Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Best Practice for Bowhunting Birds

bpbowhunter

I want to get a census on what most people have success with when bowhunting for gobblers, based off some basic criteria. Say you are hunting out of a blind, have a mouth call, and a couple decoys. You are welcome to throw out brands, models, favorites etc....but I'm most interested in the simple stuff. Out of the blind, how often do you recommend calling when hearing a gobbler, and also how often when you don't hear one? Do you prefer calling with decoys, or without? What's the best approach when you know you are in their bedroom in the morning? Lastly, what do you do when they "hang up"? Last season was my first year every hunting the birds, and I had a couple really good encounters and got 1 shot off, unfortunately missed it. So no success, but am looking to change that outcome this year! Your advise and help is much appreciated....thank you in advance.

I struggled killing birds with a bow when I first started turkey hunting also. Never killed one with a gun until just a few years ago. The single beat thing I did/purchased was Dave Smith decoys. It literally changed everything. The year before the purchase I figured I could've shot 30 birds with a gun and never tagged out with the bow. Bought the decoys and in the last 5 years they've killed close to 30 birds. So my best advice would be buy the most realistic decoys you can afford. The Dave Smith jake aND a decent looking hen would safice.

Put your decoys inbetween 5 & 10 yds away from the blind. I like the jake close. Once he commits he will be right on top of the jake. Practice for a 5-10yd shot.

If you question that your calling to much. You probably are. Turkeys have a routine and will follow it almost religuously. If they fly down and go the other way let them know your there by calling but they know your there and will return once they're done with the first batch of hens.

If you've been patterning a gobble in a certain area. Beat him there and wait. You can call very minimally. Maybe once every 30-45 minutes. He will show.

If you've got a lone bird fired up. Keep his interest but be prepared to shut up for 30 minutes or so. It will drive him nuts.

Last be prepared to be humbled. They are really a stupid bird and do things that will keep you humble for aure. About the time you think it's gonna happen he will walk away for no reason at all.

Don't rush the shot. If he commits you will have plenty of time to enjoy the show. Good luck and have fun.

I struggled killing birds with a bow when I first started turkey hunting also. Never killed one with a gun until just a few years ago. The single beat thing I did/purchased was Dave Smith decoys. It literally changed everything. The year before the purchase I figured I could've shot 30 birds with a gun and never tagged out with the bow. Bought the decoys and in the last 5 years they've killed close to 30 birds. So my best advice would be buy the most realistic decoys you can afford. The Dave Smith jake aND a decent looking hen would safice.

Put your decoys inbetween 5 & 10 yds away from the blind. I like the jake close. Once he commits he will be right on top of the jake. Practice for a 5-10yd shot.

If you question that your calling to much. You probably are. Turkeys have a routine and will follow it almost religuously. If they fly down and go the other way let them know your there by calling but they know your there and will return once they're done with the first batch of hens.

If you've been patterning a gobble in a certain area. Beat him there and wait. You can call very minimally. Maybe once every 30-45 minutes. He will show.

If you've got a lone bird fired up. Keep his interest but be prepared to shut up for 30 minutes or so. It will drive him nuts.

Last be prepared to be humbled. They are really a stupid bird and do things that will keep you humble for aure. About the time you think it's gonna happen he will walk away for no reason at all.

Don't rush the shot. If he commits you will have plenty of time to enjoy the show. Good luck and have fun.

Great advice and so true. After a few years if you bowhunt turkeys you have to a least try the Bullheads they add a whole other realm of excitement to the sport.

Funny you should suggest the magnus heads. after going out this weekend with my 13 year old girl and getting her a nice gobbler. I got the itch to try a new challenge for myself and ordered the 100 gr. bullheads--hope to get to use them.
Great advice. think the biggest thing time has taught me is to be patient and sparing with calls and buy good decoys. I have the avian x jake and a hen and it has made a world of difference,

I am very new to turkey hunting, this will be only my 3 season with the actual purpose of getting a turkey. I had alot of the same questions but only frustrated myself. Each bird I shot, also my wife's, I was set up where I knew they would travel based on simply seeing them there before. No decoys, no calling. They were just out-n-about and got shot! Just giving my very limited experience.

Thank you. I agree, sounds like great advice. Have you tried out of the blind without any decoys? If you get a gobbler interested with a few calls, what are the odds he will stroll past looking for hen he can't see?

Thank you. I agree, sounds like great advice. Have you tried out of the blind without any decoys? If you get a gobbler interested with a few calls, what are the odds he will stroll past looking for hen he can't see?

It's doable but I think the best part of turkey hunting is when you get to see the tom pin his ears back and head for your decoy from across the field. Nothing like it. Using decoys will also likely result in better shot opportunities.

I like not using decoys if I'm hunting timber, it seems they hang up less at that 50-70 yd mark when they aren't exactly sure where the other birds are. Plus they typically can't see decoys from great distances in timber anyhow. They seem extra attentive to any movement or thing out of place if they don't have the distraction of a decoy though. My two cents.

Top Bottom