be damaged more, but they weren't.

The arrow was undamaged in testing.

I realize wood is not a good indicator of penetration for a broadhead due to the friction created in a material that doesn't "give". However, it is a good indicator of how tough a head is, and I thought all three held up very well.

If you're ever bored and have a few extra heads, find something tough or be creative, and post the results.

Thanks for posting the info. No wonder I have tried other heads but just quit doing that and have stuck with the muzzy 3 blade for everything I hunt. They fly true for me, kill game, and are very durable.

No, I don't have any Montecs. But all you need is a solid board! I'm sure a Montec would hold up without any damage. My buddy shot a 125 grain Steelforce Sabertooth into the board I tested in, and the blades held together although it didn't completely pass through the board. He also shot a cheap low profile head (3 blade 100gr) that he bought at Wally World. I can't remember the brand, but it's a cheaper version of the NAP Nitron head. 2 of the blades broke off in the board and the 1 remaining blade was pretty beat up. However, he killed a 130" class 8pt this past Fall with the same brand head. Quartering away at 10 yds. Deer only went 40-50yds, but there was basically no blood as the arrow didn't exit the opposite shoulder blade and again, 2 of the blades broke off. The damage was done internally, and he watched the buck fall, but an inch or so here or there, and he could have had problems finding that deer even though it was a well placed shot.

Top Bottom