Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

BBD...Big Bull Down

deerhunter93

First of all i want to thank my dad for teaching me everything i know about hunting. He is awesome!
I’m still pumped so the story is long…
Last year i got the chance to elk hunt in Colorado with my dad and grandpa. We saw quite a few elk and my dad shot a cow with the muzzleloader to bring home. I was archery hunting last year and had a blast. I drew a bull muzzleloader tag this year so i was pumped! This year my dad and grandpa headed back out this time with my buddy Derek who is a few years older than me. This was Derek’s first time elk hunting and he was archery hunting. It was a long trip out there doing homework but we got to camp, the same place we camped last year and got ready for the morning.
We decided we were going way back in the first morning just to see what was around. Morning came and we headed out. After walking the whole day without seeing any fresh sign we returned to camp without seeing anything. The second day we headed up past the place my dad shot his cow last year. Around noon we were walking through some pines and i looked up and saw a huge tan blob coming through the trees. It was a big 5x5 about 70 yards away and my dad was cow calling but when he stopped i couldn't even see him. He walked away so we cautiously followed. All of the sudden a huge bugle broke out and we got ready. Then what we thought was a second bull bugled to our right. We were in the middle of something awesome. But when i turned around my hopes were shot down when another hunter walked right behind us. We talked and he thought that the bugles could have been his buddies that were out hunting with him. So we eased forward and got to the top of a hill and i looked up to see something moving in front of us. Another hunter. This was not looking good.
We talked to her and she said the 5x5 went by her and she bugled at him but he kept on going. So we were excited we had seen some elk and heard from the other hunters that this was the only place they had seen elk. The problem was that there were a bunch of hunters that were in there. After going a little ways we took a break and headed on back toward camp. When we came over the rise we jumped a mule deer doe. Since i had a mule deer buck tag also we glassed where she came from but saw nothing.
We took no more than three steps and I looked to my right to see another elk moving down the hill we were on about 80 yards away. I saw it was a bull and since there were no trees real close we all dropped down and i used my dads backpack as a rest. The bull was headed our way moving up and down the hill. He was getting closer and closer and when he was at 30 yards he turned slightly up hill and at 4:45 i let my Knight wolverine bark. He ran toward us and i could see what i thought was the hole but no blood was coming out. When he stopped at 15 yards above us i told Derek to get an arrow. The bull stood up there for what seemed like an eternity but was probably only 15 seconds. He then started down the hill at 20 yards and stopped and we could see blood coming out his mouth. Even with knowing he was hit we told Derek to put another on in him. He shot a bit back and the bull ran to the bottom, bedded for just a second, got up and started up the hill out of sight.
I was so shook up trying to re-load. I was shaking so bad. After not hearing for awhile i look five steps to my left to see if i could see him. I put my binoculars up and when i saw him laying dead on the other hill i was flipping out. We stayed put for awhile longer and headed over. It was AWESOME! He would have been a 6x6 but he broke his last fork off on his right side so he is a 6x5. Like I care! We took pictures and then the real work began. We got him gutted and up some logs and headed back to camp.
The next morning we took off at sunrise and got up there to him. After we got him all de-boned we loaded up the frame packs and took off towards the game cart. We got him to the cart and back to camp. It took us from sunrise to 4:00 p.m. to get him to camp. The next few days we hunted but had no luck. We got back Friday around 2 and worked on the meat until our homecoming football game that night.
I am so thankful! Derek got hooked and he defiantly wants to go back sometime. It was an awesome week but it will be awhile before we get back to hunt elk again. Probably sometime after college. Derek and I are looking forward to it though! But for right now we are ready to hunt some WHITETAILS!

Drew_bull_2008.jpg

Drew_Bull_2008_with_dad.jpg

Congrats Drew! My son Trey told me that Dakota told him you dropped one. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

93.....that's the yr I graduated High School. Lots of great memories ahead for you.

Great story, congratulations!

hoofline.gif

Great hunting story, I am sure that you were pumped, Congrats! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

hoofline.gif

Would you like more information about becoming a PMA or Life Member? >>>>>Details Here!<<<<< Join now and you are automatically entered into the 2008 Big Buck Contest!

11.jpg

Iowa's number one resource for the whitetail deer.

Top Bottom