Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Battery Life / Size

Just wondering if anyone knows if AA batteries actually last longer than D or C batteries (assuming comparing same type and amount of use). Been thinking about trying some adapters to fit AA's in place of the bigger batteries. I guess if they last the same length of time, the AA's should at least be cheaper. Also, how much longer would lithium last than alkaline?

While AA, C, and D cell batteries all have the same voltage, the C and D still have a much higher milliamp hour rating which will allow them to last much longer than a AA battery.

I use lithium batteries in all my homebrews. They do cost more but they definitely last longer and they do have a slightly higher voltage than a regular alkaline. I've never had any problems with too much voltage in my cameras, but I have had lithium batteries burn out flashlight bulbs because they have a higher voltage the regular alkalines.

Here's a chart that help. http://www.allaboutbatteries.com/Energy-tables.html

Last edited:
While AA, C, and D cell batteries all have the same voltage, the C and D still have a much higher milliamp hour rating which will allow them to last much longer than a AA battery.

Here's a chart that help. http://www.allaboutbatteries.com/Energy-tables.html

According to this chart, the milliamp-hours on the lithium AA is lower than the alkaline AA, so is it the Watt-hours that makes them last longer? I see the milliamp-hours and Watt-hours are higher on the C & D, so I guess that makes sense that they would last longer. I was thinking tho that everyone says the AA cameras would last longer. Is that just because the AA cameras usually have a lot more batteries in them? Would the milliamp-hours on 4 alkaline AAs be 2,122 (drawing an equal amount on each) or would it be 8,488 (4 x 2,122)? Would it basically take 4 AAs to approximately equal a C and 8 AAs to approximately equal a D?

Got a question more about camera efficiency. Will a camera become less efficient regarding power usage over its lifetime based on age/use?

I have a few cameras of the same brand/model and age. They're all probably 5-6 years old (think I bought one in the summer/fall, and then the other two the next summer). They seem to use batteries at a different rate. For example, I changed batteries/cards about 3 weeks ago in all of them. Used the same brand of batteries. Checked two yesterday. One had about 900 pics and showed 85% battery. This was the oldest of the three. The other one had 300 pics and showed 10% battery. This was purchased after the other, but not sure on manufacture date. However, it has taken a lot more pics in it's lifetime than the first, due to being put out in more active spots.

Top Bottom