Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bass mount

Handcannon

I have been looking around at bass mounts & they all look pretty much the same to me. I have a fish I'm going to get stuffed & am thinking of an open mouth w/ slightly flared gill cover. I have a cool piece of driftwood that I recovered from the pond where I caught the fish, been drying for a month now.

Post a pic if you have a big ol'bass that's on the wall. I need some ideas. Thanks

l_fc4a367c16d23914d42ea43a09fc1624.jpg

l_95e171ead6b18dba95e32e7b4cabc794.jpg

This is a bass that I mounted myself at taxidermy school. You can't really tell from the pictures, but, to make the base, I made a frame 2'x2' and then took a piece of 1/2 plywood that fit at the bottom inside of the frame. I put sand and dirt and rocks and moss and everything else u would find on the bottom of a lake on the plywood.. then, towards the top, i put a piece of clear plexiglass across to look like the suface of water.. I had to cut through the plexiglass with a dremel to get the driftwood into it and then screwed the driftwood to the base. I have the bass attached to the drift wood with a piece of acrylic rod and then i took casting resin and made splashes with it on wrinkled up plastic (kind of a difficult process to explain) then i poured more casting resin on top of the plexiglass to blend in the splashes and ripples and made it look like the tail of the bass was down in the water.

Looks great man! Love that pedestal mount on the fence post with the rooster at the bottom....that's awesome.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm envious of you the artistry skills you taxi's posses. </div></div>

You'd be surprised, but, anyone can do it. Some of the people I went to taxidermy school with weren't exactly the sharpest tools in the shed, but, hey... what do you expect... it's a school full of rednecks.. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif All you need is the money to afford it and the instructor takes you step by step on everything and helps you out when you need help.. About the only thing that requires a lot of artistry in my opinion is a good imagination to build creative bases to put the mounts on. Painting a fish seems hard, right? But, all you do is follow what's called a paint schedule that tells you exactly what color to put where and usually you dont have to get too detailed because most of a fish's natural markings still show through the paint. http://www.matuskataxidermy.com/

Your bass looks more realistic than that second one you posted.

Great work.

HC, I don't fish bass that much and I don't have any mounted but it sounds like with the drift wood and lure you have all the pieces you need. Keep us posted on what you find out and go with. They can do almost anything with fish mounts, it seems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Handcannon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been looking around at bass mounts & they all look pretty much the same to me.</div></div>

hoofline.gif

If I had a big bass that I was wanting mounted I would check out this young man. I have seen his fish mounts and he does a really good job on them. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Jim Lawrence:
cell 712-621-4425 or home phone 712-523-3353.
Jim is located in Bedford, IA.
Lawrence Taxidermy

hoofline.gif

Would you like more information about becoming a PMA or Life Member? &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Details Here!&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt; iowawhitetail.com, Iowa's number one resource for the whitetail deer.
11.jpg

I might have Matuska do it. I was up there a while ago & checked it out. But as I said before I like the coloring on yours better, it's closer to the color of the one I caught.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I might have Matuska do it. I was up there a while ago & checked it out. But as I said before I like the coloring on yours better, it's closer to the color of the one I caught. </div></div>

If you take it to Matuskas... Make sure you tell Tom you want it painted like one of Bill Scott's...hahaha.. I'm sure he would appreciate that..lol.. it would be pretty funny. Tom Matuska is a Helluva good guy and an AWESOME instructor/taxidermist.. I really like his mounts.. Tell him I said HI.. and let me know what he says. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Top Bottom