Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

beans by the pound?

dedgeez

death from above
So I am using a 10ft John Deere drill to do my bean plots this year. I was checking out the settings last night and there is no setting for beans. Just seeds and a pea setting. And the settings are all for pounds of seeds.

Here is my question.
I am using Asgrow, round up ready, late maturing soy beans. The per bag weight is 41.8 lbs and holds 140,000 seeds. I want to plant at 200,000 seeds per acre like normal. So in my estimation I need to set the drill for about 63Lbs per acre and hope that it plants the beans at that rate. Is this correct? I have never used a drill like this so any input from some of you fellow food plotters would be great. Also the holes on the drill are 7" apart so my idea is to tape off every other one so I have 14" rows. Would you guys recommend this or would you stick to the 7"? In the past I have always planted at at least 15". Thanks guys.

Last edited:
If it were me, I'd keep the 7" rows & not hassle with changing/plugging anything. All else sounds good to me BUT someone else will pry have tips on those drills.

Top Bottom