Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bearded Hens?

bowman

Super Moderator
I had easy shots at 2 different bearded hens this morning. My days are numbered and I thought about taking one. Legal yes, but ethical? I had never really thought about it until this morning. Just curious to see what everyone's views are on this. Maybe it's no big deal but I didn't want to be riticuled by all who saw it.
Thanks,
Bowman

Personally, I have no problem with shooting a bearded hen. You can shoot hens in the fall legally. Granted shooting a hen is like killing 10 birds if she has a next and can't go back to it. The same goes for shooting a doe. In her lifetime a doe could produce 3-5 bucks. Either way, I wouldn't ridicule a person for shooting a bearded hen. Next time take 'er out!!

Saw my first bearded hen this year! A merriam too, what are the odds???? If the area has a poor ratio of toms to hens like where I was hunting, I would take her. It's just like deer hunting, trying to keep your heard in check!
Good hunting
jason

As you say it is legal. So the question I'd ask myself is how is the local turkey population?

If you don't have a lot of birds I'd be tempted to pass and let her reproduce.

If like some areas, there are plenty, if not too many turkeys shooting hens, when legal, like shooting does, is the only way to help control the population.

Old Buck

If you have a lot of tukeys in your area, I'd say take it. To me, those are like seeing an albino. a genetic defect that is possibly a sign of overpopulation or inbreeding. Do whatever you like as far as shooting, I won't ridicule you for it......

Sounds like you made the right choice bowman since you took a tom with your bow yestarday, cangrats man. Get me a pic and I will post it for you. Looks like its time to go fishing now.

To take a bearded hen is certainly legal, however I think it was made legal to avoid making a lawbreaker out of a hunter who acidently killed one thinking it was a tom. I don't think it is unethical or immoral, but personally I would not shoot one. I don't feel the need to kill something that is unusual or unique just to be able to say I did it. Everyone has to make those decissions for themselves and then be happy within themselves with the decissions. I have only seen one bearded hen two years ago and let it sit along side a hen decoy while I worked on a gobbler down in the brush. I would have loved to have a video of that hunt but I only have my memory which according to my family is starting to fail. Oh well!

There are so many really neat things in nature that I will never have the chance to see for myself. If I see and kill one of these unusual creatures then I have taken away some one else's chance of seeing it too. Do I have and should I have that right? Just something to think about!

Thanks for your replies! As Todd mentioned I did shoot my first Tom with my bow on the 12th.
yay.gif
10 1/4 inch beard, 7/8 & 3/4 inch spurs, and only weighed 17lbs. I'm glad I held out now. The bearded hens will live on!!!

Thanks,
Bowman

Top Bottom