Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

best GPS

whitetail11

What would be the best handheld GPS for hunting and fishing use? I was considering maybe getting a Lowrance Endura. Any thoughts?

I have a Garmin also although I rarely use it but my brother lives in northern Idaho uses a Garmin and has for a number of years with no problems or regrets...;)

What are you wanting to do? Just navigation, collection of waypoints and data?
Do you care about the base maps, do you want to be able to import aerials etc?

I sat up and trained Jr High and HS kids and turned them loose last week with the garmin 60csx and they were simple to use and worked well while not appearing to be terrible on batteries. I've used the Etrex for similar events and geocache stuff in the past with good luck. Trimble, Garmin and Magellan all make decent products imo.

Here is a pretty nice review of recreation grade GPS units, but there are other nice options not listed.
http://gps.toptenreviews.com/recreation/

I want one thats good with data collection and has capabilities of aerial and color topo maps. Im considering Minoring in something that deals with GIS mapping so I would like to get some experience with that sort of stuff.

There is significant difference in recreation grade and mapping grade GPS units.
You can get in a recreation grade unit for 150-300 that will suit your needs...bottom end of the other is probably around 2k.

If you're looking for a map grade(sub meter or sub foot) data collection unit, it's a completely different animal and price range.

That said, you can collect waypoint coordinates, bring it into the software and export to a gis format, or possibly an excel spreadsheet and create your points and lines within GIS.

If you're looking to import aerials, remember the files are large, so you'll have to make sure the unit you are looking at has the HD and Ram to deal with it.

I have an Garmin Oregon 400T that I use for hunting, fishing and geochaching and I absolutely love it.

I am not real 'tech savy' and I have very little patience when it comes to that sort of thing and this unit is nearly idiot-proof. In fact, it just may be idiot-proof becuase there literally isn't one thing I've ever wanted to do with it that I couldn't figure out. :D

It has maps already pre-loaded on it, and you can download all of your waypoints onto Google Earth, which is very handy.

I just got a flier from Cabelas yesterday in the mail & on the front page it has a Garmin Oregon 450T (which I belive is a step higher then the 400T) on sale from Oct. 21-31 at the LaVista, NE store for $329.99. I don't know if that price is good at any other stores, and I know you can't buy them on their website at this price, but this is a very, very good price for a unit with these capibilities.
Just my $.02 worth.

I was looking at the oregon series my only concern was the all touch screen has that caused any problems? I assume there will be some sales on black friday.

Gotta be honest - I know it doesn't have some of the capabilities you're talking about, but the phone I just got - HTC Desire (US Cellular) has some sick apps that track you on a Google aerial map and allow for waypoints/etc to be marked. I just use the Google-map feature and can do about anything.

Used it the other day going on a property that we've never hunted (in the morning). We looked at a topo and then marked where we wanted to hunt - GPS phone took us exactly to our spots...

For what it's worth, it does all I need it to, plus allows me to have internet and phone all in one.

Just throwing it out there...

I was looking at the oregon series my only concern was the all touch screen has that caused any problems? I assume there will be some sales on black friday.

No, I've never had any problems with the touch screen. With that said, I've never had it out in really cold weather, which I have heard can cause problems with some touch screens.

As Gladiator said, I've heard from others that their phones can do some of the same things.
Problem for me is that I'm not sure I could figure it out.....I'd be looking for my hunting spot and accidentily call my wife or end up on IowaWhitetail.com!!

There is no cell phone coverage in most of the places I hunt here in Northern Minnesota. I would assume it would be better in Iowa. But I beleive that the GPS uses cell phone towers to find its position before locking onto the GPS. I could be wrong but that might be an issue.

Top Bottom