Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Best Binoculars- FOGGING UP Question???

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, I have Bushnell Legend's that were $340. They had GREAT reviews. The clarity is EXCELLENT and low-light viewing is excellent. BUT- if the darn things fog up every time I use them and breath hard when it's COLD (worse yet when it's a pig of a buck cause I'm breathing harder) what's the point??!?!?!?! I seriously hold my breath and then put them down when breathing out. I got some anti-fog stuff from Sportsman's wearhouse for the lenses- NO DIFFERENCE. Makes me mad!!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/mad.gif

My ONLY QUESTION- let's say I saved up and bought a pair of Swarovski's for $1,950 (or Zeiss, Steiner, Leica, WHATEVER)- will these STILL FOG UP?!?!?!?!?!?!

I seriously have NO PROBLEMS with clarity, low-light, etc (I am sure Euro's are better though)- all I care about is this fogging garbage. My Bushnell Legends are labeled "Fog-Proof"- what a JOKE (I am thinking class-action lawsuit here!) /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Please tell me your experience and opinions!!! THANKS!!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I have a cheap pair of Leupolds. Got them on sale at Wal-Mart for $75 regular $100. I usually forget them but when they do get into the feild I haven't had any problems with them.
They are smaller 8x25 I think.

Do ya have a facemask on or something? I don't care what binos you have, they will fog up if you are breathing directly on them.

Otherwise, I don't know what to tell ya. I have Nikons and love them. They fog up from time to time if I accidentally breathe up through the facemask or something, but for the most part they do a great job.

I have tried with a facemask and without. I think with the facemask it's WORSE but both tend to fog. They fog OFTEN but I hunt in cold weather a ton, Muzzleloader season is obviously the time they fog the worst.

If someone said "if you spend $2000 on Swarovski's and they'll never fog" I'd probably buy them. But if someone claims they still will, I will keep what I have because, like I said, the clarity and light gathering is just fine for whitetails in Iowa. FOGGING in cold weather with or without a facemask really fries me!!! Will this go away with a huge amount of loot for the Euro binos?

*I did notice the expensive ones are Nitrogen filled. I don't THINK mine are. Will that make any difference for fogging?

Although I fully appreciate the craftsmanship that goes into the upper tier of optics, and the clarity they can provide in extreme low light conditions, glass is glass at the end of the day. You can buy clarity but I've yet to find glass that won't fog under the right conditions. Perhaps coatings and so forth reduce the potential, I don't know. I use Leupold Wind Rivers which are no means high $$ and I don't have problems unless I'm using a face mask as mentioned. Only thing I could suggest is to avoid breathing from the nose. Use the mouth only and direct the breath down and away. Some binos (not mine) also have special rubber extensions that mold to the face to kind of seal them off from that sort of thing. Maybe that would help?

As to the nitrogen filled thing, I'm not 100% on this, but I think the idea there is to reduce the potential for internal fogging when going from one temp or humidity extreme to another like going from a heated truck to cold outdoor temps all at once. Not positive on that last bit.

The only time I have a problem is if I am wearing a face mask, my glasses will fog up. I don't recall any times my binos have fogged up. I have fogged up my muzzleloader scope before by accidentally breathing on it. Not sure what to say. I have leupold wind rivers, but if i breath directl on them, they will fog. Just dont have a problem in the stand with them.

EVERY set of bino's will fog up, but you should be able to go to any dealer and ask for some anti-fog gel, or whatever it is, i have a little tube about the size of chapstik and by rubbing a little on the lenses then wiping it off with a silk rag will keep them from fogging up, mostly...

but i have no idea where specifically to get it at, but i know it works

"Fogproof" means they won't fog internally. It won't matter if you spend 2000.00 on optics, breath on the lens in the cold and they will fog.

If you have a paintball gun place around they will probably have anti fog spray. I've also heard liquid dish soap works too. Just spread a really thin coat on.Never tried it though.

There are many coatings now that help with this like Bushnelll rainguard. I have heard it works well although I have not tested any. I wear glasses and there is nothing worse than fogging to irritate me.

Also, some of the coming tech is described here

Last edited:
Bump for this thread.

It's been a few years since anyone's posted on this, but I was also wondering if anyone has any product (that they've actually used and had good results with) that will help with fogging? Maybe something new since the thread was started? Plus I would think this would be the time of year the site has about the most traffic, so odds are better someone can help out.

I've heard that Rain-X anti fog works, but I'm kind of hesitant to put anything on my optics glass before it's recommended to me from someone who actually knows what they're talking about.

And yes, I realize holding your breath works, but I hunt in the open country where you can see quite a ways can only do that for so long before passing out! ;)

I have owned 10x42 Swaro's EL 's for 10 years. I use a binostrap and have only on a very very rare occasion had fogging. Hasnt happened this year. The times it has happened it was sub zero weather.

Fogging aside. You will NEVER NEVER regret buying a good binocular. Best purchase I ever made. Lifetime investment.

Try putting Shaving cream on your bino lenses and then wipe it off. It should stop the fogging. If you don't believe me. The next time you jump in the shower smudge a circle in your bathroom mirror. Take a hot shower with the exhaust fan off. When you come out you will have a perfect circle that has not fog on it where the shaving cream was.

I have owned 10x42 Swaro's EL 's for 10 years. I use a binostrap and have only on a very very rare occasion had fogging. Hasnt happened this year. The times it has happened it was sub zero weather.

Fogging aside. You will NEVER NEVER regret buying a good binocular. Best purchase I ever made. Lifetime investment.

I've got a 'fairly decent' pair of binocs now (the best I could afford at the time) and overall, I'm really, really happy with them. I did make the mistake of looking thru a pair of Swaros when shopping (WOW!!), so they're on my bucket list, but at this point of my life, taking an elk or moose hunting trip is higher on my list and those were about 1/2 the cost of a trip!!

I've also heard that if you're wearing a facemask or if you breathe directly on the glass when it's cold, all binocs will fog up. Even ones that have been 'treated' will to a point and the treatment only helps. Apparently that's not the case with yours, but thats just what I'd heard that from multiple people.

I've got a 'fairly decent' pair of binocs now (the best I could afford at the time) and overall, I'm really, really happy with them. I did make the mistake of looking thru a pair of Swaros when shopping (WOW!!), so they're on my bucket list, but at this point of my life, taking an elk or moose hunting trip is higher on my list and those were about 1/2 the cost of a trip!!

I've also heard that if you're wearing a facemask or if you breathe directly on the glass when it's cold, all binocs will fog up. Even ones that have been 'treated' will to a point and the treatment only helps. Apparently that's not the case with yours, but thats just what I'd heard that from multiple people.
I have never worn a mask.....so that may be true.

As to the elkhunt vs. binoculars.....

I'd opt for the binoculars first, because you use them every single time you hunt for the rest of your life. Your elk/moose hunt will be over in 7 to 10 days. Just my two cents and just an opinion:D.

Shaving cream Liv? Interesting Might try it on my shades for ice fishing

Try some Cat Crap.....Seriously.

I'm not so sure you would want to be rubbing anything into your expensive lenses, but it is soft stuff. Sort of like a soft wax consistancy. I use it on my trailcameras and it works great. Only 4 or $5, so it would be worth a try. I think they have it at Bass Pro too and all the others.

http://www.google.com/search?q=cat+crap+anti-fog+%26+lens+cleaner&hl=en&prmd=s&source=univ&tbs=shop:1&tbo=u&ei=zljpTNfiI8m4nAf835jnDQ&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CEUQrQQwAg&biw=1266&bih=610

I have the same setup...no problems to report. I used to have a cheaper set of Nikons and they fogged up every time I thought about going hunting.

What I am about to post is going to sound pretty weird, but it has worked for me.

Take a plastic drinking straw that has the flex option at one end.

Put the straw in your mouth and turn the straw off to the side of your face and breathe thru the straw when glassing. :)

I also have removed the tubing from this type of grunt tube and used it in the manner described above. It actually works better than the plastic straw.

401454_M1.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom