Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Been quiet

They prob contributing more based on income, and most of the others that spend winters elsewhere aren't putting themselves under a microscope by suing the state

[I also know they contribute more to the iowa ecomony than most average residents.]

I bet the average Iowan contributes almost all of their income to the state in one way or another. A few rich deer hunters are a drop in the ocean. If you are Gods gift to Iowa and Iowa deer move here.

Some Iowa residents contribute almost nothing to the state. You could be in all kinds of state assisted programs and be a resident. I'm not sure why a lot of you take pleasure in all of this? There are a lot worse things going on that don't come close to a few out of state guys trying to get access to what they love to do. Hunt big Iowa whitetail with a bow!

Some Iowa residents contribute almost nothing to the state. You could be in all kinds of state assisted programs and be a resident. I'm not sure why a lot of you take pleasure in all of this? There are a lot worse things going on that don't come close to a few out of state guys trying to get access to what they love to do. Hunt big Iowa whitetail with a bow!

People below the poverty either hunt for their food or can't afford it and don't participate. Those who can't afford it get assistance from programs like HUSH.

I'd much rather afford those who hunt for food the opportunity to do so via greater public land access than capitulate one extra acre to a non-iowa resident

Illinois has big deer too, I bet they even have land for sale and an archery season...just sayin

Last edited:
Please do move here! Pay Iowa state income tax and contribute to our economy on a regular basis, then we will have no problem with you getting three anysex tags just like all other resident landowners!

This again shows how little was explained in the article about the ruling. These guys were paying iowa income taxes. I also know they contribute more to the iowa ecomony than most average residents . One of these guys was called for and served for jury duty. The whole decision was based on how much time was spent here consecutively.This ruling will have far reaching effects on many others who spend the winters in other areas and are not here 6 full months before buying their license each year.

So they are snow birds who are Iowa residents? I don't see why they would have trouble buying resident tags if they are Iowa residents. If they are truly Iowa residents, then why not go to wally world( or where ever) give them your IOWA drivers licenses and buy your tags? How would they know how long you are in Iowa for? Do they put ankle tracking devices on these guys?!? Something in your story is missing. If I had to guess this goes way beyond obtaining resident deer tags and their residency as a whole is being questioned. Again that is just a guess as I only know what has been presented.

These guys aren't snow birds when this case was being argued the states attourney admitted that many current iowa residents won't meet the requirements to hunt if they spend to much time out of state. The the DNR has different requirements for residents than other state agency's . Alaska happens to be this way as well . As far as ankle bracelets no they don't have those but they did have to produce unreal amounts of data to prove there where abouts. I don't have the court documents but do speak to these guys on a daily basis . I do know that the attorneys have the plan for exact amount of time and documentation to be legal for next year.

What's up with this mean, rich NR theme many of you gravitate to? Are all Iowa resident land owners poor with holes in their shoes? Too much CNN for some of you guys.

I can't speak for the other people here, but I respond the way I do because I'm looking at it from the standpoint of: Iowa has a great renewable resource, we manage it the way WE see fit and it bothers me when someone from outside my state says, "hey, you guys should do it like this. This would be more fair to me". I'm not here to accommodate you and it makes you look like an *%$hole when you think that I am.

People don't respond well being told what to do. It's a little surprising that NRs haven't figured this out yet. Some of you have yes, we appreciate the fact that you're willing to accept the way we have things set up. To the rest of you whiners, you're going to get the same response every time.

Last edited:
These guys aren't snow birds when this case was being argued the states attourney admitted that many current iowa residents won't meet the requirements to hunt if they spend to much time out of state. The the DNR has different requirements for residents than other state agency's . Alaska happens to be this way as well . As far as ankle bracelets no they don't have those but they did have to produce unreal amounts of data to prove there where abouts. I don't have the court documents but do speak to these guys on a daily basis . I do know that the attorneys have the plan for exact amount of time and documentation to be legal for next year.

Im still not understanding how they are denied to buy tags if they have a valid Iowa drivers licenses. When I go to buy my tags, I give them my Iowa drivers licenses and I get my tags. Again, something else happened with these guys. There is a piece of the story you are not sharing. Something tipped the DNR off that these guys don't spend much time in Iowa and probably declared residency just to get resident hunting privileges.

I agree that many Iowa residents probably don't qualify to be residents. I know my father in-law is the opposite. He lives in Iowa for more months of the year but he declared residency in Florida so he doesn't have to pay state income tax(FYI: Florida doesn't have state income tax). IDK what florida's rules are but they could technically "audit him" on how much time he spends down there.

to a few out of state guys trying to get access to what they love to do. Hunt big Iowa whitetail with a bow!

Think there are a lot more than a few.
Very controversial topic but it may take me 2 - 10 years to get
a Arizona Elk tag. Do I want them to change the way they distribute
there tags? Nope (wish I didn't have to pay for a hunting license though even if not drawn). They can keep it the way it is because when I do draw it will be well worth it. IMO.

Just become a resident and there will be no more discussion on it.
Good luck to you.

I can't speak for the other people here, but I respond the way I do because I'm looking at it from the standpoint of: Iowa has a great renewable resource, we manage it the way WE see fit and it bothers me when someone from outside my state says, "hey, you guys should do it like this. This would be more fair to me". I'm not here to accommodate you and it makes you look like an *%$hole when you think that I am.

People don't respond well being told what to do. It's a little surprising that NRs haven't figured this out yet. Some of you have yes, we appreciate the fact that you're willing to accept the way we have things set up. To the rest of you whiners, you're going to get the same response every time.

X2. Out of staters telling us we should change our laws to benefit them is what gets me. The fact that it is all about the antlers just adds to it. This has nothing to do with having the right to hunt your own land(to my knowledge NR landowners can get doe tags every year and cant hunt other game every year), and everything to do with being able to legally shoot a buck every year............ Like another poster mentioned, it is crazy the lengths that some guys will go just for some bone growing out of an animal's head.

People below the poverty either hunt for their food or can't afford it and don't participate. Those who can't afford it get assistance from programs like HUSH.

I'd much rather afford those who hunt for food the opportunity to do so via greater public land access than capitulate one extra acre to a non-iowa resident

Illinois has big deer too, I bet they even have land for sale and an archery season...just sayin

Hmmm. Then I could become MN2ILGuy and sell my land to another NR since apparently no residents will be able to afford it. Oh wait... I can afford to hunt every year in Iowa because I can buy one of your conservation licenses. The IBA or another non-profit group is happy to sell one to me!:)

So funny how hard the wealthy whine when money does not get them what they want. I love it. This is one of those few times that money does them no good. Priceless!

its really very simple-The state changed their rules about 2-3 years ago. if you remember , it was 30 days in the state and voter registration, drivers license etc. The state changed the verbage and increased the days to 90 or 120, not sure . after that the state put together a small target list of people together - compiled by any number of ways . they sent letters to these people and said that we do not believe you are a resident for purposes of hunting and if you want to send us 9000 pages of information, we will take it under review. These 3 individuals have been residents for a number of years, i believe one of them has been a resident since the late 80's. but when you start changing the laws to suit yourself, you can hang anyone. Like the gentelman that claims residency in florida- Florida i believe is a mandatory 6 months, but if you you went 6 in fl, 6 in iowa, or any # of combonations, you can see how not everyone fits into the mold. People travel alot more etc etc etc, what ticks me off more than anything is why i see these video people hunting every year when everyone knows thet love everywhere but IOWA- and how about the governor tag situation, why are we promoting Iowa deer hunting anymore-

its really very simple-The state changed their rules about 2-3 years ago. if you remember , it was 30 days in the state and voter registration, drivers license etc. The state changed the verbage and increased the days to 90 or 120, not sure . after that the state put together a small target list of people together - compiled by any number of ways . they sent letters to these people and said that we do not believe you are a resident for purposes of hunting and if you want to send us 9000 pages of information, we will take it under review. These 3 individuals have been residents for a number of years, i believe one of them has been a resident since the late 80's. but when you start changing the laws to suit yourself, you can hang anyone. Like the gentelman that claims residency in florida- Florida i believe is a mandatory 6 months, but if you you went 6 in fl, 6 in iowa, or any # of combonations, you can see how not everyone fits into the mold. People travel alot more etc etc etc, what ticks me off more than anything is why i see these video people hunting every year when everyone knows thet love everywhere but IOWA- and how about the governor tag situation, why are we promoting Iowa deer hunting anymore-

Obviously, if they were "residents", we would not be having this conversation. They were playing the system and got shut down. Period. Time to start looking at all our neighbors that are bending the crap out of the rules to suit their needs. There are dozens more that should be nervous. Very nervous. Its up to us to hold their feet to the fire and clean up this mess.

Obviously, if they were "residents", we would not be having this conversation. They were playing the system and got shut down. Period. Time to start looking at all our neighbors that are bending the crap out of the rules to suit their needs. There are dozens more that should be nervous. Very nervous. Its up to us to hold their feet to the fire and clean up this mess.

You are going to play residency cop?

Make sure you check your resident neighbors too, they tend to trespass! Had that happen this weekend, one is in law enforcement too, and he blatantly pushed my timber not knowing someone was hunting on my farm. Dangerous and criminal

I am a lifelong Iowa resident.
So funny how hard the wealthy whine when money does not get them what they want. I love it. This is one of those few times that money does them no good. Priceless!
The money thing again. I am not wealthy nor own my own ground. It is similar to someone killing a 200+ monster and fellow hunters trying to dig up some law that was broken to diminish the success of the hunter. Do yourself a favor and get past the money cloud.

Top Bottom