Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Best Day Bassin' Ever

bigbuckhunter88

PMA Member
Well Saturday started out with an alarm clock going off at 4:50 waking me up so I could make it home to try out a new farm pond in hopes of getting into the morning frog bite. The plan was to have my brother meet me there(he had been there before) and then us fish together for the morning. Well I knew kind of where it was at and pulled into the right spot and the owner happened to be outside. I introduced myself, we have a membership which helps the owner keep up the pond and keep it looking nice, and she told me to go catch some fish. It was amazing from the word go, minus the fact my brother hadn't shown up yet. These bass had never seen a Live Target or Spro frog according to their actions. First cast resulted in a healthy 3 pounder, no camera man so the fish kept swimming. I fished the edge pounding fat 2-4 pounders. It was unreal and I was only catching on about 1/2 the boils. I decided to also throw a weedless 8" grape jelly worm as well which resulted in a nice fat 2.5 pounder. I tried calling my brother to no avail. I kept throwing the frog til I got to a spot that wasn't so weedy so I through the Jelly Worm. It hit the bottom, I bounced it once, and something absolutely slammed it. I set the hook and the fish didn't even budge. I knew I had a HAWG on. I wasn't ready for something that big so I had to loosen my drag a tad. I had to wade into the water to get here in fear of her hanging up on some rocks and I didn't want her to get beaten up. She was by far my personal best. Then it hit me. Camera was in the tackle bag, which was laying with my brothers pole in the back of my truck waiting for him to grab it. I flipped. I ended up snapping a couple cell phone pics, but none of them do her justice. I let her go to fight another day and drop all her eggs. I sent my brother a picture message of her and the caption said this "You are on my sh**list for not being here to take my picture." He must of read the message and jetted over cuz he arrived in 10 short minutes. We kept fishing throughout the morning hammering the bass on frogs all morning. We caught some other nice fish, my brother got one just under 5, but still nothing relative to the big female. Here are a few pics. Any guesses on weight. I luckily had my pliers, cell phone, billfold, and digital scale in my pocket so I know what she weighed.
(P.S. I wear a size 13 shoe)
IMG00243-20110618-0741.jpg

Trying to show off her big belly
IMG00241-20110618-0740.jpg

Brothers biggest of the day
IMG00244-20110618-0843.jpg

What a great morning, and fishing from the bank. I will go out on a limb and say that looks like a 9lb bass? I may be way off though. She sure is full.

She was bouncing between 7 pounds 6 ounces and 7 pounds 1 ounce. So I am saying she was 7lbs 1oz. Probably the biggest bass I will ever catch even though I can go back to that pond as often as I wish, I am not sure I will ever top that fat football. Thomas isn't the only one who loves fat girls. I am really wishing my brother was there to take better pictures. If he was there I would have taken measurements to have a replica made sometime down the line, but I guess I will just have to try to catch a bigger one or maybe the same one again.

Congrats on the fatty! Are you in Fayette county by any chance? That place looks really familiar.

Congrats on the fatty! Are you in Fayette county by any chance? That place looks really familiar.
I am from Fayette County and that is where they were caught. First time fishing the place and am taking the girlfriend there Friday night for some more topwater action hopefully.

I am from Fayette County and that is where they were caught. First time fishing the place and am taking the girlfriend there Friday night for some more topwater action hopefully.

Hell yeah, friday night topwater bite...... doesn't get any more romantic than that :grin:

Yeah, I thought that place looked familiar. I didn't realize they had bass that big in there. Thats a slob!

Top Bottom