Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Been quiet

What numbers do you have for Monroe county that exclude corporations? I'd put the over under at 4 for that county.

640 is a ton for a NR to solely own.

Why exclude corporations? There are several operating in Taylor and Page county, that are basically run as hunting clubs for out of state guys.

I know of 4 or 5 without even looking. And anybody with 400 would get to 600 in a hurry making local access even harder.

Here's where I see a major "problem".... I have NR buddies who bought ground here wanting to hunt it as much as possible (obviously and I don't blame them!!!).... They do amazing things to GIVE to the herd, land quality, ecology, etc. They went from having to wait every other year to draw a tag about 7-ish years ago and now many have to wait 3-4 years (I'm estimating here from what I've heard because obviously I am not putting in for tags so I don't look as close as a NR). So, ROUGHLY, in 7 or so years, the amount of time to draw a tag has doubled or tripled. This is BS and I 110% believe with every once of honesty- it's almost solely based on the Celeb Tags being the marketing genius and effective product they were designed to be. This is marketing 101 done perfectly to impact MILLIONS of households & hunters thru TV & video. A marketing genius. But- it's screwed everyone, isn't needed and probably hurt folks like my NR buddies who bought land here expecting an every other year draw. The little guys who come here too from a draw to hunt. This program has hurt the Residents here BUT it's also done huge damage to NRLO's and any NR's. Mark my word- if the economy keeps getting better & we keep the marketing all over the country to MILLIONS, CONTINUALLY - we will see a day with a 5, 6, 7 year draw time. you wait and see!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This still doesn't address the issue of so many celeb types who have the same situation of family's in other states . It sure seems to me like there is very selective enforcement of this. The bow tags are the hard draw if I was a nrlo I would switch to gun and hunt every year or at least every other a worse case scenario.

Here's where I see a major "problem".... I have NR buddies who bought ground here wanting to hunt it as much as possible (obviously and I don't blame them!!!).... They do amazing things to GIVE to the herd, land quality, ecology, etc. They went from having to wait every other year to draw a tag about 7-ish years ago and now many have to wait 3-4 years (I'm estimating here from what I've heard because obviously I am not putting in for tags so I don't look as close as a NR). So, ROUGHLY, in 7 or so years, the amount of time to draw a tag has doubled or tripled. This is BS and I 110% believe with every once of honesty- it's almost solely based on the Celeb Tags being the marketing genius and effective product they were designed to be. This is marketing 101 done perfectly to impact MILLIONS of households & hunters thru TV & video. A marketing genius. But- it's screwed everyone, isn't needed and probably hurt folks like my NR buddies who bought land here expecting an every other year draw. The little guys who come here too from a draw to hunt. This program has hurt the Residents here BUT it's also done huge damage to NRLO's and any NR's. Mark my word- if the economy keeps getting better & we keep the marketing all over the country to MILLIONS, CONTINUALLY - we will see a day with a 5, 6, 7 year draw time. you wait and see!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If nonresidents could still get a tag every year or two, there would not be many acres open to residents. That is a fact. Ask any realtor in Iowa. One of them told me he could sell every rough acre in Decatur county if nonresidents could get a bow tag. Do you want Iowa residents to be able to hunt Iowa deer? Or do you want to worry about being "fair" to nonresidents with money? Seriously... because that is exactly the situation at hand. Like it or not, its as simple as that.

If nonresidents could still get a tag every year or two, there would not be many acres open to residents. That is a fact. Ask any realtor in Iowa. One of them told me he could sell every rough acre in Decatur county if nonresidents could get a bow tag. Do you want Iowa residents to be able to hunt Iowa deer? Or do you want to worry about being "fair" to nonresidents with money? Seriously... because that is exactly the situation at hand. Like it or not, its as simple as that.

I don't know that would be the case. Think about it... 7 years ago (or whatever) we had NR's able to draw every other year. Was all the land gobbled up then and then it's all been sold back to residents now that it's a 3-4 year draw? I don't think so. I understand easier tags for NR's could result in some land acquisitions but I think we've personally witnessed years & years of what land would be like with the every other year NR draw. Other than discussing the ramifications as well, we have to address the fact or question - WHY has the draw for these guys gone from every other year to 3-4 years? - In around 7 years timframe. CELEBRITY TAG MARKETING GENIUS & a rebound in economy to levels we had 5-8 years ago economically. Then, it should go thru folks minds.... With millions marketed to with the Celeb Tags- what's the draw going to look like in 5-7 more years? How you guys gonna like waiting 6 years to draw for example? NR's of any type but also including the guys who signed up buying land here with an every other year draw. Now, because we continue to grow and market Iowa because of a scam sham program, they have to be the ones to take it in the rear? Fundamental wrong doing and political-crony crap at its finest.

I say they need to move here and take up residency then they can hunt every year. Could it be maybe it's not the celeb tags but just more NR wanting to hunt? I know of 3 properties we use to hunt which are now leased to NR deer hunters and they still lease the property even if they didn't get drawn. Wouldn't hurt my feelings if the deer numbers stayed a little low for a couple years and maybe some of the leases may get dropped.

QUOTE]640 is a ton for a NR to solely own.[[/QUOTE]

Guys I used 640 soley because that is roughly 1 sqaure mile. 1 sqaure mile is believed to be a bucks home range on average.

I agree that is alot for a NRLO. Wouldn't be me. I would just bribe, oops, donate and get a govenor's tag.

here is another problem and this applies - Bill Winkes Midwest whitetail show- When you drive around Albia?Monroe county you have all these young kids running around for Bill videoing hunts. It doesnt matter whether its NR kids or resident kids, but some of these kids are running around hunting every piece of land they can, Bills Army if you will. Nothing aginst Bill- I love the show, he does a great job, my point is that this Video hunting craze hurts everyone and the state no longer needs to encourage it by giving out governors tags. If that is the case they may as well auction them off to the highest bidder and use the money to pay teachers or build a town p[ark, you get my drift - we give this shyt away to people who make money on it and sepnd that money in other states. so.... take this and apply this to nrlo , draw time etc etc etc. its a chicken before the egg scenario

I don't know that would be the case. Think about it... 7 years ago (or whatever) we had NR's able to draw every other year. Was all the land gobbled up then and then it's all been sold back to residents now that it's a 3-4 year draw? I don't think so. I understand easier tags for NR's could result in some land acquisitions but I think we've personally witnessed years & years of what land would be like with the every other year NR draw. Other than discussing the ramifications as well, we have to address the fact or question - WHY has the draw for these guys gone from every other year to 3-4 years? - In around 7 years timframe. CELEBRITY TAG MARKETING GENIUS & a rebound in economy to levels we had 5-8 years ago economically. Then, it should go thru folks minds.... With millions marketed to with the Celeb Tags- what's the draw going to look like in 5-7 more years? How you guys gonna like waiting 6 years to draw for example? NR's of any type but also including the guys who signed up buying land here with an every other year draw. Now, because we continue to grow and market Iowa because of a scam sham program, they have to be the ones to take it in the rear? Fundamental wrong doing and political-crony crap at its finest.

It would in fact be the case. Again, ask any realtor that knows anything about recreational ground. I can point out thousands of acres in my area that used to be open to hunting by a knock on the door that is now owned by nonresidents and locked down. Most of it was bought when the draw odds were better. Improve the draw odds for them or worse yet, guarantee them a tag and many thousands more would get locked up. I personally know of several guys that were praying for a different ruling by the courts because they all (nonresidents) would buy ground and/or add to what they have, if they could get tags.

Fletch I hear ya but I agree with Sligh in that I don't know that the huge influx would occur. I think it has already happened 6 to 10 years ago when prices were more of a bargain. I bought land in Iowa 11 years ago and probably would not today because of the price. I know they don't make more land, value is subjective, etc. but I don't have money to burn and would not buy today. Of course you're going to have deep pocket folks but I think Iowa has already experienced the "rush". The other side is from your residents who own property and want to take advantage of increased prices caused again by your own resident superstar hunters, Drury's, Lakosky's, etc. I've spoken to resident farmers who quietly hope for more change to sell their timber back 40. Nonetheless, I still think the big push has already happened.

Let me make one more point. Most buyers of small parcels, like myself, bought 10 years ago because prices were very reasonable. As I said I could not buy today whether in Iowa, Illinois, etc. I think a lot of big money guys bought in Iowa early because it was also an incredible investment and knew they would make a lot of money later. If rules changed today those who can buy 640 acres can buy 640 in Illinois, Kansas, etc., control their deer herd and grow big deer in all those places. Guys in this category don't need Iowa to grow deer they simply need the vast property. For example, Terry Drury bought in Missouri recently. It's not Iowa but he owns enough land to grow big deer. Bottom line is many smaller parcel purchasers are slowly being priced out and big money buyers don't necessarily need Iowa.

Last edited:
Here's a question that many people have asked but nobody ever gives an answer. So before anybody keeps going on with how unfair iowa is to nrlos somebody answer this question?! If nrlos are so good at qdm and want to hunt every year they should be able to buy a piece of property in another state where they can get a tag every year and manage it for big bucks! So why don't they? I honestly don't get it and this question has been asked numerous times but there is never an answer. Is it just the fact that they can say I own ground in Iowa? Clearly there are other states that have giant deer. If the state of Iowa is so unfair why continue to be involved with the state? Are they just holding on hoping it changes some day? I just don't get it? Somebody please enlighten me!

Speaking of guys running around videoing, changing residency, getting special treatment from the LAW etc, Scott Prucha on midwest whitetails. So blatantly a non resident , his whole family lives in wisconsin, and uses that traveling sales person bit to justify him never being around. This list is endless, the special treatment is endless, its disgusting.

Speaking of guys running around videoing, changing residency, getting special treatment from the LAW etc, Scott Prucha on midwest whitetails. So blatantly a non resident , his whole family lives in wisconsin, and uses that traveling sales person bit to justify him never being around. This list is endless, the special treatment is endless, its disgusting.

Yeah the number of TV personalities as well as non TV that play the game would truly be mind blowing to most

Here's a question that many people have asked but nobody ever gives an answer. So before anybody keeps going on with how unfair iowa is to nrlos somebody answer this question?! If nrlos are so good at qdm and want to hunt every year they should be able to buy a piece of property in another state where they can get a tag every year and manage it for big bucks! So why don't they? I honestly don't get it and this question has been asked numerous times but there is never an answer. Is it just the fact that they can say I own ground in Iowa? Clearly there are other states that have giant deer. If the state of Iowa is so unfair why continue to be involved with the state? Are they just holding on hoping it changes some day? I just don't get it? Somebody please enlighten me!

Mainly prices for me. I can't buy a large parcel in Buffalo County Wisconsin due to prices. Missouri could possibly, but they shoot rifles during the rut and I am not comfortable with that. Illinois is too far.

Iowa is what it is because they don't allow guns in December, and that draws in the NR (along with the lower land prices).

Prices are higher now, and the land rush may slow down

Fletch I hear ya but I agree with Sligh in that I don't know that the huge influx would occur. I think it has already happened 6 to 10 years ago when prices were more of a bargain. I bought land in Iowa 11 years ago and probably would not today because of the price. I know they don't make more land, value is subjective, etc. but I don't have money to burn and would not buy today. Of course you're going to have deep pocket folks but I think Iowa has already experienced the "rush". The other side is from your residents who own property and want to take advantage of increased prices caused again by your own resident superstar hunters, Drury's, Lakosky's, etc. I've spoken to resident farmers who quietly hope for more change to sell their timber back 40. Nonetheless, I still think the big push has already happened.

Let me make one more point. Most buyers of small parcels, like myself, bought 10 years ago because prices were very reasonable. As I said I could not buy today whether in Iowa, Illinois, etc. I think a lot of big money guys bought in Iowa early because it was also an incredible investment and knew they would make a lot of money later. If rules changed today those who can buy 640 acres can buy 640 in Illinois, Kansas, etc., control their deer herd and grow big deer in all those places. Guys in this category don't need Iowa to grow deer they simply need the vast property. For example, Terry Drury bought in Missouri recently. It's not Iowa but he owns enough land to grow big deer. Bottom line is many smaller parcel purchasers are slowly being priced out and big money buyers don't necessarily need Iowa.

Again, you are kidding yourself if you don't think there would be a tremendous amount of ground change hands very quickly if tag restrictions were loosened. There is a LOT of money out there waiting in the wings. I am just one guy and know of several nonresidents that were very disappointed in the court ruling. They are ready to write a check as soon as tags are made available to them. It would happen, and happen fast. It's the only reason that realtors are a strong lobby for nrlo tags.

Top Bottom