Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Better safe than sorry!

jharrell

I know you guys won't believe this but I want to talk on a serious note for just a minute.

A couple of weeks ago I had a carbon arrow break when I shot it. What was left of the arrow and the string caught my arm just below the elbow. I should have taken a picture but my arm from just below the elbow down to my wrist was a real nice yellow to dark purple for a couple of weeks. The arrow was one I had missed my target with earlier when I was sighting back in my field points and used the wrong pin, shooting my arrow under my target. When I found the arrow it seemed to be just fine so I thought I would shoot it to see if it would fly okay. Big mistake! Although my arm was scratched up a bit I am thankful what was left of the arrow didn't go through my arm.

Lessons I learned: 1. If in doubt don't shoot it. 2. I never wore an arm guard, but now I do.

Good call Headgear, glad to hear that you're okay. When I was 6 or 7 I remember being at a shoot when carbons first came out. I look up and there's a guy walking down the path with blood everywhere. The shaft snapped at the mid point and the fletching half went through, and splintered out, the middle of his hand. It took me a loooong time to get that out of my head but your story brought it all back.

Now, if I can be un-serious for a moment, you did know you can use a clinometer to check for cracks/blemishes in the arrow shaft, right??
wink.gif
Sorry, couldn't resist, glad to hear that a potential major accident only gave you a bruise, must be your Misery toughness.
893USA1-thumb[1].gif

Thanks Muddy. Actually as I was dancing around the yard holding my arm above my heart thinking it would make the pain go away I was thinking of what you might have to say and I was wondering how the clinometer would get in there. That thought was the only thing that kept me from laying down and crying like a baby.

i think the thought of someone bringing up the clinometer again would make me sit down and cry like a baby. isn't it amazing how, whenever we hurt ourselves, we think that dancing and shaking whatever got hurt will make it get better?? sorta like when i practically cut my finger tip off while sawing through some frozen deer haunch i shook it like the hokey pokey and ran around...all i succeeded in doing was making a larger mess that my dad made me clean up...nevermind that my finger was a-dangling!!
wtf.gif

Top Bottom