Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Best Chance for a 180"+++ Buck???

Best Chance at a 180"+++ Buck- Up to 3 choices

• Alberta, CA

Votes: 23 15.2%
  • Southern Iowa

Votes: 104 68.9%
  • Kentucky

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Kansas

Votes: 42 27.8%
  • Eastern & NE Iowa

Votes: 30 19.9%
  • Saskatchewan, CA (or other areas of Canada)

Votes: 74 49.0%
  • Ohio

Votes: 17 11.3%
  • Illinois

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Michigan (HA HA!!)

Votes: 4 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Bowhuntia - I don't have the actual stats in front of me, but we have had this discussion here enough times in the past that I am pretty sure of my statement(s) below.

The 3 buck rule is NOT the reason for fewer top end bucks in Iowa. The number of hunters that actually shoot 3 bucks in a year, via the "extra" LO tag, is quite small. Something like 30 to 40 people per year.

However, the number of shed bucks shot during the late rifle season is many times that. Additionally, overall deer numbers are down significantly and along with overall numbers being down, there are lower buck numbers. The lack of super top end bucks is really not because of the 3rd buck tag, there are multiple other factors that far outweigh that one.

I think bowhuntia has a good point. A one buck limit forces a choice. If you had a one buck limit in Iowa, there would be more bucks and larger bucks (simple math). The guy that shoots that 140 inch buck with his bow on November 5th is then done hunting and cannot take another buck.

Another scenario would be that same hunter passing the 140 inch buck because he only has one tag, and then two years later that buck is 185".

Now keep in mind that I am not critical of Iowa on management, but that is the one area where my home state (Minnesota) has it right...one buck limit.

But then you throw party hunting into the mix, and all of sudden it is not a "true" one buck limit.

Long term I believe Iowa will have to address this, it certainly wouldn't hurt mature buck numbers by reducing the limit!

Guys its ok,
Just keep managing the way you are and keep thinking nothing is worng or different and nothing can be done and it won't be...simple as that.

I am just trying to help Skip understand..... Iowa could be his dream spot if we all help rather than help ourselves......... loosing the 3 buck will help....not hurt.

1 buck per hunter....why not?? And yes no late doe either agree!!

I am a landowner. I suppose if they changed it to 1 or 2 bucks, it wouldn't make any difference to me. As landowners who hunt, we're probably a far greater HELP to the herd VS harm. I personally don't think I've ever shot 3 bucks in a season - maybe a year when I needed to take out a management buck or 2? I don't know any landowners who shoot 3 bucks. Remember, it's not like you get 3 buck tags to use during any season- it spreads you apart. For example, I buy 1 bow buck, usually 1 shotgun and 1 late ML. Probably somewhat typical. I guarantee I won't shoot a buck all 3 of those seasons, just allows me to be out and I'm lucky to fill 1 or 2 of those. All this while I get shots at maybe, heck- if I had to guess?!?!?.... 200-300 buck opportunities a year??? Probably about accurate. If the buck limit were to be addressed, probably far better off addressing it on the whole population of hunters, the landowners are not the issue here.

We don't have a detrimental problem with anything right now- I mean something that's destroying our potential, say like MI having a Nov 15 gun season & 20 times the hunters all able to bag 2 bucks, most of which are 1.5 year olds. You wanna see problems, go hunt MI. We do have some "serious" problems BUT I'd put those as- the late antlerless season and areas in the state that are decimated with doe tags when they don't need to be. Follow that with guys that "need to get a buck" and end up shooting a top genetic 3.5 year old while passing a poor genetic 6.5 year old. Which happens far too much. We have problems here BUT why I put Iowa in the choices and why so many people choose it- it is darn good. We need to fix our problems & continue to get better with management, but I respectfully don't think the 3 buck tags is any (or a fraction) of the problem. I do worry our laws will eventually change though (in dozens of different ways) that our hunting goes down the tubes. I would be fine with status quo - with its problems- than some of the ideas folks have. Many hunters and sections of land "destroy" opportunity & potential at old, top end bucks BUT at least there's areas/neighborhoods with that potential. On average, IA is one of the best. I'd say the best areas are any areas with vast, "untouched areas" with little pressure, areas like the 10,000 acre blocks with no roads in Kansas, 100,000 acre areas of Canada and the super rural areas of Iowa where even if folks don't make good choices on management- it's not seeing the pressure of the highly populated areas.

I think bowhuntia has a good point. A one buck limit forces a choice. If you had a one buck limit in Iowa, there would be more bucks and larger bucks (simple math). The guy that shoots that 140 inch buck with his bow on November 5th is then done hunting and cannot take another buck.

Another scenario would be that same hunter passing the 140 inch buck because he only has one tag, and then two years later that buck is 185".

Now keep in mind that I am not critical of Iowa on management, but that is the one area where my home state (Minnesota) has it right...one buck limit.

But then you throw party hunting into the mix, and all of sudden it is not a "true" one buck limit.

Long term I believe Iowa will have to address this, it certainly wouldn't hurt mature buck numbers by reducing the limit!

Hardwood11- I don't think bowhuntia was making the same point you are. Resident landowners can get 3 buck tags per year, all resident hunters can get 2 buck tags. (BTW, I am not even considering the "loophole" where both resident and non-resident hunters can shoot multiple bucks per year while party hunting during the shotgun seasons. We'll save that topic for another thread. :grin:)

Virtually every landowner I know is more likely to shoot 0 or 1 buck per year than 3. (150Class' post is exactly the same thing as what I have seen from almost all landowners that I know. Speaking just for me, I too could have shot 30 bucks over the past 10 years as a landowner, but I have shot 5 or 6 total and never more than 1 in a year. In my experience, this is pretty typical for land owners that I know. If we changed the annual limit from 3 to 2 for resident landowners then between 150 Class and myself, there would be NO impact on buck numbers.)

All I am saying is the eliminating the 3rd anysex tag for resident landowners will essentially have NO impact on buck numbers and/or sizes in Iowa. There just aren't enough of "3rd bucks" being taken to make a dent in the population one way or the other.

Now then...what you propose, a 1 buck limit per year, I believe would have the potential to impact age structure because I too think it would influence a good number of hunters to pass say a 130" class buck in hopes of a bigger one later, etc. Reducing from the standard 2 bucks per year to just 1 would force many more decisions in the timber.

Bowhuntia - I am not arguing that regulation changes cannot or should not be made, only that the 3rd buck factor is essentially a non-factor in how many 180"+ deer there are roaming our state. If we are considering changes though then let's identify some that truly impact the problem. IMO, the 3rd buck deal just doesn't.

To me it all depends on if we are talking managed ground vs. state land, which weapon you choose etc..

If you give me 1000 acres to heavily manage in any of these areas (except Michigan) I am surely confident I could produce multiple 180's every year.

I agree with this alot. Depending on what is going on with the ground in terms of management and acreage is a big part of it. Some guys in southern IA may never see a 180 due to acreage access situations and others with huge managed farms may see piles.

Up here there just simply aren't areas that are managed for deer and Mother Nature herself kills as many as hunters, likely more.

Based on yrs of reading I'd guess that the best chances for the guy with managed ground, ideal food, weather, genetics etc that it is Ia. For the avg. dude going and knocking on a door it's here by far, I believe it's something like 1 in every 700 deer killed in an avg yr is a net booner. In terms of walking up to a guy's door, shaking his hand and walking onto some beauty ground and not seeing sign of another hunter lots of days, Sask just simply cannot be matched.

One buck rule......

the ? wouldn't even make sense if you guys had a 1 buck rule because the choice would be so obvious.

I was going to vote for Skip's farm but I see it is not on there. :D If I could pick anywhere to shoot a 180 it would probably be in a 10 acre woodlot in the middle of Des Moines somewhere. Anywhere they are allowed to grow old wth low pressure is a good bet.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
I see several guys/landowners saying ......
Doesnt matter to me i only shoot 1 deer anyhow.

Well i am not talking about you guys, i am talking about the guy who shoot a 125" then a 140" the probably back to 135", these people are out there.....
not to mention how many he wounded and lost getting the 2 or 3 he claims.

All I am saying is 1 buck per hunter per year is enough and cannot hurt.
This either forces the hunter to be picky or he is done after 1

again, for you guys shooting 1 buck every 5 year...congrats....me too.

I see several guys/landowners saying ......
Doesnt matter to me i only shoot 1 deer anyhow.

Well i am not talking about you guys, i am talking about the guy who shoot a 125" then a 140" the probably back to 135", these people are out there.....
not to mention how many he wounded and lost getting the 2 or 3 he claims.

All I am saying is 1 buck per hunter per year is enough and cannot hurt.
This either forces the hunter to be picky or he is done after 1

again, for you guys shooting 1 buck every 5 year...congrats....me too.

If a guy who owns his OWN land wants to shoot forkhorns and spikes it's NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS! Yep they are out there and maybe they just like to hunt deer. What a concept huh? Some people don't care if they shoot a bigger deer than the neighbor, I know it's hard to beleive.....

Top Bottom