Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Best batteries for your buck?

AIRASSAULT

PMA Member
I've been using 3 trailcams (1 DLC and 2 scoutguards) for the last couple years. }ve been using energizer lithium batteries. They work awesome, but spending $60 per yr just on batteries kinda sucks. Anyone have any luck with the rechargeables? How long do they last per charge? Do they hold up good in cold weather?

I run a couple bushnell cams that are the same as your scoutguards. I use regular duracells during most of year but they don't hold up very well in the cold months. I have tried the rechargables too, and I have found that the lithiums are the only way to go in the winter. I put the lithiums in around thanksgiving and leave them in till they die. Then one set of regular will get me back around till the next turkey day. It only ends up being $17 for the lithiums and $5 for the regs so I am only spending around $20 a year per camera. I was spending over $20 a month on my old bushnells and moultries that run on D batteries. AA is the only way to go.

I always use Duracell, my cameras never seem to have an issue flipping themselves on when I use them. I haven't tried the lithium batteries yet but I've heard good things about them.

Who do you think will be the first company to come out with a solar powered trail cam so we don't need batteries?

I suggest buying a couple 12V batterys like you can use in feeders or for depth finders. Then just make a case for it. They will take thousands of pics before they need charged again. only about a $50 investment for two with a homemade case. Bass pro & Cabela's carry them but your local bait shop may be cheaper. I've put a link below (if it works) in case you aren't familiar with them. Just a suggestion !
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...425000000_425007000?cmCat=CROSSSELL_THUMBNAIL

I run a few homebrews and always watch the homebrew forums. Everybody raves about the Sanyo Eneloop batteries. I don't use them myself so i can't give you any timeframe for battery length. But like i said, everybody that uses them loves them.

They have very little self drain and the cold doesn't effect them.

For cold weather the lithiums are the way to go. For the rest of the year The Sanyo Enloops are great. The enloops do not discharge by themselves as normal rechargeble batteries do. You can find lithium batteries on ebay for a little over a dollar a peice if you buy in quantity.

Last edited:
Top Bottom