Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Best opener EVER!!!

Buckmaster14

This morning was by far the best morning I have ever had in the turkey woods.

I got set up at the end of an old logging road looking into a small field. as daylight broke, I heard gobbles from every direction around me. As the amount of light increased, I started giving a few short yelps. There was a bird to my right gobbling every couple minutes, and he sounded like he was about 75 yards off in the tree.

When the birds flew down, the one to my right sounded like he was coming in around behind me in the upper field about 40 yards behind me. I stayed silent for a few minutes and let him work on his own.

The next time I yelped... 2 birds gobbled less than 20 yards from me and I almost jumped out of my blind. I looked out of my right window and saw 2 birds entering the field I was in, full strut.

They saw my decoys, breeding hen, and semi strut jake, and came in front of my blind at about 3 yards. The biggest bird bumped my decoy with his chest a few times, and caught sunlight off my barrel and started putting. I chased his head around with the bead on my shotgun and when he finally slowed down I dropped the hammer. He dropped right in the middle of my decoys. The second bird stayed in the field. I yelped a few times and got him to gobble.. He popped into strut and worked out into the middle of the field.

A couple minutes later I see 2 more tail fans coming out of the woods on the far side... and a hen pops out from my left. What a show! A few minutes pass with these birds in my field and another shot sounds off across the holler to my right. My neighbor also shot a bird.

I wait for the birds in front of me to work out of the field, and i climb out of the blind. When I met up with my neighbor... he had a jake. My bird, 22lbs, inch spurs and a 9 inch beard.

Congrats! How do you like that blind?

ill be honest... its a lot of trouble. lol there isn't enough room inside the blind to get a gun out smoothly and quietly. if you want any chance, u have to bring a set of shooting sticks, and hold the gun out the window the entire hunt. Kind of a hassle, but I cant complain too much because it got the job done. :drink2:

Got out this morning and called in a soaking wet tom for a buddy of mine. inch and a quarter spurs, 10.5 inch beard. His first bird ever.

Top Bottom