Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Best Binoculars in the $200-300 range

Nontypcl1

I'm looking for a new pair of binos but can't afford what I really want (swarovski, leica, etc) so I am looking more in the $200-300 range. I have been checking out the Monarchs, bushnell legend and excursion, and also the vortex diamondback. I also looked at a couple pair of leupold but was not impressed at all by them.
I don't know a ton about optics and have only owned cheap $100 pairs before. I'm getting tired of crappy performing binos so its time for a little upgrade.
I'm just looking for some advice on best value and quality under that $300 range. So far I like the Monarchs, legend and diamondback but haven't narrowed it down any farther. If there is something else I should check out let me know and if you have any experience with fore-mentioned some feedback would be appreciated.

Also, I have always gone with an 8x42 for the better low light performance but have been contemplating on getting 10x42 for picking out little details better while still hunting. Is the extra magnification worth the trade-off vs low light performance?

At 300 bucks I feel the Monarchs are probly the best bet. You might also consider a set of Alpens if you can find them. Nikon has a 25 year no falt warenty but you have to send them in with a prof of purches. Alpen has a life time warenty as long as you send them in they will fix them no questions asked no matter what the problem is. I was not a big fan of the legends when i looked through them good glass just not for the price imo.

I had the Legends- fine if you don't bring them hunting with you or bump them around at all. (of course most do). The rings on the big lenses are easily dislodged and the binocs are not designed well. Lots of folks who are light on stuff won't have complaints BUT if you use the heck out of em- they won't last & Bushnell warranty on binocs SUCKS!!! Don't get Legends is what I'm saying. I'd pry get Monarchs or Bruntons or something. I have Swarovision 10x42 EL swaro's & love em but for deer, it's maybe a bit silly to spend that kinda loot. I like Leupold stuff but not a huge fan of the binos. I THINK I'd be buying Monarchs at that price range but that's just me.

I've used all kinds of glass in my years from cheap to owning a pair of Swarovkis for over 10 years now. In looking at your price point, I think you'll be happy with either the Nikons or the Vortex, but I'd have to give Vortex an edge in glass clarity. There are some obvious differences between Swaros and Vortex if you've used them long enough, but, honestly, when I've used Vortex, if I find them pretty comparable in clarity and at a fraction of the price. They also have a tremendous warranty (no fault, lifetime). If I had to absolutely choose between those 3, I'd go with the Vortex, no questions.

As for low-light conditions, I have always used 10x50 and 10x42 (current Swaros) and they work beautifully in low light conditions. I've never seen any diminished quality when compared to the 8xs I've used and I have done some serious low-light bird surveys trying to read small leg bands at dawn and dusk. I think you'll love the 10x42 Vortexs. I'd also 2nd looking at Alpens. I never really thought much of them until I used an Alpen scope on a custom rifle one day about a year ago. I almost bought the rifle after gonging the target twice at 500 yards. That scope was crisp and clear!

I have a pair of Zen Rays and Nikon Monarchs and IMO the Zen Rays are a much better binoc than the Monarchs. I dont have them with me so I am not sure what model I have. I do know that Justin (jjohnson) at Sportsman Unlimited carrys them.

I have a pair of Monarchs and a pair of Zeiss Conquest ABK's and honestly the Monarchs are just as good for 600 dollars less. I have had eye cup issues with both, and clarity is comparable. Like Skip said, it's hard to justify 2K on binos for whitetails. The new Monarch 3's are right in that price range and supposedly they have fixed some of the issues. As mentioned before Nikon has great CS. I would recommend looking at the new Monarch 3's and let me know how you like em. :D :way:

you might check out the Scheels brand stuff. I used a pair of 10x42's before buying my swaro's

IMO, Vortex and Zen Ray are going to give you the best glass for the money in that price range.. I think Zen Ray might just edge out Vortex in the glass quality, but the Vortex warranty is better. Never dealt with ZR's customer service, but Vortex's is top notch!

I just got the Bushnell Excursion EX's for $160 and love them. Very clear. For another 100 bucks or so, I might have gotten Nikons... probably the Monarchs. Tried them both (with quite a few others) after quite a bit of research at Bass Pro.

I got the Excursions mostly based on clarity, but they've also go a good, simple look and comfortable eyecups.

I got the 8x36's, and can fit them in a big pocket. If size isn't an issue, I'd go with 8x42 or even 8x50 if you're really looking for low light performance. I've never been a fan of 10-power... too shaky.

Last edited:
I have had some Monarchs for about 8 years now. Great glass but the eyecups suck! They are currently back to Nikon for the 3rd time, no money out of pocket except shipping there, but they have had them almost a month and a half and I had to use some crapballs this year to get thru deer season. If they don't speed up their warranty work I will buy something different. Scheels does offer in house replacement no questions asked. Possibly worth looking at......

I've had the bushnells. Sent them back once for repairs on the focus adjustment knob. they sent me a new pair no questions asked. Those lasted a few years now the eye cups are bad on them. I am currently trying a pair of Vangaurds. Price is the same maybe a little better as the monarchs. I felt the glass is better as well on the vangaurds vs the monarchs and is a ton better than my bushnells. Can't say about the long term durabilty since I just purchased them but so far so good.

Thanks for all the info. Looks like I have a couple more to check out. Thanks for the heads up on the customer service as well.

I have had the Vortex Diamondbacks for several years and love them. I accidentally dropped and broke mine in the duck blind this year and Vortex has a no-fault lifetime warranty. I returned them and they sent me a brand new pair, no questions asked, in less than a week. Best customer service I have ever had from a company.

I accidentally dropped and broke mine in the duck blind this year and Vortex has a no-fault lifetime warranty. I returned them and they sent me a brand new pair, no questions asked, in less than a week. Best customer service I have ever had from a company.

That right there (along with the quality) is why my next rifle scopes are most likely going to be Vortex. My buddies out here that use Vortex glass (binos and scopes) swear up and down by them. Excellent quality, warranty, and customer service that won't break your bank (until you get into their high-end models)! :way:

I checked out the vortex fury today and liked them over the diamondbacks. So far the vortex fury are my favorite but the monarch 3 are right there too. The warranty might be the deciding factor.

I've used the vortex fury 10 x 42 the last four years and really like them. A buddy and my dad also have a pair and they like them as well. I need to check out there scopes. Not sure if Boyd at Buck Hollow Sports still sells vortex or not but definitely worth checking out.

UPDATE ON MY WARRANTY REPAIR:

After I sent a message to Nikon the other day a customer service rep replied back to me saying that she would look into my issue and get back to me. She tehn replied back the next day and said my binocs were replaced and were on the way. I received a box yesterday from NIKON, overnight shipped, and inside was a brand new pair of MONARCH 3.
Now I am sawing WOW!! You talk about service!! I had an old original pair of Monarchs and they upgraded me to the new ones.

THAT IS CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!

Top Bottom