Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Best trail cam for under $125

deerhunter93

What do you guys think is the best camera for under $125? I have an older moultrie game spy D50 that uses D batteries and I don't want to spend tons of money on batteries so I haven't used it much at all. I am looking for one with AA batteries so I can get rechargeable ones and go that route. I know the high end cameras like reconxy are great but i'm not going to spend a bunch on a trail cam. What do you think, stay with the D50 or look into a different one? Any input is appreciated greatly because I don't know what to do! Thanks!

I like my moultrie m80. I would probably go with the newer version the XT. Set up on video is awesome with sound. Great range, small camera and good batterly life. I have had good luck with truth cam 35 as well. Not as good night time range but good trigger and amazing battery life. takes D batteries though but will last you a whole season.

The new truth cam mini cams look very good. The covert CA3.0 is a good one I hear as well.

I have some truth cam 35s. From 70-80$ night pics have little range. But otherwise take good pics. Worth the money for sure. Duracell D batteries last a long time in fact Ive never killed the batteries. I usually check them at least monthly. They would last all summer out there Im sure.

All the cameras above are really good ones for the price. I think that the Truth Cams should come down in price soon with the release of the smaller versions. Check out some of the stores on ebay.com as well they offer some really great deals. Good Luck!

I like my moultrie m80. I would probably go with the newer version the XT. Set up on video is awesome with sound. Great range, small camera and good batterly life. I have had good luck with truth cam 35 as well. Not as good night time range but good trigger and amazing battery life. takes D batteries though but will last you a whole season.

The new truth cam mini cams look very good. The covert CA3.0 is a good one I hear as well.

X2. I have the same cameras and agree 100%.

I have a covert CA3.0. Amazing battery life on just 2 - AA batteries! No sound in the video mode, but it is really compact and takes pretty dang good pictures. The only thing I don't like about it is to change any functions you have to have a wired remote with you that plugs into the camera. Makes for less stuff on the camera itself, but you have to remember to bring the remote. Good camera though.

I have (3) of the older Truth Cam 35's and have loved them. Just bought (2) of the Truth Cam 35 Ultra's and am very excited to see how they do. They've got a Bushnell Trophy Cam type of look/size and also have time lapse which will be nice. I'm also excited to see how the time lapse/trigger pics work together since they have a hybrid mode as well. Anyone tried them out yet?

I have 2 Covert CA3.0's and love them. Excellent picture quality and their customer service is second to none. Hard to beat for under $100 IMO

I have a Moultrie D-55 IR with 6 C batteries that are rechargable, works great! Rechargables work for 3-4 months then recharge.

That $125 range is very popular and makes us all go crazy picking!

I bought several moultrie m-80's last year and really liked them. Bought them as low as $99 and as high as $119. Needed replacements this year and could not decide since the m-80's appear to be no longer made. Cabelas did have some in stock for $100 tho i believe, but nothing local.

I ended up getting some new m-80xd's... $135, and im sure ill love them. Spendy for lithium 2A's for it, but worth it. Theyll last most guys all through hunting season.

Another option i thought about was the redesigned d55ir i think??? Around $100, and may be better than original ones.

Ended up choosing the M series though for the 2A battery use, and once you haul the tiny things around you enjoy the size of the things!

i have never had any luck using rechargable batteries. actually the cheapest brand i can buy usually worked best for me

tph said:
i have never had any luck using rechargable batteries. actually the cheapest brand i can buy usually worked best for me

Hmm, funny! Mine have always worked great. I got my D-55IR for $79.99 on sale online. The rechargeable batteries have lasted a little over 1 year so far. I'm hoping my camera doesn't outlive the batteries.

Edit: I bought a M80x Mini that takes 4-6 AA Batteries yesterday. Bought it online for $109.82. AA batteries will be way less expensive than the C cell batteries! Plus, the C cells I did get only lasted 1 month, but my rechargeable batteries last longer.

Last edited:
Dont know how ur getting that good of life out of C's in the d55. I burned through C's on my d55ir. Hated lugging batteries in with me to check cams.

We just bought Moultrie D55 flash cameras and security boxes. We have had good luck with these cameras for the past two years from june thru february(when they don't get stolen). We put them thru the harshest weather and they held up great. Battery life is actually pretty good. We change batteries out once per season. We got a two pack of cams and security boxes for $160. Pretty good deal. Love the display on the pictures too.

FYI... never tried rechargables, but im starting my third season ( june - march) on AA lithiums for bushnell trophy cam.

133.jpg

155.jpg

Walmart has the truth cam 46's for $100 ship to store and it comes with a 20/20 mount. Night time pics are a little brighter than the 35's. @25,000 pics from 4D batteries, they were showin 20% still left when I replaced them earlier this week. Have it set on 3shot burst every 30sec 46leds 5mp.

I am HORRIBLE at making decisions and going with them. I think I have it narrowed to the covert 3.0 or a bushnell trophy cam. Which one would you rather have and why?

Last edited:
I have one friend that loves his bushnell's, but ive read a lot of mixed reviews. No exp with the covert, but heard and continue to hear good things about them.

From what ive read up on, and prices that i recall on them... Id try the covert i think

Don't know much about the coverts, but I have been pleased with my bushnells. The pic quality isn't the best, but overall isn't bad for a camera at that price. I think the battery life is what ultimately sold me on them

Top Bottom