Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

bear hunt

mudingbuck

PMA Member
Well its official. I am going bear hunting this fall. Sent in deposit today. Does anyone that has gone have any advice they can give me? We are going to lake wabigoon Ontario. August 31 thur September 7. Archery of course!

Dude, you're going to the Wabiggon area????? HOLY BIG MUSKIES BATMAN!

My advice, scrap the bear huntin' and rent a boat!

:grin:

Be patient. Bears will hang up and study the bait sight. Once they commit, they are yours. Biggest problem alot of people do is get too eager to get bow in hand and scare the bears. They will come in. When they do....you normally have time to study, and wait for perfect shot.

If the bear looks big....it is big. Too many people say look at the ear size, etc. I found out that bears are all different. If the first thought is that it looks small, wait. If you think it is big, it prolly is. Not too different then deer hunting.....if you have to study the deer, it prolly isn't as big as you think for the most part. Bears are no different.

My first bear hunt was in Ontario and I saw 2 bears before I shot mine. The bears I saw were tiny and I thought so. When I saw the bear I shot.....there was no looking and only waited for the shot.

Hopefully this helps out. This is just what I found out hunting bears in WI where we now have more bear in the north woods than deer. haha

First bear I shot I thought was the size of a Ford Ranger when I let the arrow go. It wasn't bad sized (around 275 lb.), but not near as big as I'd thought...but I was a total rookie :D

NWBuck

Be sure about size, you payed for it dont come home with Bobo, you want Yogi. Wait for them calm down make the shot, fixed blade of course....

i have killed alot of bears 7 to be excact all i can tell you is to make sure it is the bear you want dont pass on the first day what you would kill on the last

Good advice above. My brother and I do some bear hunting up here in da UP. Being prepared for bugs is important, as well as having a good plan to get the bruin skinned and cooled down ASAP.

Really can't emphasize scent control enough, which is tougher when the weather is warm. A bear's nose is at least as sensitive as a deer's to put it in perspective.

Have fun and good luck!

Top Bottom