Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Bedding areas for holding deer...tree selection

ryang

Nannyberry & red cedar..........and briefly considering white cedar. Not sure if the white cedar is as hardy for my area as the red cedar. These will be planted in eastern so. dakota. Mostly in the flood plain, there's still a fair amount of higher ground so yearly flooding hasn't been an issue. I know the red cedar will and has done well but considering a shrub in-between squares of cedar plantings. the land is in WRP so native trees are my only option thinking about branching out and trying the nannyberry but not sure if the deer and rabbits are going to destroy them.

If it's in a floodplain and I assume, moist rich ground, you might consider any of the dogwoods. Silky, grey and red osier dogwoods all make great cover and can take some flooding.

Highbush cranberries do well on my low ground that does (rarely) get flooded but they thrive on the moist soil as do my nannyberries.

Red Cedars don't like wet feet so it depends on jow wet the soil is and how often it floods. They are my favorite for bedding and cover.

Willows also make some thick cover and deer sure do love those things if it's wet enough.

Never seen any white cedars anywhere but the far north country and always in very wet boggy ground so I can't say about them.

More ideas in the tree planting thread but those are some great possibles you might consider for sure. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

White cedar does very well in damp ground. It won't do well in standing water however. It's also preferred deer browse very high in protein, so if you plant any I'd definately cage em. I don't know if they're native to Iowa, but Speckled/Tag Alder also do very well in damp ground, and they sucker and spread.

Top Bottom