Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bear Sighting in Iowa

blake

Life Member
From the IDNR:

Bear Sighting in Northeast Iowa Prompts DNR Warning

DES MOINES - A black bear last seen in and around the Yellow River Forest in Allamakee County is prompting warnings from Iowa Department of Natural Resources wildlife biologists to avoid the animal.

The DNR has received reports that there may be some people who have been feeding the bear.

"As well intentioned as people may be in wanting to help this animal, it is not only dangerous for humans, but may be assigning a death warrant for the bear," said DNR Wildlife Bureau Chief Dale Garner.

Garner said that bears fed by humans can become, at the very least, a problem and can even be very dangerous as they become more reliant on the food handouts. When this happens, biologists often have no other recourse than to euthanize the bear.

"When bears in the wild become reliant on humans for food, moving is not a viable option because the problem is then simply being moved somewhere else," said Garner.

Garner said the Yellow River Forest area is suitable habitat for the bear and it would not need human intervention to survive. He advises that the bear be left alone.

"This animal is likely a young male that moved over here from southern Wisconsin where there is a wild bear population," said Garner.
If a bear is encountered, people are advised to:
  • Remain calm. Do not run. Stand still and talk to the bear in a calm voice

Do not try to get closer to the bear
  • If the bear does not get closer to you, slowly back away, talking to the bear in a quiet, monotone voice. Do not scream, turn your back on the bear, run, kneel down or make direct eye contact
  • Watch the bear and wait for it to leave
  • If the bear does not leave or approaches you, yell and wave your arms to make yourself look bigger. Throw objects, blow a whistle or an air horn. The idea is to persuade the bear to leave
  • If you are with others, stay together and act as a group. Make sure the bear has a clear escape route
  • If the bear keeps advancing, and is getting close, stand your ground. Use bear pepper spray or anything else you can find or use to threaten or distract the bear
  • Do not run or climb a tree

I hope he wanders over to my neck of the woods! I'd love to run him through!
:D

My buddy swears he saw one when we were shed hunting up in northern clayton county last year. They are up there no doubt about it, I would love to snap a couple pictures of one.

just remember they take about 30% of the fawns every spring...i wouldnt wish for them in Iowa, next they will be wanting to intro wolves...ggrrrrrrrr

The DNR confirmed a sighting of a black bear sow with two cubs in southern Iowa, northeast of Leon about 12 years ago. I have heard of them in Yellow River forest before.

Moose in NW Iowa are pretty common actually. Seems like every 3-4 years there would be one running through. Usually a 1 1/2 year old bull.

Top Bottom