Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Best Pheasant Auto-loader? Stoeger? Price, where purchase??

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Guys, I'm retiring the pump action wingmaster for an auto-loader this year. Our family has farms in SE SD with lots of birds and I need some fast shooting, I'm darn good with a pump BUT want to bump it up and get an auto-loader. I wanted the Benelli Super Black Eagle??? Is that right? But- the thing was like 1500-1700?!?!?!? WOW! For 3 days of pheasant hunting, I can't justify that. If it was my bow, that would be a different story cause I'm so much more serious about bow hunting.

OK- Is the Stoeger almost as good as the Benelli? I'm talking about the NEW STOEGER 3500:
http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/stoeger_model_3500.php
How close is this to the Benelli and is there any reason to spend 2-3 times the price on Benelli? Made by same companies too- I want to know that they have the same functionality and most the same type of mechanics, etc. As long as it's close- I'm cool, if there's a MAJOR differnence, PLEASE let me know!

I want the 26" barell and the black synthetic is fine. 26" ok for pheasants? I like shorter guns. 24" is pry too short right?

Where's the best place to buy this ffrom for the best price? I live in Des Moines BUT I go all over N and NW and some NE of des moines as well as south and southeast.

I've found the black synthetic for $550- not sure if there's a cheaper place OR a in-state place that's close???? I don't need the camo which is $50 more on average.

Ready to go in the next month to make the upgrade. When it comes to this stuff, I'm by far a pro and need some feedback from the pros here!!! Thanks!

To be honest with you. I would keep the pump. You won't gain nothing but missing faster with an autoloader. I have hunted with both and will pick a pump any day of the week over any of our autoloaders but that is what works best for me. I start shooting too dang fast and not taking the time to get down on them with an auto.

I would definitely get the 26 inch barrel. I can't comment on the Stoeger but I hear they make nice guns. If you want 3.5 inch my favorite is a winchester SX3 but they run around $900-$1000. The SX2 are pretty sweet two if you can find one.

We have had great luck with the 3 inch remington 11-87s but not so much on the 3.5inch. Sometimes she won't kick out 3.5s well.

The stoeger does look like a nice gun.

I'm not a Benelli expert by any means, but I'm pretty sure that they both have the same operating system which is recoil operated. I think they call it inertia driven. You'll feel more recoil with that system- that and I'm pretty sure the Benellis are lighter weight. There's a trade off there lighter is easier to carry, but you won't have the mass to soak up the recoil. I have a Benelli super 90 entry gun for work with a short barrel ( really short) and that thing really packs wallop recoil wise. I'm not sure on the Stoeger's weight though. That is something to consider if you're going to be doing alot of shooting.
I prefer gas operating systems myself. Since they take some of the gas from the shot to operate they take some of the recoil away. Some popular ones would be Remington 1100, Winchester super x2 or the newer x3(which is a really sweet gun) browning golds, or the Berreta al390 or 391. Some of those will be more than what you want to spend, but I'd bet if you look you could find a new super x2 for close to what you're looking to spend since the super x3 came onto the scene.
You could maybe save a bit by not getting a 3 1/2 inch chambered gun. You sure don't need it for pheasant, and why pay for it if you won't be shooting 3 1/2 shells?
As far as finish the black will definitely do, but I prefer walnut stocks with blues barrels. That's just me.
Sure wish I was in your boat- so many birds that you need an autoloader. The birds here are so far down it's sad. I used to do a ton of pheasant hunting. These days I can't even say I really hunt my dogs- I just take them for runs where we used to shoot birds.

Once you change to an autoloader you'll wonder how you ever got along without it. Easier target aquisition for shots 2 and 3 is the big reason.

I have a Browning Gold Hunter, and since buying it about 10 years ago, the over and under, as well as the pump guns seldom leave the gun case. Believe the new version is called Silver, but the Browning is a great autoloader. Mine was around $650 new at the time, but I know they've increased since then. Good luck!!

NWBuck

Once you change to an autoloader you'll wonder how you ever got along without it. Easier target aquisition for shots 2 and 3 is the big reason.

I have a Browning Gold Hunter, and since buying it about 10 years ago, the over and under, as well as the pump guns seldom leave the gun case. Believe the new version is called Silver, but the Browning is a great autoloader. Mine was around $650 new at the time, but I know they've increased since then. Good luck!!

NWBuck

I have a Browning Gold Hunter also, bought it the first year they came out with them when I was 16 for like $600. You can't go wrong with a Browning, they'll last forever if you take care of them.

My recommendation is this... Don't ever buy a gun based on price. Go to Cabelas or Bass pro or somewhere that has a vast selection of brands and hold and point everyone of them. You will find one that fits the best and that has the best feel for you.

You will not need a 3.5 inch gun for pheasants. With the new 2 3/4 inch loads that is all I would worry about. My bro has a Benelli SBE2 for goose hunting, it is a nice gun, but would be a pain in the @$$ to carry around in the pheasant field. I go to SD every fall (near Huron) and all I carry is a over and under 20 gauge, so don't let anyone tell you that you have to shoot a 3 inch 12 gauge for roosters. I have owned over the years the Browning Gold hunter, the Benelli M2, and the Remington 11-87 SPS. If I had to sell you one based on price, durability, functionality, and ease of use, it would be a toss up between the Browning and the Remington. You should be able to shop around and find one for a good price. Look on GunBroker.com. They have a ton of guns and you can do a direct search for what you want. My old man has purchased a bunch of shotguns from that site with no issues. The sellers will all have ratings similar to Ebay. In the end it comes down to what fits you the best physically and financially. We all know you usually don't skimp on your hunting stuff, so don't skimp on a shotgun. You'll have it forever. Do a cost over time analysis and it will be cheap :D Good Luck Skip.

I shoot a SBE2, and I love it..its fast handling and just smooth. I went and held a lot of guns before I bought it, and it was the best "fit" I have no problem carrying it, and it does not kick hardly at all. Thats the point of the inertia driven system, it takes the kick from the shell to eject it basically..

I have a Benelli M2 field & love it. It's a couple hundred cheaper than the SBE2 & the only real difference I can see is that it won't shoot 3.5 inch shells. I switched from a Browning & won't go back. I don't know anyone that has owned that new Stoeger yet. The Benelli isn't cheap but I expect it to keep it forever.

I had a SBE2 and traded it off for a M2. I did not need the 3.5" shell capability. The M2 had a better line of sight for me and I could swing it much smoother. You can't go wrong with either model, but if your wanting a gun for upland game only, save your money and go with the M2. If you're going to use it for waterfowl and turkey also, you may want the 3.5" chamber.

I just bought a Browning Maxus. It's a sweet gun...No kick and fast. Easy to clean and handles great. It was either that or the Benelli M2 for me and I liked the Browning more. If you want a gun for a little less I have heard some pretty good reviews on the Stoeger 3500/2000. shotgunworld has a lot of information on shotguns if you want some more opinions.

browning all the way. i have 3 golds and a silver, 2 are 3 inch guns and 2 are 3 1/2. love them all. the silver is my favorite and you can pick one up in 3 inch pretty decent price. mine is 3 1/2 and camo for waterfowl but if only pheasant huntin you only need 3 inch. they all shoot awesome.the 3 incher will shoot all loads but the 3 1/2 needs little heavier loads to cycle. look at the maxus it is supposed to be cats meow.

What's the price range on these???
I was able to toy with a Benelli S2 and a Benelli Montefelto and I loved those- both AROUND 1100-1200. I really liked a Beretta BUT it was like 1600+!!!
I will check out the Brownings for sure!
I did NOT like the 11-87 Remington. I like mine for a slug gun BUT for birds, it was heavy and clumsy VS any of the above. No comparison.

not sure on maxus but walnut stock and blued browning silver is alot less than those others. it is a sweetheart of a gun if you dont like it i will buy it from you

just watched a show on gun nuts about remington versa max. might want to look at that one too. they had alot of good things to say.

Sligh1- I shot a Stoger M2000 for the last 4 years and love the gun, I have only run into a one time jam in sub zero weather at the end of the year when it hadn't been cleaned or oiled. Great gun, got the one with the wood stock, shot more rounds through it than i can remember, $400. Use it turkey and pheasant and shotgun deer. can take a 3 1/2in. For the price, no better semi-auto. this year i bought the SBE II (wood grain edition) virtually no difference in how the gun handles, its lighter than the M2000 ($1200 one year old new at sheels), ironically i found myself shooting over birds all pheasant season... just some more practice i guess...

For the price, highly recommend the stoger M2000!!

Good luck and happy hunting!!

I own a Benelli M2 and a Stoeger 2000 and I like them both. The M2 is put together so much better and the action works in cold temperatures much smoother then the Stoeger and my friends Beretta. But the Stoeger is half the price as the others so its your money decision I believe.

Top Bottom