Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

best spot to hang stand during rut??

buckfever57

bowhunt or die
I recently got permission to hunt a big batch of timber during November and gonna go scout and hang stands today. Wht is the best spot in a big timber to hang stands for the rut? This will be first time i have had access to timber during the rut. I have looked at the maps and found a few pinch points but on some u would have to walk threw the timber to get to it. Is it better to set up in a bedding area or try to get to the pinch point and risk bumping deer out. I was gonna walk around it today and look for buck sign like rubs and scrapes and also look for trails that come together and see if there is a good tree close. Wht would you guys do in this situation. Thanks for the help

It would depend on the property. It's hard without seeing an aerial map. But I will say that if you plan on hanging near/in bedding areas that you should prepare to hunt all day.

I would do whatever I could to get to the pinch points and spend the day. Find 2 or 3 different entry and exit routes so you have options. Another option is to work towards that area over time rather than just barge right in. The upside is that during the rut there should be movement all day and getting in and out should not be as crutial as other times as long as you stay out of bedding areas. Good Luck on the new property.

I would do whatever I could to get to the pinch points and spend the day. Find 2 or 3 different entry and exit routes so you have options. Another option is to work towards that area over time rather than just barge right in. The upside is that during the rut there should be movement all day and getting in and out should not be as crutial as other times as long as you stay out of bedding areas. Good Luck on the new property.

I would 100% agree on pinch points. I eventually learned to look for them after many years of bowhunting. If your spot has ridge tops that come together in "pinch points", look for trails. They should be there. Then figure out which way your wind normally blows through that spot. Hang stands downwind.

If your property has a creek running through don't overlook creek crossings. I hunt a large chunk of timber and it can be super frustrating at times because the deer have so many options as far as trails.

I have had success in places where the only bottleneck is a shallow creekbank surrounded by steep creek banks. It amazes me how much high foot traffic deer trails change from year to year though.

Like everyone else has stated, it all depends on the layout of the land. I have big blocks of timber that i hunt that are actually really easy because of ridges, natural funnels, ect. But i am currently in a situation where i have a big deer living on a giant oak flat with no funnels for hundreds of yards... It is all about access and wind. Good luck and you wont know until you get in there!

If your property has a creek running through don't overlook creek crossings. I hunt a large chunk of timber and it can be super frustrating at times because the deer have so many options as far as trails.

I have had success in places where the only bottleneck is a shallow creekbank surrounded by steep creek banks. It amazes me how much high foot traffic deer trails change from year to year though.

That set up is very close to where I was on Saturday morning. Wasn't steep banks, but was an area where the crossing comes in to about a 1 foot gap instead of a 5+ foot gap on each side. Deer flock through that baby! Didn't get the one I was after to cross, but that creek bottom I have VERY high hopes for!

Top Bottom