Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Best Climbing Sticks?

SplitG2

I'm starting to look for another set of climbing sticks. I have a bunch from Sportsman's Guide - the cheapos that reach 20 feet. They work fine, but they don't stack together whatsoever so they suck carrying a long way. I also have a set of River's Edge 15 ft sticks. I really like how they stack together evenly and overall just like them, but they squeak like heck every time you climb up or down. Not sure if they're squeaking against each other, or squeaking against the tree bark, but it's really loud.

Anyway, on with the question. I'm looking for something $100 or less because there's always a chance it might get set on public. Is there any brand of climbing sticks in that price range that stacks together nicely for carrying and decent quality?

I already have a Lone Wolf stand/stick set for hang and hunts, but I'm looking for something I can leave out there until the season is over.

I'm partial to rapid rail style steps. I bought several sets this year to leave up with the plan being to pack the bottom step in and out with me. This will leave my first step about 7 feet off the ground, and if anyone can jump and climb to steal my stands then the more power to them. I bought several cheaper sets from Menards to try this fall I'm thinking for $30 for three 32" sections.

Good idea, I don't have any rapid rail sets except for the Lone Wolf. I'll have to start looking into those, thanks!

The steel rapid rails are great for permanent locations but if im on the move my number one choice is lonewolf with muddy being right behind.
Ive never had a problem with trespassers or anything being stolen but im still not leaving my lonewolf set up without pulling the first 3 sticks, to expensive for me to lose

You will get a consensus Muddy's and Lonewolf answer I think. Although, the Gorilla (Lone Wolf knock-offs) are bad either and much cheaper. Probably find a set of 3 around $100 I would think.

I'll go ahead and provide the lone wolf answer. I've been using a lone wolf alpha and 3 sticks since about 2004. Never had a single issue with them that wasn't induced by myself and they work great.

If you plan on leaving them on public it's only a matter of time until something gets taken. So I pack in and out every hunt. Takes more time but all of the equipment is expensive to replace so that's how I justify it.

I usually pack in the alpha/sticks and hang and hunt in the afternoons, but in the morning I've always figured it was too loud and cumbersome trying to sneak in in the dark and hang a stand. Do you guys have a tree already picked out and trimmed that you pack in and hang on in the mornings? Or do you just go to a general area and try to find the right tree in the dark?

I'm assuming the intent is to leave both the sticks and stand in the tree, but could you just leave the stand and pack in the sticks? Or the rapid rail idea seems like it would work and cut down some time in setting up. I use the 16' (may be 15') climbing sticks from Menards and don't seem to have any issues with sqeaking, although I do use ratchet straps when I can't get the cam buckle strap or whatever it's called tight enough. I also only set these up and leave them on private. Don't worry about them as much as I would on public, but still worry about them being there sometimes. Squirrels like to take them I've heard, cuz I know we don't have any issues with trespassing.

I usually pack in the alpha/sticks and hang and hunt in the afternoons, but in the morning I've always figured it was too loud and cumbersome trying to sneak in in the dark and hang a stand. Do you guys have a tree already picked out and trimmed that you pack in and hang on in the mornings? Or do you just go to a general area and try to find the right tree in the dark?

Why not use a climber in the morning?

I like the versatility of the Lone Wolf with the climbing sticks, I haven't found a tree that I couldn't get to work yet. It seems like a lot of the trees in my area wouldn't work too well with a climber.

I'm almost starting to wonder if I could just put a cheap hang on up for my public land spots and use the Lone Wolf sticks I already have and just pack the sticks in and out each time, leaving the stand up. This way I know more than likely nobody would be hunting that stand except for me, and it makes it a heck of a lot harder to get the stand stolen...

I prefer to hang a day before if I can. I know some guys say they have no problem, but in my opinion the walk in, in the morning is stressful enough. I hate hanging and hunting in the morning.

I try and pick a tree out after a morning hunt (stand was obviously already hung), and then hanging a set later that day if I have a feeling I need to move or want to try a nearby location.

I like the versatility of the Lone Wolf with the climbing sticks, I haven't found a tree that I couldn't get to work yet. It seems like a lot of the trees in my area wouldn't work too well with a climber. I'm almost starting to wonder if I could just put a cheap hang on up for my public land spots and use the Lone Wolf sticks I already have and just pack the sticks in and out each time, leaving the stand up. This way I know more than likely nobody would be hunting that stand except for me, and it makes it a heck of a lot harder to get the stand stolen...

Is be worried about giving away my spot from someone seeing the stand. That's how half the general hunters figure out where to go. They either sit in your stand or hang not far away.

I'm almost starting to wonder if I could just put a cheap hang on up for my public land spots and use the Lone Wolf sticks I already have and just pack the sticks in and out each time, leaving the stand up. This way I know more than likely nobody would be hunting that stand except for me, and it makes it a heck of a lot harder to get the stand stolen...

This is what I do on the public. Bought a few of these (http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13148732) and just leave 'em up. No where near as comfortable as my LW stand, but for $40 I won't be crying my eyes out if they disappear.

This is what'd I'd probably do.

I prefer to hang a day before if I can. I know some guys say they have no problem, but in my opinion the walk in, in the morning is stressful enough. I hate hanging and hunting in the morning.

Yep. I like to have the stand site all ready to go, so I just climb up and start hunting. Less noise, sweat, and frustration that way. So, not sure if I'd like packing in the sticks even if the stand was already there, but again, I mostly hunt private. If I hunted primarily or 100% public, I'd probably be ok with packing at least a couple sets of sticks in to hopefully prevent my stand from being used or stolen.

Is be worried about giving away my spot from someone seeing the stand. That's how half the general hunters figure out where to go. They either sit in your stand or hang not far away.

Excellent point here. Guess it's a trade off of whether you would rather protect your hunting area or your stand/sticks. I suppose if you hunted from the ground without a blind, you could do both. I'm sure people would be disappointed if they placed a stand next to me...usually in the wrong place!

I like the versatility of the Lone Wolf with the climbing sticks, I haven't found a tree that I couldn't get to work yet. It seems like a lot of the trees in my area wouldn't work too well with a climber.

I hunt public land exclusively and haven't had a problem leaving an expensive stand up and packing sticks in and out. Especially around the rut, that's just too much effort to hang when you are trying to be as quiet as possible. Hang em high and use 4 sticks min.

I have the same plan with trail cams. Two strap on steps high and haven't lost one yet. (Just knocked on wood).

Get the quality steps, muddy or lw. Is you wait for the whitetail classic a set of 3 muddy's can be bought for 99.

the lone wolf sticks are great. they are spendy but very nice. the steps rotate right or left, the v's on the back that contact the tree rotate for every odd ball tree you can imagine, very lightweight, and stack great. I use 2 bungee cords and strap them to my lone wolf alpha stand.

I would rather have 1 set of lone wolf climbing sticks than 3 sets of the el cheapo 20' ladders................but thats just my opinion

I go with the cheaper stand and take climbing sticks in and out. You still run the risk of someone taking the stand, if the see it they can just bring their own sticks in. I have painted stands camo before and bungy the platform up against the tree to make it stand out less.

Top Bottom