Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bear pistols

newfarmer

So I thought I posted before and did multiple searches but can’t find anything. I have it set up that over pry the next 7 years I will be traveling somewhere into bear country (Grizzly are possible) and my wife is freaking I need to upgrade my pistol. I have a 9mm, but know in all reality it’s pry not enough. So here I am- what’s anyone and everyone’s suggestions. I know bear spray will be along as well- hoping I never see one but when we were out for our wedding in Wyoming an outfitter was killed- so it’s obviously a real possibility
So- what’s a good pistol to have? Anything and everything is an option- I think my wife will let me get whatever, so if I need “package” deals I can get multiples

I'd stick with a tried and true semi auto like a Glock 20. I'd avoid a revolver just because it requires a different grip than slide pistols and you're limited to 6 rounds. If you ever run into a Grizzly, ammo volume will be your friend. Glocks are boring, ugly and affordable, so I get why guys dislike them, but the aftermarket availability of holsters and mags is amazing.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

I personally just run my 9mm with buffalo bore. Pepper spray is first defense! In reality I have a better chance of deterring a bear with a cloud than me hitting a bear multiple times in a split second.

I'd stick with a tried and true semi auto like a Glock 20. I'd avoid a revolver just because it requires a different grip than slide pistols and you're limited to 6 rounds. If you ever run into a Grizzly, ammo volume will be your friend. Glocks are boring, ugly and affordable, so I get why guys dislike them, but the aftermarket availability of holsters and mags is amazing.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
My thoughts are the same - could upgrade to a 10mm for a little more power. I carried a 9mm when in AK moose hunting. Buffalo Bore ammo was what I had as well. Even got some for my Ruger LCP .380. haha (not that I plan on carrying that for any type of bear ever)

I carried my Dirty Harry stainless 44 Mag for maybe a day and a half in Wyoming. Decided it was too heavy and bulky so left it in the vehicle the rest of the trip. I’d maybe have carried a smaller 9MM. The area I was hunting was not known for grizzly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I assume you'll be bow hunting. If you want to stick with semi auto 10mm is the only thing anyone who knows the subject gives any credence too. If I was buying a hand gun specifically for bears it would likely be a 10MM but I would really rather have something like a Taurus Raging Bull .44 ultra light.

Having a set-up to carry the extra weight comfortably and accessible is a big deal.

Hard cast lead ammo for whatever it is.

First and foremost...never pass up an opportunity to buy a gun at your wife's request! Weight is very important to me. So to me, the only options are the Glock 29 or Springfield Compact 10 MM's.

I just went through this. Spent a week on a ranch in Montana this summer.

I initially bought some Buffalo Bore 9mm ammo for my G17. I ended up buying a G20 and more Buffalo Bore 10mm.

Got out there and everyone was carrying. There had been a sow griz and two cubs stopping by to visit the barns. The residents mostly carrying 9’s in compact versions.

The G20 is a BIG pistola. I really like it though. I used to carry .40 cal and I am not recoil sensitive. Now I’m looking to replace the G20 and my duty 9mm with a G20 mos. I have a Trijicon RMR i never got used to using- it’s going on it.

Its big. It is hard to hide. It’s expensive to shoot. I like it.

Glock 10mm.

Lighter to carry (polymer gun), best reliability and anything less than that you're kidding yourself trying to stop a full grown grizzly.

You're welcome :)

I carry either a Glock g40 (10mm) or a little S&P shield 9 in griz country. Both with hardcast bullets. Carried the shield last week while elk hunting WY in fringe griz country. I think you’re kidding yourself if you think a non expanding bullet at pistol velocities is going to have “stopping power” regardless of cartridge and I like carrying the shield more while struggling to get around the mountains than that big ass glock. Wish I’d have gone g20 or g29.

Either way, you’re hoping to deter a bear from continuing to charge or chewing on you for an extended period of time more so than incapacitating it with a pistol or spray.

some info from a guy that sells ammo but also is on the grizzly x

9mm specific info.

Be sure to read his thoughts on where to shoot a griz. It’s not what I thought you should do.

Those bastards are determined. Reading accounts of griz attacks in books like Death In Yellowstone and Death in Glacier are bone chilling. It’s not going to be over fast.

Last edited:
  • Deleted by westwind
Show…
12ga and slugs. An ounce of lead hits pretty hard. This combination is used a lot more than people realize.

Last edited:
Agree with most above. Glock20 most reliable/practicle way to go. What I carry personally while out west in bear country.
(Every sept since 02)

I agree with big/heavy/bulky all suck especially when fighting the heat/steep/sweat and elevation. More weight seems to be the last thing u need till you need it.

What I have done to offset the weight is zip tie a Blackhawk surpa holster to the outside of the waste band of my pack and have easy quick access to the pistol in fractions of a second. Completely removes any weight from your belt or side. Don't even know it's there till u need it.

In all the years I have had multiple close calls with black bears coming up on a elk kill and there happened to be a bear on or near it. Luckily was never charged but it only takes once and always glad I had a fighting chance.....

Huge fan of the glocks personally. Most dependable gun on the market IMO!!!

And don't forget don't buy one when you can get 2 for the price of 2!

Agree with most above. Glock20 most reliable/practicle way to go. What I carry personally while out west in bear country.
(Every sept since 02)

I agree with big/heavy/bulky all suck especially when fighting the heat/steep/sweat and elevation. More weight seems to be the last thing u need till you need it.

What I have done to offset the weight is zip tie a Blackhawk surpa holster to the outside of the waste band of my pack and have easy quick access to the pistol in fractions of a second. Completely removes any weight from your belt or side. Don't even know it's there till u need it.

In all the years I have had multiple close calls with black bears coming up on a elk kill and there happened to be a bear on or near it. Luckily was never charged but it only takes once and always glad I had a fighting chance.....

Huge fan of the glocks personally. Most dependable gun on the market IMO!!!

And don't forget don't buy one when you can get 2 for the price of 2!

I also use a hip holster to my pack belt but make sure it's one I can easily swap from pack belt to pants belt when I'm not carrying my pack around camp, during meals, when breaking down an elk, etc. Tougher on the pack belts that use PALS/MOLLE for attachments but there are adapters available to make a short "belt" section for a standard belt holster to attach.

Lots of guys like the chest holsters to make sure the gun is on you whether you have the pack on or not. I have a kenai chest holster for the glock but dont like it much. If you aren't alone, the muzzle is frequently flagging other people. It's one more thing to take on/off if changing layers, one more thing on shoulders in addition to pack and bino harness from a comfort perspective, and I cant draw as quickly and instinctually from it.

12ga and slugs. An ounce of lead hits pretty hard. This combination is used a lot more than people realize.
But you can't carry a 12 ga while bow hunting and even if I could I wouldn't for the weight in the mountains. No doubt it's better at deterring a bear, but so is a 375 H7H.

Top Bottom