Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

best deer decoy on the market?

Looking at buying a decoy this year was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the best decoy on the market... obviously the Dave smith decoy would be #1 but 600 bucks is a little more than I would like to spend....

I have a 3d target. Was thinking about the Tink's inflatable or a Montana Decoy, but the target was a gift, so I thought I'd try it out. Used it once last year. Stopped a doe that came running in...then she ran on. I assume something pushed her in to me but I didn't see what it may have been. Probably will give it a try again this year and maybe add some movement to the tail and ears and possibly add an antler to it. It definitely won't be intimidating to any buck as it is on the small side!

Just use one of your shoulder mounts of your wall!

Or buy one on craigslist for cheap in case it gets attacked! Mount it on a big tree for that "disappearing" act when the deer goes around it. For an open field, mount it on a saw horse and throw a deer hide over it.

Or theres the robotic deer decoys...but those are north of $600.

I looked at the carry-lite decoy at scheels the thing looks like its WAY to dark almost looks black!? Anyone else think the same thought?

I have two carry lites, but from several years ago. These ones are actually too light of a color IMO. Haven't looked at any of the more recent ones, but the paint detail on most if not all of them is a little off. Didn't get around to it this summer, but I plan to get out the airbrush and give them both a makeover. I'll have to post before and after pics when I do it.

Otherwise I've been pretty much satisfied with these decoys. Their noisy to haul around, but can save or break the day. Depending on the mood of the deer that sees them.

I looked at the carry-lite decoy at scheels the thing looks like its WAY to dark almost looks black!? Anyone else think the same thought?

Just looked at the one here in the shop -it looks like the right color to me. Not too dark at all - at least this one isn't.

They had the carry lite sitting by the Dave smith decoy and it was a very noticeable difference! But maybe aren't all painted the same!

I think that's the "hd" version. They appear to be darker just looking online. Was it priced around 159?

Just looked at the one here in the shop -it looks like the right color to me. Not too dark at all - at least this one isn't.

Yep, that's the Ez Hd version. It came out around 2011 and is painted a tannish color. The decoy has some dark hair lines on it in attempt to pass it off as having real hair towards deer. Great Decoy in my opinion.

I think you can't go wrong in whatever you decide to go with. People have even used their 3d targets as decoys. personally like to use a plastic bag for a tail to give it some movement. If it appears to look like a deer and you have a deer in the right mood, during the right time, you should be set.

Those Dave Smith Decoys are nice, but personally think their not worth the price. You can get a decoy with a mounted taxidermist deer hide for around $500-$750 depending on whether you already have the decoy or not.

Last edited:
Top Bottom