Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Best CRP grass mix to choose by end of week

Jgamet

My father is enrolling his highly erodible ground into a CRP program and we have to know what specific mix we're going to use by end of this week. To help with deer habitat i'm recommending a warm season mix of Big Blue, Switch, Virginia Wild Rye, and Forbes. All other warm season mixes have switch and/or little blue with a couple other additives. My father is against planting forbes as he's heard they're just 'weeds' that will over take the field...so therefore he's wanting a cool season mix which won't be near as attractive for the deer bedding that land desperately needs. Any input on forbes being 'weeds' and their impact on mixes like this?

Usually the grasses take over the forbs. That's why regular burning is needed for forbs to thrive. The grasses smother the forbs. The weeds which cause problems are usually canada thistle or ragweed. The rag can be controlled by mowing the first years but thistle can be tough. Try to eliminate thistle patches with heavy roundup BEFORE planting the CRP mix.

thistle can be tough. Try to eliminate thistle patches with heavy roundup BEFORE planting the CRP mix.
Agreed. Giant problem in Pollinator Big CRP field I have. Next year getting smoked which is going to likely take out alot of good forbs, but have to do it!

Try to eliminate thistle patches with heavy roundup BEFORE planting the CRP mix.
I agree on thistles being a huge pain in the arse in crp but I haven't found a thistle that gly kills in mine. I have to nuke it with something stronger to get er done. Some of my crp is in emergency haying area so its all getting cut off and then getting a gly treatment after first hard frost and thistle rosettes will get a drink of something else to kill them. HOpefully that will give me until the next midterm management to worry about thistles.

I agree on thistles being a huge pain in the arse in crp but I haven't found a thistle that gly kills in mine. I have to nuke it with something stronger to get er done. Some of my crp is in emergency haying area so its all getting cut off and then getting a gly treatment after first hard frost and thistle rosettes will get a drink of something else to kill them. HOpefully that will give me until the next midterm management to worry about thistles.
2,4d will smoke thistles when they are small in the rosette stage in the spring. For that matter, gly will kill them then as well. So an early spraying of gly and 2,4d is in my agenda while natives are still dormant.

In Missouri. Highly Erodible Land Initiative (HELI) Continuous enrollment program.
right.... but HELI is just the umbrella term under which all the different management practices take place. There should be some options like CP-2, CP-33, etc, etc.

Here is an example of a CP-25 mix for Iowa.

CP-25.png

Yeah, here are the available mixes:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 11.11.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 11.11.40 AM.png
    519.8 KB · Views: 179
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 11.11.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 11.11.30 AM.png
    387 KB · Views: 176
Yeah, here are the available mixes:
So are you signing up under CP-38 SAFE? (I just enrolled acres into that program myself)

The actual seed blends will come from Seed suppliers.

CP-38 SAFE is back to continuous this year. It is my favorite of the programs.

Looks like u have a lot of flexibility. I have always been able to get my own custom mixes approved. Those lists are just “suggestions” or examples.

I get a little nuts but I do 2 types of switchgrass & usually they limit u to like .75 total lbs I think. (Kanlow, CIR, Shawnee, Liberty, sunburst, etc).

BB & Indian are a must IMO. Little blue, side oats, Canada & Virginia wild rye good additions.

some of my favorite forbs…. IL bundleflower, partridge pea. Sunflowers (many are actually asters) like Maximilian & ox eye. Prairie clovers. Purple cone flower. Black/brown eye Susan, Etc, etc.

I do like a plateau (imazapic) tolerant mix. Most of above is with exception of switch & few forbs. But - could lower rate on imazapic & run most of those for example.

Looks like u have a lot of flexibility. I have always been able to get my own custom mixes approved. Those lists are just “suggestions” or examples.

I get a little nuts but I do 2 types of switchgrass & usually they limit u to like .75 total lbs I think. (Kanlow, CIR, Shawnee, Liberty, sunburst, etc).

BB & Indian are a must IMO. Little blue, side oats, Canada & Virginia wild rye good additions.

some of my favorite forbs…. IL bundleflower, partridge pea. Sunflowers (many are actually asters) like Maximilian & ox eye. Prairie clovers. Purple cone flower. Black/brown eye Susan, Etc, etc.

I do like a plateau (imazapic) tolerant mix. Most of above is with exception of switch & few forbs. But - could lower rate on imazapic & run most of those for example.
Thanks, Sligh....very helpful

Top Bottom