Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Best knife

steffn4108

Wanted to see what everyone's thoughts were on knives for gutting/skinning? Have had several they just don't seem to impress... Had some pocket knives work as good as the ones I currently have.. So what do you use????

I'm crazy in love with my Havlon Piranta. Its really the only knife you'll need if you do it right. I still carry 5 other knives in my pack because I'm paranoid, but its my go-to knife for everything. Its small, light weight and the replaceable blades are SHARP. I know many elk hunters out here that carry only a Havlon to field dress and skin elk.

A SHARP locking pocket knife with a 2 or 3 inch blade. If it's sharp & short it will cut what I want and not what I don't (including me). :rolleyes:

I carry multiple knives as well- I purchased the outdoor edge razor-lite pro with replacement blades. Never have to sharpen your blade again. Great buy

I second the havalon. I'm terrible at sharpening blades so its great for me. Just need a saw to cut up the rib cage and you're set.

I do 90 percent of my gutting of anything with a 70's vintage old timer pocket knife, longest blade is maybe 2.5 inches.
I also have a yukon series belt knife made by knives of alaska that is phenominal and gets alot of use.
Most of the skinning is done with a dexter russel swept blade skinner and caping activities i use a havalon or little hook knives for castrating hogs.
The blade material and thickness has all to do with a knife.
I would choose 1095 carbon steel first and foremost because it gets scary sharp and is easy to keep sharp.
Second would be D2 tool steel because if you can get it as sharp as you would like it will stay that way for quite awhile.
A ton of people like S30v blades but it is incredibly hard to work with when it gets dull. Those are only my opinions, i also avoid 440c stainless unless its throw away blades for the havalon.

Also a big havalon fan here. I've used that knife for waterfowl to processing deer. For skinning, gutting, and smaller game, you can't beat it. Can't beat a good filet knife for boning out meat or processing larger game. Customer service is great too. I broke mine once, contacted them and sent mine in. They sent me a new one a week later free.

I have like 10 free ones that they gave away at a Whitetails Unlimited banquet. Half have the gut hook and half don't which is perfect for me. I use one set for a while and when they get dull I sharpen them. Do this until it won't hold an edge and then I move on to the next. I use the gut hooked knife on the top half and the one without to cut around the "vent". It doesn't catch like the gut hook does and it is longer so it makes quick work of it without having to break the pelvic bone. I end up gutting almost all of our deer so my knives see quite a few deer a season.

Also a big havalon fan here. I've used that knife for waterfowl to processing deer. For skinning, gutting, and smaller game, you can't beat it. Can't beat a good filet knife for boning out meat or processing larger game. Customer service is great too. I broke mine once, contacted them and sent mine in. They sent me a new one a week later free.

This will be my next knife when I run out of freebies I think. Looks like a good all around blade.

I have always preferred a bowie style knife. For year I carried a bone handled bowie. I gave that to my son and replaced it with the Buck 119. Great knife for the money. Easy to keep sharp. It is all a guy could want in a quality knife in my opinion. I use my pocket knife if I find myself without a larger blade but love a large knife with a hilt like the bowie styles.

I'm not a big fan of the havalon anymore after skinning a bunch of hogs. 4 blades minimum to get the job done with that knife. I have 3 skinning knives that I use mostly, 2 custom made knives and a boker big game skinner. The boker holds an edge very well. I'm impressed with it.

I was given a CutCo hunting knife a few years back, I would cry if I lost it. Lifetime warranty and free sharpening (haven't used that service yet). I've done roughly 10 deer and a few hogs and it is as sharp as day one. Thought it was a gimmick when I first got it...till I cut that first buck's chest plate.

I have the Havalon Piranta Edge. It is extremely sharp but the blades are brittle and dull quickly. Most of the time I end up having the blade snap off before it gets too dull. Great concept just wish they would make the blades thicker. I'd gladly pay more for a more durable blade.

I got an old Remington knife with a gut hook on it and have used that knife for field dressing every deer I've ever shot. No complaints. For skinning, I use one of those folding utility blade types that you change out the razor blade.

Top Bottom