Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bear spotted in iowa

Doeregulator

Was watching the news and two men in northern iowa spotted a black bear coming out pf the woods and ran through a field and they got a picture of it. I know its not uncommon but pretty cool, would that be legal to shoot?

It's legal, no hunting season. My friend in Sidney Iowa shot one a few years ago. It was a big deal around our area.

At least it was legal when he shot his bear. It was all over the news and I'm pretty sure it's mounted in the Skyline Sportsmanship Club in Thurman. If I remember right.

It's legal, no hunting season. My friend in Sidney Iowa shot one a few years ago. It was a big deal around our area.

At least it was legal when he shot his bear. It was all over the news and I'm pretty sure it's mounted in the Skyline Sportsmanship Club in Thurman. If I remember right.

I don't think it's legal to shoot a bear, moose, or elk that occasionally wander into Iowa. A big cat is the only thing I would shoot if one happened by.

Or a little cat.................:grin:

Great, one more thing to worry about while walking to my stand in the dark.. I'm gonna have to start packing heat during bow season..

And yes, I know it's not legal..

Awesome animals. With the proximity to Wisconsin and Minnesota, and the rugged country I'm surprised we don't have more here. I would love to have black bears in Iowa. We used to watch them all the time in Michigan. They are definitely interesting critters.

I don't think it's legal to shoot a bear, moose, or elk that occasionally wander into Iowa. A big cat is the only thing I would shoot if one happened by.
Pretty sure the bear and the mountain lion, as "predators", are not protected in Iowa. There was the bear in NE Iowa last year that the DNR was encouraging people NOT to shoot.

Elk and moose= protected.

Pretty sure the bear and the mountain lion, as "predators", are not protected in Iowa. There was the bear in NE Iowa last year that the DNR was encouraging people NOT to shoot.

Elk and moose= protected.

Glad you chimed in Randy.

I thought the same thing through discussions

but was not 100% sure.

SCOFFIN said:
Great, one more thing to worry about while walking to my stand in the dark.. I'm gonna have to start packing heat during bow season..

And yes, I know it's not legal..

Same here i would rather pay the fine than pay my life! Getting to many predators in iowa to not have protection.

There not going to hurt a person. But they are really good fawn killers and would be bad if they started populating in Iowa.

There not going to hurt a person.
My feelings as well. Those freaked out about the risk of bears in Iowa will obviously never go on a hunt out west. Statistically, you should fear the herd bull in the pasture WAY more than a bear or mtn lion.

In the last couple years we've had around a half dozen or more bears come through the area. It's getting to be fairly common.

I thought for sure it was illegal to shoot a bear in Iowa.

I'm sure for the most part they're harmless. But last year a guy I know was coming out of the woods from bowhunting and a mama with two cubs were inbetween him and his buildings and he said it was quite interesting seeing who would back down first. This was right around Yellow River State Forest.

http://www.iowadnr.gov/portals/idnr/uploads/education/Species/mountain_lion.pdf

Mountain lions have no legal wildlife status in Iowa. That means that they can be taken and possessed by anyone at anytime as long as legal methods and means are used to take the animal. Mountain lions and black bears are not listed in the Iowa Code as designated wildlife species, because they were extirpated before fish and game legislation became prominent.
So shoot away, paranoid people. :mad:

Hoyt Freak said:
There not going to hurt a person. But they are really good fawn killers and would be bad if they started populating in Iowa.

Ok if you startle a bear it will react, if you come between a sow and her cubs you will be attacked, im not saying it will happen every single time but just like that heard bull during the right time of year bears will react, do your research there is a reason bear hunting guides recommend at least a 300 win mag or larger for bear hunting.

Ok if you startle a bear it will react, if you come between a sow and her cubs you will be attacked, im not saying it will happen every single time but just like that heard bull during the right time of year bears will react, do your research there is a reason bear hunting guides recommend at least a 300 win mag or larger for bear hunting.

We've got tons of black bears around us here in WI and we don't worry a lick about them. You very rarely even see one when you're deer hunting. Sure, you'll hear one whoof at you now and then in the dark, but they're mostly just trying to figure out what you are. Too many people have an unfounded fear of them and are too willing to shoot first if they see one thinking that its going to harm them when its usually just curious or trying to get out of your way.

Of all the animals someone mentioned here that may at some time or another wander into Iowa a black bear is probably the least of my concerns. Unexpectedly running into a moose has always made for a much more interesting encounter in my experience.

I'm not saying I would shoot one if I had an encounter with one on the way to my stand, but I would if the thing started coming after me.. I do understand that most Mountain Lions and Bears would shy away from humans, but I'm generally not that lucky of a guy. If one were to attack a hunter walking to his stand, I'm going to be that guy..

Top Bottom