Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Best waterproof slate call?

Nobody else has been disappointed with their slate call once it got wet and found a better alternative call?

Try to keep them dry, if not most of mine will still work with a carbon striker when wet.

Jarin

I hate aluminum. Seems like you constantly have to rough it. Same with aluminum strikers. My all time favorite wet or dry is a call primos made a while back with a frictionite surface( whatever that is). Don't know if they still make them or not, but it sounds great with all types of strikers. I think I have a carbon and an acrylic striker for wet conditions but prefer wood otherwise. Slate and aluminum pots don't even compare IMO. Never tried glass though.

I have a half dozen or more different type of calls in my vest, but when push comes to shove...and especially in wet weather, I rely on a mouth call. I takes a bunch of practice, but if I had to leave the truck with only one, the "cheeseburger" call would be the one...a stacked double reed mouth call that feels like you're eating a cheeseburger when you first put it in, but when practiced enough, can make all of the calls and be totally hands free; especially important when hunting with a bow. Good luck :D

NWBuck

I use mouth calls, but I am just not confident in them. Should I practice more? Absolutely. I tell myself that every year and do well for alittle while. I will switch to a mouth call for some up close calling, but I just don't like my tone when I try to be loud. I am much more confident in my slate call. I have an old HS Black Magic that I have been using forever, but it never has worked well wet. I was thinking after all of these tears there should be something better. Thanks for the feedback.

Best way I've found to keep slate calls from getting wet is to carry them in a 1 gallon freezer bag, keeps them dry, and when its raining I can get both hands in the bag to use it when needed. That being said, practice, practice practice your mouth calling, the less movement the better when turkey hunting.

Top Bottom